burst bombs

chubbypickle

Inkling Cadet
in the past they never bothered me but lately it seems squids are getting more kills with their sub weapon burst bombs than their main weapon................. i hate burst bombs

Minato Arisato

Senior Squid
When you get splatted by them, check your opponent's abilities. Do they have Damage Up? Because that greatly helps this sub's splash damage.

GrandestMagus

Inkster Jr.
When they use BB like that, I try to keep my distance from them and if I do get close, I try to strafe. (Burst bombs at their least in splash damage will take 5 hits to kill.) Also, build defense up.

chubbypickle

Inkling Cadet
unfortunately my main gun in up close only and i can't afford to use defense in my abilities so it's something that i have to just except if i don't kill asap, I hold s rank consistently it just those bombs are my nemesis

tanDaMan

Inkling
NNID
downeaznboi
They're kinda needed when you have a weapon with short range though

xXShadeXx

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-3241-7928-4020
Well with the update coming shortly, you could use Bomb Sniffer to reduce damage. Correct me if I'm wrong, but skimming around I heard it'd take about 3 direct hits to splat etc (damage up may alter it). Damage ups just increase the damage they do. If you realize a weapon has a burst bomb sub and stacked damage up, it'd be best to try and strafe around them. Most tend to throw them at the ground when you're close anyway. So when you're close, you're bound to get directly hit.

Sgo-J

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Yulwei
Wear the bomb sniffer Inkline shoes. You still have 2 mains and 6 subs for whatever other abilities you want

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
As an eliter burst bomb main, I feel for you. :D (Just kidding, I main Custom with the beacons, but also play vanilla sometimes to make use of burst bombs in maps where Custom & Dynamo won't play well. But coming from custom I'm used to having to get the kill with the main gun first. The "burst bomb main" bad snipers annoy me too, but in some maps & rotations (mackerel!) it's the only way to really be effective among my main weapons where the enemy is GOING to get close and I can't prevent it any other way.)

The thing is even with my half-stacked damage up, you still have to AIM the burst bombs to get the khko. It's still hard with a moving target. Treat the wielder like they're using a Rapid Blaster - it's a similar area of effect and damage type. 2hko direct hit, 3-5 indirect. Ink tank holds enough for 4 or 5 IF I've taken no prior shots (which is unlikely) and once I've spent them, I'm defenseless. I have to retreat and plan for that if I'm missing.

There are those really cheap burst bomb mains that drop them on their feet so if you're hugging them at sploosh/brush range they'll get you without aim. Yeah, they're just playing cheap. Though with a krak-on and the fling range I'd think you could get them from far enough away they can't do that, they have to aim for you. With the swing speed of krak-on you should be able to at worst get a trade.

The TRUE burst bomb mains that effectively never use their main weapon and just go around lobbing spammy burst bombs with ink saver sub/recovery stacked up. They're exploiting the game more or less. But if it's an eliter, assume they're doing it because they SUCK at sniping. Just stay out of their bomb range. If it's a carbon roller, well, roller v roller action is ALWAYS dangerous. But after they throw a few they HAVE to retreat. If it's something like splattershot well I can't imagine why someone would waste their ink on bomb attacks when they have a splattershot that does it faster & cheaper.

And of course there's bomb sniffer now. Flat 20% dmg reduction on burst bombs (grrr that's gonna be irritating for my eliter!). I don't know what you're using on your feet, but if it's ink resist, the basic rollers & carbon rollers are among the few weapons I don't feel needs ink resist. Sniffer might work well if it's a big issue.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
Overall, my most commonly-used weapon at present is probably the Slosher, and I believe that Burst Bombs are an ideal complement to its attacks. For one, a weakness at close range can be that if the opponent jumps around, it becomes very difficult to get a single hit off because of the narrow range of the start of its slosh; Burst Bombs allow that as described above. Also, they hugely boost its effective range: in Splat Zones and on maps with hotly-contested central zones (which I suppose is virtually all of them), I like to hide myself in a spot with a good view and start harassing opponents from afar or help team-mates who are defending further forwards by getting some extra damage off.

Incidentally, I had far too much fun at one point playing Turf War with the standard Splattershot but exclusively using my Sub and Special, not even attacking the ground to get out of enemy ink; I didn't touch the ZR button at all. I actually got something like 20,000p covered over the course of this experiment. As well as serving totally to infuriate my mostly-doomed team-members, it gave me a much greater understanding of the capabilities of Burst Bombs and, for example, how much Damage Up was useful before it became better to equip Bomb Range Up. I definitely never like to use Burst Bombs without at least one Range Main Ability.

Nousha

Full Squid
NNID
NoushaKhanom
@chubbypickle Well lucky you! :) With the latest update the ink consumption went from 25% to 40%, making BB kamikazes extremely risky now and overall greatly decreasing their effectiveness (now that you can only use 2 instead of 4 in a row under normal circumstances. It takes 2 Sub saver mains now in order to be able to throw only 3 in a row.)

Anyway, as a Neo Splash and E-Liter 3K user, I was actually extremely salty at first over the nerf, even if the blast radius was buffed. I can see why nintendo may have done this though. I plan to make a thread soon on the new burst bombs though.

Award

@chubbypickle Well lucky you! :) With the latest update the ink consumption went from 25% to 40%, making BB kamikazes extremely risky now and overall greatly decreasing their effectiveness (now that you can only use 2 instead of 4 in a row under normal circumstances. It takes 2 Sub saver mains now in order to be able to throw only 3 in a row.)

Anyway, as a Neo Splash and E-Liter 3K user, I was actually extremely salty at first over the nerf, even if the blast radius was buffed. I can see why nintendo may have done this though. I plan to make a thread soon on the new burst bombs though.
FWIW I'm liking the new burst bombs. For my play style it's definitely a buff. It removed the spamming of them but made them more powerful for the way I always used them. With vanilla eliter I get 20% of my kills from bombs alone and probably 40% from a mix of bomb+uncharged shot :)

So funny that vanilla was so popular because of burst bombs before, so I go all hipster and go to custom. Then the nerf happens and everyone flees to custom, and I'm forced to "condescend" to vanilla only to find that's now the hipster one "I play burst bombs even AFTER they suck!" :P

Nousha

Full Squid
NNID
NoushaKhanom
Speaking of which, how well does BB+uncharged shot work for you? Range would be lessened but it would definitely aid closer quarter combat with less of an ink toll.

Go figure how you seem to be the only one playing the uncommon version lol :P

Award

Speaking of which, how well does BB+uncharged shot work for you? Range would be lessened but it would definitely aid closer quarter combat with less of an ink toll.

Go figure how you seem to be the only one playing the uncommon version lol :p
I take pride in maining the weapons everyone ignores ;)

BB+uncharged is definitely working very well. Unlike the old burst bombs it seems like the bombs hit with enough damage guaranteed that if you heard a hit an uncharged shot (or fraction-of-a-second held charge at least) should finish them (or vice versa.) Also, due to the faster charge times, two VERY FRACTIONALLY charged shots (I'm talking measured in tenths of seconds) should kill like a bamboozler. CQC on vanilla definitely got a buff, is mostly unchanged on custom and midrange was mostly gutted on both but the ability to close in with vanilla makes up for it a bit. It makes vanilla MORE aggressive, oddly as it's as capable close up as a bamboozler (almost...it's slower in all ways of course.) Note that I've stripped ALL damage up now. (Yeah, I'm now running vanilla scope without any damage up....it's a fair hipster tradeoff from my custom :P )

I do miss my beacons a lot, I liked that playstyle, but the way I used it gets really, really hurt by the midrange nerf. I liked to fall back with quick SJ to a rear perch and take out the approaching foe....doesn't work so much at that range now. But the ability to go CQC with vanilla makes up for it a little :)

Nousha

Full Squid
NNID
NoushaKhanom
@Award Great to hear! I'm looking forward to experimenting with that :)

Anyway, I just made the thread on new burst bombs and I might add some of feedback there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom