• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Can I have your honest opinions?

Kebab

Full Squid
I think they're cool!

Although they're not my style, but if I were to buy them I'd pay a few dollars :O (I never bought from an artist so I don't know the general price)

lostleader

Senior Squid
NNID
lostleader
Generally speaking you're not supposed to go into something with dollar amounts in mind. Art especially feels more like a pursuit for yourself, rather than for self gain. That being said, I understand people need to eat, have fun, and you know, generally live. Your art isn't exactly my style, but I have seen that kinda of art having a nice niche with people.

Personally I put it somewhere around 2$ for like small stickers, keychains around 4$. That might be a bit much, and too optimistic at this point and time, but your art certainly has a nice spark, and I think if you continue with it you could make some sort of living with that style. At the very least keep it up~

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I'd say in the $5-10 dollar range, it really depends on how long it takes you to complete a drawing. Are you planning on doing commissions? It'd be better to showcase a more diverse set of characters, like put a guy, a furry or a robot in there too. You never know what your client is going to ask you to draw, so it'd be good practise if anything.

And even then you can't expect anyone to show up, especially if you don't have a lot of watchers/subscribers. It's more of a thing you put out there and if someone comes along who is interested, then that's cool. It's not a reliable source of income.
There's also this very ugly habit of people pricing drawings for like 10-50 cents on Deviantart just so they can actually sell them which is just utterly stupid, please don't do that. No matter what quality your drawings are they are more worth then that.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
First, I'd figure out whether you want this to be a full-time career or a side gig for extra money. If the former, I'd look into what jobs you can get with a graphic design/digital art background (or whatever type of art you want to do). If you like what you see, find a good art school and learn everything you can about the type of art you want to make a career out of. Use the college's career counseling and vocational resources to help you find a job you can get into shortly after graduation or find information on how to set up an art gallery. If you want to make this a side gig, I'd still recommend getting some art schooling where you can get formal tutoring and constructive criticism from people who are qualified to give it. In either case, be prepared to receive copious amounts of criticism on your work. Don't take this personal: it's essential to improving and growing in any field. If you're receptive to it, you'll only help yourself get better.

As for the value, they're worth what someone is willing to pay. That may be $0.01, it may be $50. If people aren't willing to pay anything now, that doesn't mean you won't become a successful artist. It means you still have a lot to learn. The question is, are you willing to put in the time and effort to get better and can you handle the years of constructive criticism it takes to cultivate natural talent into a professional skill?

Shikinouta

Inkster Jr.
Generally speaking you're not supposed to go into something with dollar amounts in mind. Art especially feels more like a pursuit for yourself, rather than for self gain. That being said, I understand people need to eat, have fun, and you know, generally live. Your art isn't exactly my style, but I have seen that kinda of art having a nice niche with people.

Personally I put it somewhere around 2$ for like small stickers, keychains around 4$. That might be a bit much, and too optimistic at this point and time, but your art certainly has a nice spark, and I think if you continue with it you could make some sort of living with that style. At the very least keep it up~
Pretty much this. Art, whether it be drawing, music, painting of otherwise, is a constant pursit of self discovery. Well, maybe not that cheesy (wow that was the stupidest thing I've said this week), but it is a great outlet. I'm going through a generally ***** point in my life, but as long as I can contort that into a song/cover that melodically reflects what I feel, I walk away feeling a lot lighter.

mosse

Inkling
If for commissions:

Start at minimum wage and use that by how many hours you put into your work. Don't underprice yourself because even if your art is worth different to others depending on what they're looking for, the price for your time does not.

If for art prints/keychains/merch/etc:

Look at other people's prices and ballpark around there. Obviously don't charge less than the production cost though!

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom