• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Can anyone develop a weapon tier list? Does that even exist?

MeTaGross

Inkling Cadet
The bambi (i really love that name) is pretty proficient at splatting actually and isn't really all that good at inking turf because of it's really thin inkspread. But i highly agree with the point you're making.
But wait! There's more! You can't spam the bambi for coverage, but if you fully chare each shot it gets some good coverage. Plus you can fire 2 or 3 charged shots per second, so it isn't a major drawback.

Also, coverage vs. kills would be a large area of debate, and each weapon does it differently. The inkbrush is actually really good, at turf war. Don't use it ranked, its purpose is to cover every square inch of the map. If you use it to cover the entire base, you can almost always win, with 1000 points too!
I guess I'll be done now…

Splatoon❤️

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Lbggamer
On an actual strategical/thoughtful note, part of the reason this list can't really exist, the weapon that starts the combat will probably win. The dynamo can probably one-shot the nozzlenose if it comes within 10 feet, but if it's the nozzlenose d then it can burst bomb the roller to death, and the vanilla can hit it with disrupters and beat it in a longer shootout, or either weapon can just rush in and catch the other weapon off-guard.
Maybe but overall the Dynamo would rock

StaffofSmashing

Senior Squid
NNID
Lolu83
Here's my 2 cents about this topic.

A weapon tier list is possible in the vain of the Pokemon Viability Rankings.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/oras-ou-viability-ranking-thread-v5.3571990/

In here this is based off of which Pokemon are fantastic and can beat many mons in the metagame for OU (Clefable), which mons can do well but have minor problems (A Tiers), etc. With this said, as they say in the OP, Garchomp can be A tier as an offensive threat, but Ferrothorn can be A Tier as a supportive threat.

Tying this into Splatoon, we can have weapons that have so many options for every scenario, weapons that have lots of options but have slight problems, etc. We can have the Ttek in S Tier as an offensive threat, but we can also have the Custom Eliter in S as a supportive threat.

Smogon also has a "Sets Viability Rankings" in which they show you which sets work best for the OU Threats. With splatoon we could turn this into a "Playstyles Viability Ranking / Tier List."

TL;DR Tier lists may not work like they do in Smash Bros or other fighting games, but they can work, with all the variety there is, like in the competitive Pokemon scene.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Can we please stop saying that standard tier lists aren't possible in this game? Standard tier lists have been made in the past, it's just that very few of those weren't lazy enough to just parrot "3k/forge/wallgals/ttek/dynamo the best and Aero RG sux laffo". I think it's more the sheer vitrol that they attracted in the past made people despise them that much, but it shouldn't automatically discredit a tier list especially one that has actual research and effort put into it.

Oh, you can be good with a bad or mediocre weapon for sure, but you can't magically fix something like the stupidly high ttk on an inkbrush only work around it. You can be good with an Aero RG, but that doesn't make the weapon itself any better.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I think it is hard to do a tier list because people aren't sure what a tier list is. In my experience with competitive games, tiers are about usage and usage reflects power. So if a tentatek is in every lobby, then it is probably tier 1. If a dual squelcher is in almost every lobby it is probably tier 2. Now, this doesn't mean that the tentatek is objectively more powerful than the dual squelcher, but tiers do in some way reflect power.

If we try to rank things based on power and not by usage, then we get into issues of opinion and feelings get hurt (to say it politely). Honestly, I think @Ultramus's guide which ranked weapons based on usage AND role (with some explanation) was a good start. http://squidboards.com/threads/ultramuss-splatoon-guide-wip.15221/

But I'm not sure if he is still around.

Last edited:

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
It is hard to do a tier list because people aren't sure what a tier list is. In my experience with competitive games, tiers are about usage and usage reflects power. So if a tentatek is in every lobby, then it is probably tier 1. If a dual squelcher is in almost every lobby it is probably tier 2. Now, this doesn't mean that the tentatek is objectively more powerful than the dual squelcher, but tiers do in some way reflect power.

If we try to rank things based on power and not by usage, then we get into issues of opinion and feelings get hurt (to say it politely). Honestly, I think @Ultramus's guide which ranked weapons based on usage AND role (with some explanation) was a good start. http://squidboards.com/threads/ultramuss-splatoon-guide-wip.15221/#post-132089

But I'm not sure if he is still around.
Holy crap I forgot that Mullin made a tier list. He's still active in our discords but he doesn't play Splatoon anymore. He did't even come back to try the new Slosher, and he was by far the most successful vanilla Slosher in tournaments ;-;

Also LOL at the Nozzlenose-Dynamo example. Both Nozzlenose's bomb range variations check Dynamos quite cleanly. That doesn't say anything against his overall point, it's just funny that he chose an arbitrary matchup that happened to be dead wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom