• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Carbon Roller: Analysis and Thoughts Thread

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
I thought I'd like this when I saw its description (a fast Roller? YES PLEASE), but now I have it and...
I dunno, it just doesn't click with me.
It feels like the Mario of Rollers, in that it's pretty much stuck in the middle in most things from what I can tell.
In terms of rolling speed, it beats the Dynamo Roller handily, and the Splat Roller too, but the Inkbrush still wins this race, or at least it feels that way.
In terms of attacking speed, it beats the Dynamo and Splat Rollers again, but I feel it loses to the Inkbrush again.
In terms of attack range, I think it might beat the Inkbrush, but it definitely loses to the Splat Roller and especially the Dynamo Roller.
In terms of power, it definitely beats the Inkbrush (but what doesn't?), but it loses to the Splat and Dynamo Rollers again, this time mostly by virtue of the fact that the Carbon Roller cannot 1-shot people by rolling over them.
I'm not entirely sure what this is meant to do better than all of those. It doesn't seem like it'd cover turf better than the Inkbrush (between Sprinkler, Inkstrike, fastswings and running really fast, I think it's got Carbon beat here) or even the Dynamo Roller (its HUGESWINGS let it cover wide areas fairly quickly, it can still roll, albeit slowly, and it has Sprinkler too, so it's close, at least it seems that way to me), and it can't do combat like the Krak-On (Kraken really helps its case here, but also being able to 1-shot people while not at near-point-blank helps too) or the Dynamo Rollers (HUGESWINGS are slow, yeah, but the range and power'll win quite a few fights, and Gold has Splat Bombs as well), and I can't see it being a purely team-support weapon as well as the Krak-On (Squid Beakons can be extremely useful, as is the ability to create an ink path by just running like all Rollers and the Inkbrush, plus you have the Invincisquid) or Inkbrush (it can't do combat outside ambushes, but its turf covering ability is so much better than every other Roller, and you have the super-speed to go places quickly, also it has Inkstrike and a good skillset for charging Inkstrike fairly quickly).
It feels like some kind of jack-of-all-trades sort of thing, or maybe the Ken to the normal Splat Roller's Ryu (in that it's faster, but not as strong, and its projectile attack isn't as good).
It's probably a decent weapon, it's got the always-okay Burst Bombs for a sub-weapon, and the Inkzooka special for range (and with the added speed, the Carbon Roller should be able to charge it fairly quickly, I think), and that speed combined with the roller's width means you can pave ink-roads for your slower allies, and it still has power with the swing so you could ambush people like an Inkbrush does but faster (because you only have to swing once, twice at most).
But it's just not my kind of weapon.

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
I can't seem to figure this thing out. I play a mean dynamo and a pretty good splat roller, an ink brush I can also handle fairly well, but the carbon roller just feels so... awkward. Like its range is very limited, so you have to get really close, but approaching an enemy is difficult because it doesn't ink fast enough, so you pretty much need to flank and ambush which is very situational. Since I never really used a weapon with splat bombs before except the splattershot jr in the beginning of the game, I have trouble hitting anyone with that. Inkzooka is pretty good compensation for the range. I don't know how to ink fast with that thing and I didn't internalize the range yet, so whenever I use it I succumb like a scrub and get low scores. It's probably a really good weapon in one way or another, I just can't get used to it. I disagree that it's a beginner's roller, this thing is actually pretty advanced and hard to handle efficiently if you want to score really well, which is probably why they only released it later. Nonetheless, it probably has a place somewhere on the playing field? I have no idea how though. I really want to learn it though.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Does anyone know if you can still kill someone in one hit with this weapon if that one is hiding in the ink?
If you mean by running into them, then no, that's a two-hit splat.
If you mean with the swing, I think you can if you're close enough, otherwise still a two-shot.

1uuu

Inkling
While I still perform better with the krakon roller I'm beginning to figure out the carbon roller. Basically you sacrifice range for better mobility - burst bombs are great at inking walls and rolling to open up paths for yourself and your team goes pretty acceptably fast.

The inkzooka makes such a difference though. With the krakon I feel so powerless when a skilled charger is in a good position. With the carbon I just go around, charge the inkzooka,and then outsnipe them out of their position. It even feels unfair sometimes...

Sol64

The RNG God of /r/Splatoon
I actually tried this weapon at some point and although I love krak-on... I still like Krak-on.

The only thing it has is faster flicks and movement speed but the power trade isn't something I like too much.
If I want to Zooka i'd rather go tentatek. Splat bombs are instant whereas Suction bombs have more PHEER pressure and have more explosion range (and I can plant it at my feet if I know i'm dead or to catch ignorant inklings).

Rather go Paintbrush for the speed because I understand how the weapon works.

RtMbot

Inkling
This weapon's probably the most fun I've had with the game since release day. I think it's a wonderful addition to the game and to the Roller category, and it adds a new playstyle to the game which I feel no other weapon could properly represent. Even though I love the Dynamo, I admit that sometimes the rollers felt kind of slow, and in some cases I did kind of wish I could go more aggressive with them. I was hoping that this is what the Inkbrush would have been, but that was killer on the fingers and just not that great at fighting.

This thing is just great for anyone that wants to go fast and ambush people, and constantly apply pressure to the enemy. I think that it's perfectly fine that it has a short-ranged flick, because the Burst Bombs and Inkzooka give it some great effective range anyways.

LinkJr

Inkling Cadet
I like it because I can't do much with other rollers because I don't manage fighting at long range well with the other rollers, the Burst Bomb sub helps, I feel like it lacks some power though. Players that use it often, how many Damage Up main/subs you like to use (if you use any)?

Dream21

Full Squid
I love love love this roller!
I've been using it all day and it's just spectacular. I find it's not a weapon you go head in with it's good to ambush someone with, so ninja squid is useful, and since you're able to move fast I find it fun to run through as a distraction. I wish it had more splat range but for now it's great for me. Inkzooka is really fun to use~ I don't find myself using the burst bombs often, though. Any tips on how to use them well?

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Y'know, I decided to try this again today, and it's actually not bad.
It might not be my thing, but it's like an Inkbrush with more power, rather than a crappy Roller. Its speed is pretty good, especially for a roller, and it can actually splat opponents very quickly if you get close. It does have the problem of having next to no range on its swings, and the personal annoyances that I don't like either of its loadouts (the current one for having Burst Bombs, which I dislike, and the unreleased one for having Seeker Bomb Rush, which I can't see any use for), but on the whole it's alright. Definitely not as bad as I thought.

bluecrow

Senior Squid
unreleased one for having Seeker Bomb Rush, which I can't see any use for
you get to be a jerk in warehouse
actually both set ups for the roller seem to aimed towards helping it with its more glaring weaknesses
  1. attacking high points, which ink zooka and burst bombs are nice to have for
  2. combating in open areas, which seekers do a good job of claiming tuff and forcing opponents back/juke, good for set ups. seekers also cost a lot of ink so it really isn't that bad if it has bomb rush and really who doesn't want to see like 10 seekers at once.

I like it because I can't do much with other rollers because I don't manage fighting at long range well with the other rollers, the Burst Bomb sub helps, I feel like it lacks some power though. Players that use it often, how many Damage Up main/subs you like to use (if you use any)?
I try to just get defense personally on standard rollers, a damage up would be nice so that I know if I swing then roll it will kill, but it's not needed once you understand the range. Defense is nice to have considering how often you'll be up front, however I also prefer my rollers... heavier per say

paint brush I would actually prefer the power boosts
Rather go Paintbrush for the speed because I understand how the weapon works.
I'm no good at mashing... QQ
I do prefer paint brush though, even if the trail it leaves is way too thin

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
you get to be a jerk in warehouse
actually both set ups for the roller seem to aimed towards helping it with its more glaring weaknesses
  1. attacking high points, which ink zooka and burst bombs are nice to have for
  2. combating in open areas, which seekers do a good job of claiming tuff and forcing opponents back/juke, good for set ups. seekers also cost a lot of ink so it really isn't that bad if it has bomb rush and really who doesn't want to see like 10 seekers at once.
Ah, I see. It's just that most of the maps don't have many open areas that Seekers are good in (maybe a corridor or two, or maybe the center of Blackbelly), and you can just jump over them, so they seem a bit underwhelming. The sight of someone spamming murderboats will definitely be hilarious though, and yeah, Warehouse sounds like it'll be manageable with that. And Port Mackerel'll be so much fun with boatspam.
Do you think it'll be good in Kelp Dome though? I always have trouble there if my team can't hold the zone when I get splatted (and I do, frequently), and I can't find a good weapon to deal with retaking it yet.

bluecrow

Senior Squid
Do you think it'll be good in Kelp Dome though? I always have trouble there if my team can't hold the zone when I get splatted (and I do, frequently), and I can't find a good weapon to deal with retaking it yet.
I've only gotten to play dome a few times I really wouldn't know. dome is massive though I'm sure someone could find a use for about anything there
well so long as you don't get the derp crew I usually do on that map for some reason or rather because I notice the derp crew as that map takes more teamwork then the others

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
I don't find myself using the burst bombs often, though. Any tips on how to use them well?
Burst Bombs are a bit tricky, but the idea is they're there to weaken the opponent or shut off an escape route. It takes like, i think 3 to Splat an enemy but that's all your ink right there.
With this roller, I feel it's not a bad set up. The Carbon Roller takes 80/100 inkling HP, right? So immediately toss a burst bomb or two right after hitting to finish the job.

bluecrow

Senior Squid
Burst Bombs are a bit tricky, but the idea is they're there to weaken the opponent or shut off an escape route. It takes like, i think 3 to Splat an enemy but that's all your ink right there.
With this roller, I feel it's not a bad set up. The Carbon Roller takes 80/100 inkling HP, right? So immediately toss a burst bomb or two right after hitting to finish the job.
2 bursts if you are accurate which are like 60 each, 20 or 35 with the aoe
rolling over is 70 base
125 is the flick sweet spot
25 is the flick max range

YourAssassin

Inkling
NNID
Azzazzin
I tried this new roller out and I'm going to give a very quick, very opinionated analysis. Coverage wise, I think it is the best weapon int he whole game, with it's speed and width, it's unbeatable, but attack wise, it is not even usable, it takes two bumps to splat someone, and the range of it's splat attack is teeny. Over all, if your good at hiding from the enemy or escaping their grasp, this is the perfect turf war weapon for you.

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
I tried this new roller out and I'm going to give a very quick, very opinionated analysis. Coverage wise, I think it is the best weapon int he whole game, with it's speed and width, it's unbeatable, but attack wise, it is not even usable, it takes two bumps to splat someone, and the range of it's splat attack is teeny. Over all, if your good at hiding from the enemy or escaping their grasp, this is the perfect turf war weapon for you.
I wouldn't say that it's unusable in attacking. Sure it loses more head-on engagements than the other rollers, but it is still capable of one-hit splats
at close range and the steamroll is strong enough to kill injured opponents, plus if we consider loadout it has burst bombs to finish off, soften up
or even just fall back on when outmatched. Compare that to the inkbrush which is probably even better at coverage when properly used thanks to sprinklers
and inkstrikes coupled with it's insane speed letting it reach locations to be inked in record time, but is most certainly worse at combat due to almost always
taking around 4-5 hits to splat with limited range and its ram attack being pretty much useless except as a cherry tap.

YourAssassin

Inkling
NNID
Azzazzin
I wouldn't say that it's unusable in attacking. Sure it loses more head-on engagements than the other rollers, but it is still capable of one-hit splats
at close range and the steamroll is strong enough to kill injured opponents, plus if we consider loadout it has burst bombs to finish off, soften up
or even just fall back on when outmatched. Compare that to the inkbrush which is probably even better at coverage when properly used thanks to sprinklers
and inkstrikes coupled with it's insane speed letting it reach locations to be inked in record time, but is most certainly worse at combat due to almost always
taking around 4-5 hits to splat with limited range and its ram attack being pretty much useless except as a cherry tap.
I have to disagree, I have used the splatbrush, and seen other teammates use it, and in every single case, the brush falls short of rollers in coverage, not to say it's bad at inking, but I've never actually seen it ink as well as a roller can.

In addition, I think the ink inkbrush can be very deadly. In the right hands, and I mean the right hands, those 4-5 splashes are nothing, and can take someone down as fast as a blaster.

Finally, my decision on a weapon's usefulness has nothing to do with its loadout, it is true that a bomb rush can be the difference of life or death in a splat zone, or a land mine can hold off an enemy for just that one last second, but I try to not look at a loadout because these are just nice boosts that are fairly limited in a battle.
Also, in my judgments, I am a little biased in this argument, because the inkbrush fits my play style of charging head on into battle, whereas the carbon roller requires a bit more tactical of an approach.

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
I have to disagree, I have used the splatbrush, and seen other teammates use it, and in every single case, the brush falls short of rollers in coverage, not to say it's bad at inking, but I've never actually seen it ink as well as a roller can.

In addition, I think the ink inkbrush can be very deadly. In the right hands, and I mean the right hands, those 4-5 splashes are nothing, and can take someone down as fast as a blaster.

Finally, my decision on a weapon's usefulness has nothing to do with its loadout, it is true that a bomb rush can be the difference of life or death in a splat zone, or a land mine can hold off an enemy for just that one last second, but I try to not look at a loadout because these are just nice boosts that are fairly limited in a battle.
Also, in my judgments, I am a little biased in this argument, because the inkbrush fits my play style of charging head on into battle, whereas the carbon roller requires a bit more tactical of an approach.
Oh well, I feel stupid now. All the other rollers/brushes I try to be tactical with, but there's just something about the carbon roller that gives me this rush, and I'll just go rushing in gun--er swords a blazing.
Like literally with any other weapon(now talking in general so shooters and chargers too) I'll try to keep aware of my surroundings, but with the carbon roller in my hand I just don't give a squid. You want to get in my way? Swish and Flick, BEGONE!
Gotta make momma proud.

Mama, just killed a man,
Put a roller against his head,
Swish and Flicked, now he's dead.
Mama, life had just begun,
But now I've gone and thrown it all away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom