• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Changing from Female to male

ReeSquidGig

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
Her / she
NNID
Ree
Switch Friend Code
SW-8348-2484-7793
Why do some people be a female to a male? and why do some people have male names, and are female? and they have female names, and are male? and sometimes people with Asian names are black... I don't know if they are black or not? weird...:confused:( on splatoon )

Last edited:

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
Why do some people be a female to a male? and why do some people have male names, and are female? and they have female names, and are male? and sometimes people with Asian names are black... I don't know if they are black or not? weird...:confused:( on splatoon )
Mostly because they like the way the inkling looks if female, male etc. Eye candy you could say. While most players prefer an avatar that looks the closest to them, like me, others just prefer having something nice or cute to look at on screen.

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
In my case, I switched from male to female because the clothes that I've got good gear on are too feminine for the male for my taste. But it can have dozens of reasons. Some people just like the male design more. Others don't actually represent themselves with their Inklings and create their own character instead with their avatar. For some the different victory poses with certain weapons are a factor (For example I despise the shooter victory animation of the female Inkling). Others use the female simply because she's considered the default design. Some have a problem with hats covering the male's tentacles while the female's are never covered.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
I prefer avatars with a likeness to me but went with a female inkling for my third account because...why not? After two accounts with a male inkling it makes it different :) Also the female inklings do have so much more interesting designs with the flowing tentacle hair and have much more personality than the "sports boy" male inklings.

Besides, be honest, do you EVER get tired of hearing "Woomy!"?

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
The only time I insist on using the girl over the boy is when I'm using the .52 Gal, as the gear setup I have for it looks ugly on the boy in mine eyes. With just about everything else, it doesn't matter. Which isn't to say that I don't prefer using the boy most of the time, though.

Princess Bubbie

Tiny lil' monster
NNID
Princess.Bubbie
I change my gender based on my gear. Some gear just lookers cooler on certain genders.
I'm really happy you can change gender and skin tone on the fly. <3 It's such a nice feature.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Noticed that too. I only have guesses. You'd probably be better off asking the players with the Japanese accounts.

Gender-wise, I switch back and forth every few sessions (such a neat feature!). I do the same with the numerous Miis I create and swap out.

ReeSquidGig

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
Her / she
NNID
Ree
Switch Friend Code
SW-8348-2484-7793
Also, I have NO idea what their names are, I don't even understand the symbols... which confuses me.

Shuggi

Senior Squid
NNID
Splatshuggi
I prefer avatars with a likeness to me but went with a female inkling for my third account because...why not? After two accounts with a male inkling it makes it different :) Also the female inklings do have so much more interesting designs with the flowing tentacle hair and have much more personality than the "sports boy" male inklings.

Besides, be honest, do you EVER get tired of hearing "Woomy!"?
Nope, never.

Xanis

Inkling
NNID
miiman57
To be honest I just like the way the female character looks better. Thats all I have to say on the matter. My name is very ambiguous anyways lmao.

Award

Also, I have NO idea what their names are, I don't even understand the symbols... which confuses me.
I really wish there was a loose translator or such built into the game. I hate that I have no idea what half the players names are. I'm always so happy when Japanese players use Phonetic spellings of their names. Western games tend not to support kana so gamers there that play a lot of western games are just used to writing their name in Phonetic characters for games and do so in Splatoon. Always a plus so we know who they are! Then there's the Western players that insist on writing their names in kana....grrrr...

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I suppose if you're that interested you can consult a kana syllabary and see what the characters mean when put together, then run the result through Google Translate for a rough translation. If you ask me, though, I imagine their names are probably similar to the average NA NNID name (read: something that vaguely sounds badass), just Kana-ified.

Color me surprised that western players also use kana to spell their names. I didn't think that was even possible, although if they can get buttons and item symbols in their names for Mario Kart I guess nothing's impossible... in which case I'd double down and spell my name in Linear B.

yokokazuo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
NagoyaKazuo
I suppose if you're that interested you can consult a kana syllabary and see what the characters mean when put together, then run the result through Google Translate for a rough translation. If you ask me, though, I imagine their names are probably similar to the average NA NNID name (read: something that vaguely sounds badass), just Kana-ified.

Color me surprised that western players also use kana to spell their names. I didn't think that was even possible, although if they can get buttons and item symbols in their names for Mario Kart I guess nothing's impossible... in which case I'd double down and spell my name in Linear B.
I assume that they either copied a Mii from someone that did it for them or it's possible they have a Japanese 3DS and transferred over a Mii with the name. Before I got my Japanese Wii U, I copied my Mii from my Japanese 3DS so I have my name in English and Japanese on my NA account too.
Then there are people who have blank names or ones with kanji which isn't normally possible to do when you make your Mii, even in Japanese. I think I heard it is possible with some QR codes so I assume they copied a Mii from one or something.

Anyways, on topic. Some people like to choose the other gender for the looks (mainly female).
And there are several people online that may go by a different name, perhaps a character from a game or show. Also there are people of other ethnicities who live in Japan. It's possible they are perhaps half Japanese or just were born in Japan and their parents may be from a different country. And some Japanese people just have darker skin tones than others.

Award

Yeah, I've considered trying to translate it, but having zero experience with translating the symbols it would be a pretty slow ordeal only to arrive at something that, like you said, will probably still make zero sense to me. :) I've noticed that most Japanese players either have names made of two characters or 20 and never anything between :P Then add in the fact that 1 character can be 3....whoa...

I assume that they either copied a Mii from someone that did it for them or it's possible they have a Japanese 3DS and transferred over a Mii with the name. Before I got my Japanese Wii U, I copied my Mii from my Japanese 3DS so I have my name in English and Japanese on my NA account too.
Then there are people who have blank names or ones with kanji which isn't normally possible to do when you make your Mii, even in Japanese. I think I heard it is possible with some QR codes so I assume they copied a Mii from one or something.

Anyways, on topic. Some people like to choose the other gender for the looks (mainly female).
And there are several people online that may go by a different name, perhaps a character from a game or show. Also there are people of other ethnicities who live in Japan. It's possible they are perhaps half Japanese or just were born in Japan and their parents may be from a different country. And some Japanese people just have darker skin tones than others.
I've always assumed most of the Japanese players playing as the darkest skin tones were basically just roleplaying a character they think is cool, just the same as role playing an opposite gender character :) .

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
I've always had a female Inkling in my main account, for which reason I figured I'd try using the male in my alt. It always makes it quite exciting when I use up/down emotes and hear something I'm not used to. It reminds me of something Wii Fit says to you occasionally - it suggests that, if you're feeling demotivated, you should try switching your trainer's gender (between the two variants seen in Smash 4). It definitely adds a nice bit of variety to play with a different Inkling.

Fisherman

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Fisherman765
Switch Friend Code
SW-4453-3080-2542
I personally use the female inkling instead of the male (even though I'm male) because I don't like the males' hair.

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
I use a female squid with a male name. I can't tell, but I think the female squid's cooler, more psycho than the male one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom