• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Charger Help

desTroy

Inkling
NNID
desTroy
Switch Friend Code
SW-6275-1881-1805
So I'm a charger main, and it's been pretty hit and miss. I'm having a hard time with it. Besides just aiming better, does anybody have advice for chargers?

the

Inkling Commander
I'm not a charger main, but I've played with and against them a lot, and in my experience one thing to be mindful of is your laser sight.

You might have heard that right-hand peeking is useful (hiding your reticle/laser behind a wall before moving out from behind it and splatting an enemy with little warning) and it DEFINITELY IS

But there can also be a benefit to having them see your laser. People will generally become very cautious once they see a sniper surveying an area. Immediately they will likely a) stay away from the area or b) try to rush you down

If they choose option a, they're probably already looking for a way to flank you. So be mindful of any routes that an enemy can take to get to you, and make sure you have plenty of ink around so you can escape or (if there's enough time) fight

If they choose option b, try to hit them with the shot you had charged up. Usually people rushing try to zigzag to be harder to hit, but the way turning works while swimming in ink still makes their trajectory pretty predictable. If you miss, back up and use your sub to either defend yourself or shake them off you while you group up with a teammate, depending on which charger you're using.

Sorry if this is specific and not-very-useful advice, but that's just some habits that I've tried and observed with snipers that seem to be effective.

desTroy

Inkling
NNID
desTroy
Switch Friend Code
SW-6275-1881-1805
Thank you. I find myself getting rushed down pretty much always. Moray towers is my bane and that's a map I feel chargers would be good on. I don't use a scope and usually use Hero Charger Replica.

It just seems I can't apply pressure quite like all the good chargers do. When I retreat I usually give up good positions and if I miss then its a one way ticket back to spawn. I try to be proactive in turfing, but I'm starting to feel like that is just announcing my position.

Also having a hard time tracking people in squid form or sniping a swimming squid.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
Aim is super important. I'm a charger main and I use the Hero Charger. If my aim isn't on point then I get flanked and I'm not helping my teammates by reducing the amount of people they have to fight. If my aim IS on point then people never push and they can't flank me. You have to chose your positions according to your skill level and eventually move to spots that you can handle that will help your team even more. For me at the beginning I couldn't stay on that center snipe on Starfish Mainstage without getting flanked constantly but then as my aim improved (and I realized holding your charge is actually super helpful) I could snipe them before they got to me. When people do get close to you and you realize you have no chance throw a bomb down to try and trade or run away and throw a bomb to keep them away to hopefully kill them or to help you get distance to charge up your shot. I'm assuming you're smart enough to know how to most effectively use stingray. It helps to stay on the same level as your enemies and be away from the front lines (obvious stuff but I've seen people use it quite horribly). To practice your aim, when I'm bored or to warm up sometimes I go into practice and test my aim and ability to snap (have your sights off the opponent so they don't think you're going to shoot them and then moving your sight to your target for the kill). I also practice swimming around holding my charge and popping out for shots. I practice my aim while jumping and stuff. It's been quite helpful and I'm definitely more proficient at the charger (and I never played splatoon 1). The next thing a lot of people try to emphasize is "right-peeking" but I don't think it's all that important to have on your mind all the time unless fighting another charger. As for gear I usually experiment with sub saver (probably my favorite ability tbh), ink recovery, and run/swim speed. Really you can use whatever as long as it fits how you deal with situations (I use sub saver cuz I throw bombs when people get too close and I wanna be able to throw them). Right now I'm using an ink resist pure, bomb defense pure, and a sub saver with 2 sub saver subs and a main saver sub. I might swap something for ink recovery but we'll see. Happy sniping!

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
While I'm not exactly a good Charger player, I have some experience learning how to use them. I might also be totally wrong in what I'm about to say.

Obviously frequent target practice is important. One exercise that really helped me is going on the ramp infront of the moving targets, and just keeping your reticle on them. The Jet Squelcher is good for it, since its range will let you consistently see when your aim is actually on the target. It's great for helping you keep your aim stable, and for letting you get used to your sensitivity. Stable aim means you won't get nervous aim when enemies close in on you.

Then there's your sensitivity setting. I keep seeing people say -3 motion and 0 stick are ideal. If you want to try that, then that's what most people think are best. I prefer +5 stick and +5 motion after getting used to it. You aim faster, which means people have less time to react to your shots. You're also better equipped to make those sick snaps! Ever splat someone doing a sweet 360 jump turn? Neither have I!

Snapping your shots give enemies little to no time to react to your shots. I would say a good way to practice this is simply to hit the targets as quickly as you can. There's right peeking, but it just seems kinda slow. May as well snap aim. Of course maybe I just don't know how to properly utilize it.

There's also using which Charger fits whatever mode. If you're having trouble keeping a good score in Turf, then the Firefin can help. You can fairly consistently score over 1000 points with that thing. I wonder how well you can do with a Firefin using some Special Charge Up and Tenacity. I should try that. I think the regular Charger is the best for Tower Control. You're pretty well equipped to harass the tower. In Rainmaker, I would only use the Squiffer. You have to move alot, and the Squiffer is best for staying mobile. If you want to challenge yourself, or make your enemies underestimate you, use the Goo Tuber.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
Also getting more ideas from what J'Wiz said, I don't know what sensitivity I use but it doesn't matter because it works for me I think it's around the default setting. Another thing is what controller you use and how you move your camera to best see everything and keep checking your flanks. I personally use 2 separate joycons, let the left one rest in my lap and my right one a little raised so I can move it (I play on a beanbag). I use the sticks to make huge turns unless I'm already aiming at somebody then I use motion. For the most part I use motion but I see some people using motion to do a 180 turn which doesn't make any sense to me and with their hand turned all the way over they can't aim well.

As for which charger to use, my personal preferences are the hero charger and the 4k unscoped. It all depends on the map for me cuz I couldn't care less on the mode. I mostly use the hero but on larger maps like manta maria and moray (and maybe sturgeon) it helps to have that distance. With the 4k I run 2 swim speed pures and I think special charge up or ink recovery.

dishwasher

Full Squid
I charger or sloshing machine main, and if there's one thing I've learned about charger play its that being able to evade is just as important as it is to apply pressure (also that you're a support weapon so you need to play as such). For instance, because you're not using a scoped charger, awareness is key. You may think you're fine sitting atop a perch, but that laser is a massive target on you. Try and not stay in one position too long if you find it difficult keeping track of people in the map.

I use the vanilla splat charger so the charge time isn't absurd as I find people tend to be quite good at rushing chargers now, and the upclose splats have saved my *** numerous times. So I would also suggest practicing your aim. I found tower control a great game mode to practice this, and I set out to only use the splat charger for it. Admittedly, I was horrible for the first while but you start understanding what it means to snap to targets and things become easier.

Note: if you're struggling snapping to targets or find them inconsistent, try snapping only in the vertical direction. The inconsistent aiming may be due to too many unknowns in the x-y plane, and muscle memory comes with time and practice.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
"Note: if you're struggling snapping to targets or find them inconsistent, try snapping only in the vertical direction. The inconsistent aiming may be due to too many unknowns in the x-y plane, and muscle memory comes with time and practice"

Another good way to practice snapping is to just move your pointer a little faster than normal rather than jerking your hand in one direction or another. For me my joycons often stray one way or another and I had to calibrate or set it down on a flat surface until it stopped. Another way to test this is to hod your pointer in one specific spot and be as still as possible and if it's moving left or right (or up and down but that's hasn't happened to me) then set the right one down (or controller if you use one) until it stops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom