Café Functionality in V3.0.0 patch?

Ink Gunner Emily

Full Squid
NNID
Ayerin

Wouldn't it be cool if Nintendo added functionality to the closed cafe in Inkopolis Plaza? Maybe it could be used for Spectator Mode. What features would you like to see?

Source: https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkjEjDlRQ
That would be cool actually to see it used as the area to go to watch matches in action. That would be rather interesting. Maybe, since there is a money system applied already, you could actually buy a drink and /or food to give you a temporary boost in abilities for matches you join or something. Maybe even interact with other inklings while there too, like an area to converse and meet other players.

D

Deleted Member

That would be cool actually to see it used as the area to go to watch matches in action. That would be rather interesting. Maybe, since there is a money system applied already, you could actually buy a drink and /or food to give you a temporary boost in abilities for matches you join or something. Maybe even interact with other inklings while there too, like an area to converse and meet other players.
Yeah. The Battle Lobby is for playing in online matches, so I feel that the Cafe should be reserved for watching online matches. The drinks/food giving a temporary boosts is a great idea, although I feel it would be bad for online play and better suited for Story Mode, especially since the Cafe is right next to the Octo Valley entrance.

Oh.

This looks like an old glitch. I don't see any reason to believe why Nintendo would do anything with the unused background parts of the map.
Its an unused building in the central part of Inkopolis Plaza. I feel like giving it a unique purpose would make the main hub feel more 'alive'.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ink Gunner Emily

Full Squid
NNID
Ayerin
I think the drinks/food giving a temporary boosts would be better suited for Story Mode, especially since the Cafe is right next to the Octo Valley entrance.
That would make logical sense too actually. While I've not really played the story mode myself, having a boost in ability for a short time could help for that. But let's say that the effects for food and drinks work differently depending on what you are doing. For Turf and Ranked, the boost could be more for a temp speed boost. For Story Mode, it could be a boost in attack power and evasiveness. Something like that.

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
I remember when this first came up there was the idea that the food and drink served there would buff the Inkling in one aspect but also nerf them in another, and the effects would last until the food was fully digested. For example, a Cephaliano coffee would give you Run Speed Up but also Swim Speed Down and would last ten matches. It'd be great to see that and Spectator mode in action there.

Last edited:

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
I doubt it could become something like that, but that does not mean I don't want it. I would love for Inkopolis Plaza to be a place where you can spend time doing lots of different things. Maybe some mini games to earn some squid dollars(or squollars, as I call them) on the side. Maybe in Splat-2-n we can get a more involved plaza.

As for the idea of buffs from food and drinks, I like it, but I think it would be only usable in turf wars, and the effects would not carry on into Ranked. Maybe it could be used to help new players who don't have access to clothing with 3 slots, that way veteran players can't completely dominate them. The higher level you get, the less of a boost you get from the food, perhaps? That way it stays as something to help lower level players be a bit more competitive.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
The café? What about that shop with the arcade cabinet in front of it that's always closed? No one pays attention to that place. (Maybe a legwear shop?)

Lorbeerprinz

Full Squid
NNID
lorbeerprinz
I agree that temporal buffs could be hard to implement, or rather, balance out well. I mean, you could restrict it to, for example, one buff/debuff at a time, but even then it would have to be further restricted (like decreasing its actual buff with rising level, like mentioned somewhere above) and then would become pointless at some point. But I agree that the Café would make a great and logical place to put a spectator lobby. There could also be a system similar to SSB4's spectator mode that gives you the option to bet some money on one of the teams. All in all, I feel like Inkopolis Plaza as a whole still has a lot of space for new ideas, either for actual new game mechanics or just little gimmicks to kill some time.

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
Instead of buffs, perhaps something like a change in how you're rewarded for games. Maybe you can turn off your point gains for ranked wins in exchange for more money. Another option could be something like a rotating variety mode. For example, going to the cafe on one day may allow players to play in a mode where people move faster, or weapons do more damage, anything is possible. This could be explained by eating the food having an effect on the squids. It may sound silly, but the cafe really seems HEAVILY themed around the food you get there. If it were for spectator mode, I'd think there would at least be a TV somewhere. That's the prime reason I'd say it's about the food, and what that food may do is important.

GerbilCrab475

Inkster Jr.
NNID
GerbilCrab
A spectator mode would be cool. Especially if you could watch people you recently played against (and got rekt by) in order to see how they play. That way you can pick up strategies off of them and learn how to counter them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom