• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Calamari Cup: Extra Hot Mix! Feedback Thread

Calamari Cup

Inkling
Welcome, everyone! This is the feedback thread for our tournament Calamari Cup: Extra Hot Mix!

No tournament is perfect, and this includes ours. Anything we did well, anything we did poorly, anything needing improvement, please post your thoughts on our tourney below!

Also, just a question for confirmation: Any of you who were in the first Calamari Cup, was this one better or worse?

Thank you!​

Squidimitri

Inkster Jr.
NNID
pairofsawks
So for the most part this tournament was good, and being in the first Calamari Cup I could even say this one was largely better than the first. But the one thing that needs addressing was the seeding for the final stage. In the bottom half of the bracket, it's perfectly logical. Teams who finished first in group stages get byes, teams who finished second facing teams who finished third.

But in the top half of the bracket we faced another team who finished second (Squids Next Door), and two third place finishers faced off. I don't see the logical reason behind that, it really wasn't fair to either team, regardless of who won. It was essentially a punishment for winning more matches in the group stage for both us and for SND. It's not really about us losing because honestly I'd be here making this post even if we won the match, but that can't happen in future tournaments, it made winning in the group stage pointless.

Burritoburger

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Burritoburger
But in the top half of the bracket we faced another team who finished second (Squids Next Door), and two third place finishers faced off. I don't see the logical reason behind that, it really wasn't fair to either team, regardless of who won. It was essentially a punishment for winning more matches in the group stage for both us and for SND. It's not really about us losing because honestly I'd be here making this post even if we won the match, but that can't happen in future tournaments, it made winning in the group stage pointless.
We made that decision in haste, and apologize for that mistake. If we do another tourney, we'll make sure it doesn't happen again.

Blacklist Lagnators from participating in future tournaments, thanks.
Now you know we can't do that. What we CAN do is put in a sort of "lag rule" where games heavily affected by lag have special exceptions, or otherwise. I'll be sure to talk about the lag issues with the other TOs.

Bangerz

Inkster Jr.
NNID
benshever
The tournament ran smoothly. Everything was organized and the rules were clear.

Only problem was team Lagnator in group C. I've already said everything I wanted to say in the discord chat. So I'll just repeat myself for everyone to see.

Team Alias will not be competing in the next Calimari Cup if Inknators are signed up AND there is no rules for lagging. Our team experienced the worst lag we have ever encountered and it made the game basically unplayable. All other teams in our group agreed about the unbearable lag.

By round 3, the laggy player was forced to sit out, and without a sub, inknators had to play 3v4 against Rainmaker team and (I believe, but not 100%) team Nintendome. Alias (and Green Team), had to play all 5 matches against the lagnators 4v4 and it was unbearable.

Basically, we got screwed.

The inknator captain seems very nice and understanding, but I don't think it was right for them to move on to the KO round. I hope the TO feels bad that Los Falcon Punch and On The Blink had to experience something so frustrating as this team's lag in the KO rounds. Lagnator beat both of those teams and ended up falling to Cyberbullies in the semis.

RemiRei

Inkster Jr.
NNID
RemiRei
Now you know we can't do that. What we CAN do is put in a sort of "lag rule" where games heavily affected by lag have special exceptions, or otherwise. I'll be sure to talk about the lag issues with the other TOs.
The problem is that they always lag, you can see it in the video that Timmy posted, it isn't going to magically stop when they enter another tournament. An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure.

But yeah, some sort of 'lag rule' is a step in the right direction.

Prinny

Inkling
NNID
Prinnie
I think Ink Storm had a "lag rule" implemented. I don't know why we didn't continue to use it.

Attachments

Burritoburger

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Burritoburger
The problem is that they always lag, you can see it in the video that Timmy posted, it isn't going to magically stop when they enter another tournament. An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure.

But yeah, some sort of 'lag rule' is a step in the right direction.
So then what would we do if we blacklisted them and another laggy team enters? Blacklist them in the next? What about ones after that?
We don't want to prevent anyone from participating in the tourney, they are totally allowed to enter. The lag rule would be meant to not only to make it fair for players going against lag but also to deter teams with bad connection from entering in the first place, or get better internet before doing so.

However, if they enter again and the problems still haven't been fixed, you can voice your complaints even more if the lag rule doesn't work out. If that's the case, we'll figure out something else. But we don't want to tell someone they aren't allowed to join based on something they can't directly control or can't take the risk to do so. They didn't even do it with malicious intent (as far as we're aware).

Just know we are aware of the problem and we hear your concerns. We will for sure deal with said problem, just not in the way you've recommended.

I think Ink Storm had a "lag rule" implemented. I don't know why we didn't continue to use it.
I wasn't aware of that. Neat.

Thanks to everyone posting in this thread, it's nice to know the tourney was a success and what we can improve! We'll keep these thoughts in mind if we do another tourney.

Dne1494

Inkling
Only problem was team Lagnator in group C. I've already said everything I wanted to say in the discord chat. So I'll just repeat myself for everyone to see.

Team Alias will not be competing in the next Calimari Cup if Inknators are signed up AND there is no rules for lagging. Our team experienced the worst lag we have ever encountered and it made the game basically unplayable. All other teams in our group agreed about the unbearable lag.

By round 3, the laggy player was forced to sit out, and without a sub, inknators had to play 3v4 against Rainmaker team and (I believe, but not 100%) team Nintendome. Alias (and Green Team), had to play all 5 matches against the lagnators 4v4 and it was unbearable.
I'm very sorry that the lag was this much of a problem. I really do wish we could have dealt with it early, however, we did not receive any formal complaints about it until Rainmaker's stream. Trust us that we will work this out as much as possible for any future tournaments.

Again, I'm sorry
The inknator captain seems very nice and understanding, but I don't think it was right for them to move on to the KO round. I hope the TO feels bad that Los Falcon Punch and On The Blink had to experience something so frustrating as this team's lag in the KO rounds. Lagnator beat both of those teams and ended up falling to Cyberbullies in the semis.
I'd like to point out that Inkinator subbed out their player that was the heaviest offender of the lag issues for KO rounds. As far as I can tell, lag was no longer a significant issue in their KO games. Here's FP's video of their match:

Bangerz

Inkster Jr.
NNID
benshever
I'm very sorry that the lag was this much of a problem. I really do wish we could have dealt with it early, however, we did not receive any formal complaints about it until Rainmaker's stream. Trust us that we will work this out as much as possible for any future tournaments.

Again, I'm sorry

I'd like to point out that Inkinator subbed out their player that was the heaviest offender of the lag issues for KO rounds. As far as I can tell, lag was no longer a significant issue in their KO games. Here's FP's video of their match:
Actually we did say something to Demoise after round 1. But I guess it wasn't taken seriously until round 3.

Vintagestep

Full Squid
NNID
Vintagestep
Hokusai Squad here, it was our first tournament, all worked properly, we learnt a lot, just the issue with the replacement of Team Green 2 for SND, it took a lot of time and delayed all the rounds on group A by 30 minutes, some captains also got a bit confused. It was a pity I miss knockout streams, but I needed to rest for a while.

We are looking forward to more things like this, and hopefully get better.

Vintagestep

Full Squid
NNID
Vintagestep
If I'm right I played him on one of the first japanese fest(just westerns on ranked, much to test over) and got REALLY MAD, was on camp triggerfish, I was on the right of their zone, got splatted and then he appeared rolling near the moving walls heading to our zone, I just yelled "And you guys says **** have the lag".
Ryan, roller, how can't forget that...

But forbid them because of that is very arbitrary, let's try to set lag rules as Inkstorm had.

Silver

Speedrunning Inkling
NNID
MHFsilver
Please for the love of all that is holy, have a rule about laggy players next time.

Shalnark

Full Squid
I enjoyed this tournament. There was minimal delay between rounds and the group stage ended quickly.

Njok

Bouncer
About the lag: does anyone have an actual suggestion for a lag rule?

Yes, I've seen the Inkstorm rule. Not saying it's a bad rule, but this basically gives teams that have a streamer / someone recording a huge advantage over teams that don't, since the latter won't be able to prove it.

If video proof is not needed, well i don't even want to think about that. I'm pretty sure we can all see how open to abuse that rule would be.

For the record, i'm not saying that it's a fun experience to play lag like that and i really feel bad for the teams that had to go up against them. I'm just saying that there isn't a really good way to deal with this for the TOs, or else i am sure they would have.

OT: I enjoyed the Calamari Cup as much as i did the last one. Count us in if there is to be a third edition :)

Silver

Speedrunning Inkling
NNID
MHFsilver
About the lag: does anyone have an actual suggestion for a lag rule?

Yes, I've seen the Inkstorm rule. Not saying it's a bad rule, but this basically gives teams that have a streamer / someone recording a huge advantage over teams that don't, since the latter won't be able to prove it.

If video proof is not needed, well i don't even want to think about that. I'm pretty sure we can all see how open to abuse that rule would be.

For the record, i'm not saying that it's a fun experience to play lag like that and i really feel bad for the teams that had to go up against them. I'm just saying that there isn't a really good way to deal with this for the TOs, or else i am sure they would have.

OT: I enjoyed the Calamari Cup as much as i did the last one. Count us in if there is to be a third edition :)
The rule should be something like this:

If you believe a player in your match is lagging to an extent that the match is unfair, record proof of the player. If the TO's agree that the player's lag is to an extreme extent, a match will be re-done (kinda like the DC rule). If said player continues to lag through that game the player must be dropped from the team and replaced by another member for the rest of the set or until the player can fix their connection (maybe restart their router/modem).

That may seem a bit harsh but a lot of teams tend to have backups anyway and to my understanding |IN| did have another member. I'm a part of SRL (Rainmaker did Nothing Wrong) and I was told that |IN| stated that Ryan had bad internet and asked of our team to make it into a 3v3 but since we're still had people willing to play, there was no 3v3. |IN| decided to include Ryan in the matches to keep it a 4v4 with the knowledge that there would be issues. After having to redo the same round 3 times, 2dos the captain asked |IN| to replace Ryan to which he was told he was "salty" which wouldn't you be a bit upset at having to redo the same game 3 times? If you want to see how bad it got you can watch the video linked by Toufool or go back into 2dos' past broadcasts on Twitch. It's pretty insane how bad the lag in the match was and in no way should have been acceptable. Just SOMETHING needs to be done about this.

Njok

Bouncer
The rule should be something like this:

If you believe a player in your match is lagging to an extent that the match is unfair, record proof of the player. If the TO's agree that the player's lag is to an extreme extent, a match will be re-done (kinda like the DC rule). If said player continues to lag through that game the player must be dropped from the team and replaced by another member for the rest of the set or until the player can fix their connection (maybe restart their router/modem).

That may seem a bit harsh but a lot of teams tend to have backups anyway and to my understanding |IN| did have another member. I'm a part of SRL (Rainmaker did Nothing Wrong) and I was told that |IN| stated that Ryan had bad internet and asked of our team to make it into a 3v3 but since we're still had people willing to play, there was no 3v3. |IN| decided to include Ryan in the matches to keep it a 4v4 with the knowledge that there would be issues. After having to redo the same round 3 times, 2dos the captain asked |IN| to replace Ryan to which he was told he was "salty" which wouldn't you be a bit upset at having to redo the same game 3 times? If you want to see how bad it got you can watch the video linked by Toufool or go back into 2dos' past broadcasts on Twitch. It's pretty insane how bad the lag in the match was and in no way should have been acceptable. Just SOMETHING needs to be done about this.
I would be upset, yes. Once again, i am not saying that this guy was not laggy and i am not saying that you guys don't have a reason to be upset. In fact, i watched the video and even said that in my previous post. I was not attacking you or any other team that had to play these guys, i actually even said i feel bad for you guys.

You have video proof now and it's really clear to see for everyone. But what happens if you don't have video proof? Are TOs just supposed to take anyone's word for it?

And if the rules include having to have video proof, then we are basically telling everyone else to spend a few hundred dollar for a capture card if they don't want to be at a disadvantage.

Those two things were my point. i'm not saying this guys wasn't laggy and i'm not saying i don't wish we had a good solution for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom