carbon roller

chubbypickle

Inkling Cadet
my son asked me a question and since i don't use the weapon i don't know the answer so i'm asking here :) why does the carbon roller sometimes just roll over and kill someone and sometimes it don't? but he says most of the time it doesn't

yokokazuo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
NagoyaKazuo
my son asked me a question and since i don't use the weapon i don't know the answer so i'm asking here :) why does the carbon roller sometimes just roll over and kill someone and sometimes it don't? but he says most of the time it doesn't
The carbon roller is made to be faster than regular rollers, but due to its added speed, it has less power so just rolling into someone with it won't kill them unless they are already damaged a bit.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
I think it caps damage at 99% or so, like the Bamboozler's charged shot. The reason it will roll over someone sometimes is if they've already taken damage, as yokokazuo said. A team mate might have already hit them, or they might have been dinged by a burst bomb, or blaster area, or the tail of an inkstrike, etc. Or they might have been standing in enemy ink long enough to take enough damage that the dent from the carbon roller is enough to do them in!

Nousha

Full Squid
NNID
NoushaKhanom
@chubbypickle The thing about the Carbon roller is that it kills super quick if you fling it up close, but to compensate for this, Nintendo made the damage done when rolling it much less. Because of this it's impossible to kill an opponent while rolling it unless they've taken damage already as others have said.

chubbypickle

Inkling Cadet
before the burst bomb nerf i use to run 1 main and 3 subs of damage up but now i'm thinking there isn't as much point in having so much damage up and focus more on other areas any thoughts?

Award

before the burst bomb nerf i use to run 1 main and 3 subs of damage up but now i'm thinking there isn't as much point in having so much damage up and focus more on other areas any thoughts?
Damage up is kind of debatable for any roller, but especially with carbon. Its main attack is the fastest ttk in the game (possibly outclassed by a fully charged hydra now, but that doesn't include travel time for the shot.) it does increase your peripheral flick damage, so if you're not prone to hit in the ohko zone it might still be benefiting you.

Personally I haven't run dmg up on ANY burst bomb weapon post nerf. They kill in 2-3 hits now no matter what...seems like a waste. If you're a burst bomb main, ink recovery is probably the most important thing to run (or you could, you know, not be a burst bomb main :P ) You can stack ink saver sub I suppose, I haven't played with that. But 3-4 burst bombs of their new intensity would be obnoxious :)

Charging/retaining the zooka is probably a little more important now so you might adjust there. And swim speed is king for any roller. Or def up if you want to be That One Roller....

ultra777

Full Squid
NNID
crazydragon1000
I used to run 1 bomb range up with 2 main and 6 subs of damage because that would allow you to splat with one direct hit (75) and one indirect hit (25). But they buffed the indirect hit so that it does 25 without damage up. I only use 1 damage and 4 subs of damage up now with the bomb range up. The reason I use bomb range up is that you can snipe the Chargers pretty easily with just 2 Bombs and some bomb range up. If your not into using the Burst Bombs as a ranged option then running damage up is still a good idea. This is because of burst canceling, throwing your bomb and then flicking. With 1 main and 4 subs of damage up you could get a direct hit and then hit them with the faraway flick and still splat.

Award

I used to run 1 bomb range up with 2 main and 6 subs of damage because that would allow you to splat with one direct hit (75) and one indirect hit (25). But they buffed the indirect hit so that it does 25 without damage up. I only use 1 damage and 4 subs of damage up now with the bomb range up. The reason I use bomb range up is that you can snipe the Chargers pretty easily with just 2 Bombs and some bomb range up. If your not into using the Burst Bombs as a ranged option then running damage up is still a good idea. This is because of burst canceling, throwing your bomb and then flicking. With 1 main and 4 subs of damage up you could get a direct hit and then hit them with the faraway flick and still splat.
Why do I still feel like focusing on damage up to boost the far flick damage and even doing burst cancelling on the weapon with the FASTEST ttk in the game with ohko seems like such a waste when you could instead make yourself a wild speeding blur of instadeath? :P

I haven't played carbon so much lately, opting for brushes due to their more mobile playstyle, but facing off against carbons, I find they're still one of the toughest foes to tackle, and while the bomb spammers USED to be annoying, it's the adept ohko carbons that present the biggest nightmare. You make me curious how dmg up could make it handle lag though.

ultra777

Full Squid
NNID
crazydragon1000
Why do I still feel like focusing on damage up to boost the far flick damage and even doing burst cancelling on the weapon with the FASTEST ttk in the game with ohko seems like such a waste when you could instead make yourself a wild speeding blur of instadeath? :p

I haven't played carbon so much lately, opting for brushes due to their more mobile playstyle, but facing off against carbons, I find they're still one of the toughest foes to tackle, and while the bomb spammers USED to be annoying, it's the adept ohko carbons that present the biggest nightmare. You make me curious how dmg up could make it handle lag though.
Swim speed is only useful when the area is covered in your ink and if you flank swim speed won't help you too much since you can't shoot and swim. Increasing your kill range is pretty useful since the area might be covered in their ink and you need to be right next to them to secure a splat.

chubbypickle

Inkling Cadet
today i played with no damage up for the first time and with the new huge range of radius on burst bombs i find i have much more ink to swim in now. So i played with ink recovery, swim speed, quick respawn and ink resistance bomb throw all maxed out i was lucky i got pure gear here. As a result i actually played allot better finished the day at a high for me S 90, hopeing to hit S+ for first time tomorrow.

iLink

Inkling
NNID
RemiKz
Why do I still feel like focusing on damage up to boost the far flick damage and even doing burst cancelling on the weapon with the FASTEST ttk in the game with ohko seems like such a waste when you could instead make yourself a wild speeding blur of instadeath? :p

There's a good range where you can't kill with a flick > burst cancel if you don't stack enough damage up. Sometimes you just don't have the space to maneuver towards an opponent to get that 1HKO. I've personally just been running enough damage up to get kills from a nice distance away and then pump the rest into swim speed up.

chubbypickle

Inkling Cadet
the only time i wear dam up now is on tower control to make sure the flick kills them off other than that swim speed and qucik respawm to always be in the action is how my play style is atm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom