Splatoon 2 Carbon & Tentatek + Competitive?

tomWaves

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-5375-7880-4506
Hello, Splatoon 2 Community!

I am a Veteran of our beloved game (I played the first Testfire, bought the game on day 1), and I am currently trying to get into the competitive scene, since I've always been a casual player. I have always loved the Carbon Roller and the Tentatek. How good are they in the competitive high ranks?

Sifu

Look Behind You
Switch Friend Code
SW-3816-1808-3393
It's good that you have weapons that you like, but if you want to get into competitive Splatoon, you should feel comfortable with a variety of weapons. You want to be able to pick the right weapon based on what map & mode you are about to be playing.

That said, the Tentatek is a decent weapon, although right now the regular Splattershot does better, since Inkjet was nerfed fairly hard and Splashdown was buffed. But, they are both viable, so ultimately you can use whichever you prefer. For Carbon, I'm not too experienced with the Carbon, so I can't really say how it does.

But I'd still advise getting comfortable with more than just two weapons, so you can play however you need to, and so you can have good synergy with your team.

Koopon

Roller/Blaster Main
Switch Friend Code
SW-6418-2499-7488
I main the Carbon in competitive play. You must get good at FAST lateral movement and QUICKLY closing the gap. It's all about SPEED and SURPRISE.

As with any main, you need to leverage its best feature, and Carbon has the fastest OHK in the game. So practice evading and moving forward until you're great at it. You also need to know range really well. Not just the Carbon's range, but all the weapons in the game. You should always know exactly how close you need to be and how to get there without getting splatted. When in doubt, sneak.

As a Carbon, you can beat any other roller because of its speed. Timing the gap in other weapons' rate of fire and attacking in between is the meta of Carbon. It takes a lot of practice and I'm still learning how to do it. Also, being aware of chip damage helps because a weakened enemy effectively extends the range of the Carbon's OHK. And it can roll over weakened enemies! I think that's the theory behind the ink storm special. But in practice it rarely works. You just have to be aware of weakened enemies and change your approach accordingly.

As for team play and support, I'm still learning. In theory, the Carbon is a flanking/melee weapon. I'm having some success at that. And the ink storm is great for map control and pushing an objective. You'll need to learn to adjust really well because the Carbon isn't really a very flexible weapon, and team work requires you to be flexible as possible.

As for essential abilities, I recommend swim speed up, bomb defense, ink recovery, and ink resistance.

precastzero180

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-6334-8399-0502
The Tentatek is one of the stronger weapons in the game. The main weapon is the most well-rounded and arguably the best. Its kit is very solid too, although not as good as the vanilla Splattershot kit (by far the best kit in the game). The Carbon is ok. Not the best, but not the worst either. Being of the light weight class, your inkling will have fast mobility. The weapon has a very quick splat time, provided you can aim with the vertical flick and hit opponents dead center with the horizontal one, but poor range, minimal inking capabilities, and can't OHKO opponents by rolling them over. Its kit is also okay. Again not the best, but not bad either. Most people prefer the Splat Roller and Dynamo. But you can do well with almost any weapon in the game. Some are just easer to use than other. If you like prefer the Carbon, then use it. Better use the weapon you like rather than the one that is objectively the best. There's nothing stopping you from doing well with it.

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
Carbon is imo, the best roller in the game.
Rollers are all about getting close and leave opponents with no time to react so the carbons speed is perfect for that.
The auto bomb is really good too as rollers are more of a trickster play style too.
use them for scouting as they detect enemy's in ink, and in a more aggresive way.
Use them to keep enemy's busy making them it easier to approach.
Ink storm can be used to turn the tide or take over a chokepoint that are heavely guarded.

tentatek is considered one of the best due its sheer versatility so yeah...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom