Charger Gear Advice

DiasporeSpark

Inkling
NNID
TKDGamer
So I've started working with the Splatterscope, and I feel like it's been going well. I'm having a really hard time with gear, though. I like the Pilot Goggles, especially that Bomb Range Up, but that's really all. I'd like to have Damage Up, and because I get flanked quite a bit in random battles, I'm wondering what other abilities would be good. Thanks!

Magix

Inkster Jr.
Other than damage up, you'll also like having more damage up and even more damage up. When you have that, you should try to get a lot more of ... OK, OK, you don't actually need three mains and nine subs of damage up. For the Splatterscope(regular or Kelp), I tend to use one main and six subs of damage up. That is a good place to start. Beyond that, it's a matter of preference, but here are some abilities worth considering and why:

Damage Up. Yes, more of it! I feel like the one main and six subs I already mentioned does a fine job already, so I don't usually go for more, but having another main or three subs can make a difference with slightly faster OHKO shots as well as counter people running around with a bit of Defence Up.

Cold-blooded. Because nobody likes the government spying on them. Really, being tracked makes it a lot easier for the enemies to keep you from doing your job.

Ink Recovery Up. Chargers use up ink quickly, especially if you want to use your sub weapon. I like to have one main or three subs of IRU to smooth help with this.

Ink Resistance. This just makes a lot of situations more bearable for any weapon that doesn't have burst bombs.

Tenacity. Unless a game is going really poorly, chargers tend to stay alive for longer while teammates die, which makes this ability give you a lot of special charge.

Bomb Range Up. You already know this is nice. I wouldn't stack a lot of it, but one main ability is nice to have, because it's exactly what's required to make the difference in a lot of situations. I think the stages were even built with this in mind.

Ink Saver (Main). Helps with the same sort of issue as IRU, but with less versatility. I wouldn't recommend this over IRU, I'm just saying it isn't bad.

Swim Speed Up. As a charger, you won't be moving as much as most other weapons, so this isn't something I would highly recommend either, but SSU is also never bad to have. If you personally prefer to have extra speed while moving between your positions on the map, go for it.

As for your issue with getting flanked, there are three things I can suggest.

1. Stop the flankers by hitting the shots before they get to you.

2. Practice at glancing at the map, so you won't be surprised by flankers.

3. If you know someone is about to reach your spot and you won't have the advantage, don't be ashamed of getting out of there, either by retreating or even super jumping to spawn. It is so fun to make people waste Krakens like that.

DiasporeSpark

Inkling
NNID
TKDGamer
Okay, thanks a lot! I think I'll definitely change up my gear after learning this.

Also, would you say the Splatterscope is as good, worse, or better than the standard Splat Charger? I find them both fairly good during different modes and for slightly different styles of play.

Metarai

Inkling
NNID
Metarai
I agree with Magix for most of his gear, especially damage up, cold blooded, ink resistance, swim speed and ink recovery. I dropped ink recovery and 1 damage up main when I felt I was better at preventing flanks, but whether you want to do that or not is your choice. I also would recommend ink recovery over ink saver. The rest of the slots I feel depends on what type of build you are going for, I currently run a special reliant build so I don't have to change much of my gear when switching to the forge pro.
I personally think that the splatterscope is better than the standard splat charger, but not by much. The splatterscope has longer range, easier aiming, and better peeking skills, but its usually preference in the end.

Magix

Inkster Jr.
The way I see it, when you compare scoped to non-scoped, there are the pros they have over each other:

Scoped

A little extra range.

Capable of more precision while zooming in.

A good visual way to get a feel for how much you must charge to get OHKOs. You'll get a feel of, like, when the scope has zoomed in this much, it's a OHKO. Which is very useful, especially while learning.

Non-scoped

A clear view around you at all times.

So, not only has the scoped versions more pros, but I feel like the pro of the non-scoped really doesn't make much of a difference. You will adjust around that when playing scoped anyway. I never hold a charge for a long time, so my vision really doesn't feel limited; if I've held a charge for a second, I'll probably let it fire or cancel it, so I get the full view of my surroundings for a moment, and then start charging again. It works well for me.
I have to admit that I've messed around with non-scoped a few times, just for the sake of trying it again, and it feels kinda nice that the screen is more "stable", not zooming in over and over again. But I always go back to the scoped, because it still simply does a better job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom