• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Calamari Cup Feedback Thread!

Blast

Inactive
NNID
Blastystoise
So with the group stage of the Calamari Cup just finished, I'm sure some of you may have some things you want to have clarified or you want to point out. We're also open to any suggestions, of course! Thanks in advance for replying :3

Kbot

Full-time TO
Event Organizer
You guys had great intentions with this tournament. Just some things, like map releasing and such weren't planned on time and made it seem disorganized. I'm just saying in general.

Also, I feel like the whole group format into double elim is better served with more teams. Just my thoughts.

Great job, though. Can't wait to see what you guys come up with next! :)

AGES

Full Squid
NNID
Snicks
I liked how maps worked in this tourney(rotating game modes with pre-selected maps), I think it works really well with Splatoon and would be happy to see more of it.

Everything else I would have to say pretty much mirrors what Kres said, in somewhat smaller tourneys like these its probably fine to just go double elim and skip the group stage.

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
Sadly, sometimes people DC. It's not fun for anyone and it can be very frustrating during time restricted tournaments. To keep things running, if a player DCs more than 3 times in a single match, the win will go to the other team. As a special exception, team leaders can decide to substitute a players with connection problems in the middle of the match, once per match.
This is a terrible DC rule. The same person has to DC 3 times in a row in order for a match to go against them? In Squiddernauts vs C- game 4, they were playing Splat Zones on Bluefin Depot. With 25 Seconds left, Squiddernauts was up by about 35 or 40 points, and one of C-'s players disconnected. Most people would agree that the win should go to Squiddernauts anyway, but by your ruleset that would have to happen 3 times with the same player disconnecting in order to give the win to Squiddernauts. Now, I trust that this was a legitimate DC, as C- are very good people, but it would be much too easy to abuse this rule by intentionally DCing. You could potentially reset each game 8 times before any penalties are handed to you. We really need to start implementing harsher DC rules.

Other than that though the tournament seems to be going well

Blast

Inactive
NNID
Blastystoise
You guys had great intentions with this tournament. Just some things, like map releasing and such weren't planned on time and made it seem disorganized. I'm just saying in general.

Also, I feel like the whole group format into double elim is better served with more teams. Just my thoughts.

Great job, though. Can't wait to see what you guys come up with next! :)
I liked how maps worked in this tourney(rotating game modes with pre-selected maps), I think it works really well with Splatoon and would be happy to see more of it.

Everything else I would have to say pretty much mirrors what Kres said, in somewhat smaller tourneys like these its probably fine to just go double elim and skip the group stage.
Thanks for the feedback! We'll try to release all the information needed for a tournament like this at once, that's probably more convenient for everyone. Also, we were trying out the format with the group stages to see how they'd work and I thought they worked out alright, though I agree they'd be more useful in a tourney with more people competing, so we'll keep that in mind next time :3
This is a terrible DC rule. The same person has to DC 3 times in a row in order for a match to go against them? In Squiddernauts vs C- game 4, they were playing Splat Zones on Bluefin Depot. With 25 Seconds left, Squiddernauts was up by about 35 or 40 points, and one of C-'s players disconnected. Most people would agree that the win should go to Squiddernauts anyway, but by your ruleset that would have to happen 3 times with the same player disconnecting in order to give the win to Squiddernauts. Now, I trust that this was a legitimate DC, as C- are very good people, but it would be much too easy to abuse this rule by intentionally DCing. You could potentially reset each game 8 times before any penalties are handed to you. We really need to start implementing harsher DC rules.

Other than that though the tournament seems to be going well
I definitely agree with you on this, hands down. At the time, I was watching that match too and I was honestly pretty shocked when I realized it's so easy to abuse, though of course I'm not accusing anyone. @Demiose has thought of a better rule regarding DCs, so we'll definitely be implementing that in the next tourney we'll be organizing. If the teams still in the tournament are okay with it, we could even implement it for the knock-out stage tomorrow, as well. DCs will always be problem in any tournament, but our ruleset didn't deal with them properly this time. Thanks for your feedback and sorry for the inconvenience this rule has caused, everyone ;;

Demiose

Inky Surprise
NNID
iEndzone
NEW DC RULE:

So since our original DC rule didn't work out so well and many people voiced their complaints about it, we're going to be implementing a new rule for the rest of the tourney

We'll divide DC types into 2: Last minutes, and General DC's

LAST MINUTE DC'S:
If a player disconnects in a match with less than a minute left on the clock - While the opponent team is in the lead, The game is continued and counted towards your win/loss. It will not be replayed.

If a player on the winning team at the moment DC's with less than a minute left, the match is repeated whether they end up winning or losing. This is counted as a General DC

IF ANY PLAYER ON ANY TEAM DISCONNECTS DURING OVERTIME - THE MATCH IS NOT REPLAYED AND COUNTED AS A LAST MINUTE DC FOR THAT TEAM
GENERAL DC'S:
Meanwhile, DC'ing in general (Which includes DCing by either team in the first 4 minutes) is only given a single warning. If anybody gets a second DC (Which is counted in terms of the whole team, not specific players) Then the specific game will be counted as a loss. A 3rd DC from any other player in the team and the whole set will be forfeited.

------------

When a DC occurs and the match is replayed, players from both teams will have to use the same weapons they originally chose. We'll be going off the basis that people are truthful and won't lie for the sake of a game. If a player is subbed out, which can only be done after 1 DC, the sub must use the same weapon as the previous member if the same game is being replayed (This only happens in the case of a general DC)

Last edited:

Njok

Bouncer
Guys on our part all i can say is good job! I really enjoyed the group stage + elimination structure, it's nice to have at least 3 matches guaranteed. It all went really smooth and fast and i had a lot of fun!

The one thing though was Blackbelly Rainmaker in the map/mode selection, but i assumed this was picked by a random selection tool or something.

Blast

Inactive
NNID
Blastystoise
Guys on our part all i can say is good job! I really enjoyed the group stage + elimination structure, it's nice to have at least 3 matches guaranteed. It all went really smooth and fast and i had a lot of fun!

The one thing though was Blackbelly Rainmaker in the map/mode selection, but i assumed this was picked by a random selection tool or something.
Thanks for the feedback, I'm pretty sure maps and modes were randomized, yeah. Since there's no 'official' map/mode bans either all the combinations were possible too, oh well.

jamesrcade

Senior Squid
I think you're over complicating the disconnect rule a bit

I'd be in favour of just letting the result stand what ever happens, and it's up to that team whether they want to sub the person out the next game if they're having trouble with their internet.

The tournament was great though and I hope to see it again with even more teams :D

Blast

Inactive
NNID
Blastystoise
I think you're over complicating the disconnect rule a bit

I'd be in favour of just letting the result stand what ever happens, and it's up to that team whether they want to sub the person out the next game if they're having trouble with their internet.

The tournament was great though and I hope to see it again with even more teams :D
Thanks for the feedback, we'll be sure to have some better clearer DC rules up next time :3

Also, how did everyone like the use of Discord in this tourney? It's one of the first tourneys that used it exclusively and I honestly think it worked pretty well this time (though we should probably figure out how everything works a little bit before the tourney starts, hehe). Please share your opinion too if you want!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom