Charger Players; What is your favorite Charger and why?

° Moteki

¤MÆL°
NNID
Shoctopus
I main the Regular Splatterscope.
Bomb rush is such a clutch for those pinches. I have a hard time playing other snipers for some odd reason, I just play a lot better with a scope... the focus in makes it a lot easier for me to land the kills.

Unicyclist

Inkling
NNID
Unicyclist18
Personally, I've taken a liking to the Kelp Splat Charger lately. The Sprinkler sub is just too good to pass up and the Killer Wail can really add to that kill count, not to mention it's a great option when someone is harassing you in a deep hallway or corner. It also adds a lot of commotion to larger fights in an area.

I tried the E-Liters for awhile, but they're not as good at spreading ink and I find that the added range isn't always that helpful unless I'm playing against another, competitive charger.

I learned the charger class using the Squiffers, and the fast charge time was nice, but the range was too much of a compromise.
The Kelp is a happy medium of all of them and I like its ability to spread ink effectively AND hold down an area. On some of the thinner stages, it's still got enough range to lock down the map from that point forward.

lostleader

Senior Squid
NNID
lostleader
Personally, I've taken a liking to the Kelp Splat Charger lately...... and I like its ability to spread ink effectively AND hold down an area. On some of the thinner stages, it's still got enough range to lock down the map from that point forward.
I´ve been using the Kelp Charger a lot (no scope): the versatility of the sprinklers allows ....
BTW, I use gear which favors Ink Recovery, Main Weapon Ink Efficiency and Ink Resistance UP as main perks, with more ink recoveries and some damage Ups as subs.
My people have come.

sammich

Inkling Cadet
I don't know if I'd say I'm a charger player, because out of all of them I use mostly the New Squiffer, but yeah, the New Squiffer is my favorite.
The short charge time gives you quicker one-shot splats, even if the Squiffer does have range issues.

Also, I'm surprised people seem to like the Classic over the New Squiffer? I can understand the special, but I think the subweapon makes up for that.
Most people tend to get that chargers are bad at frontal attacks so you can lay down a mine and bait them over it.
That or revenge splats if they get you first.
if you play the classic squiffer carefully it is really good even against decent players (using point sensor a bit aggressively as a method of travel/defense and the bubbler as an escape rather than aggressive push).

the new squiffer has a lot of ways to kill but in B and above, inkzooka feels like "why dont i just play a regular sniper" and the mines become more pressure than actually KOing (and if it's pressure, the point sensor's radar already does the trick while alerting teammates to the enemy as well)

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
I'm fairly new to chargers, I've just got comfortable using most guns actually as I spent the first few weeks as solely using the Krak-On roller. It wasn't until I got my amiibo and beat story mode with a gun and a charger that I started branching out to other weapons. So far I am loving the Kelp splatterscope I like having the scope to help with aim and the sprinkler is key in keeping enemies away from getting too close.

I've tried E-liters but I am not very good with them, I feel like your aim has to be on point.

Overall I am so-so using the chargers but hoping to get better at using them so I'm just dead weight on a team.

Ok update went back to Custom E-liter and now I love it. Scope was too vision impairing and it has the highest range. Once I lowered camera sensitivity overall I started to get exponentially better at aiming, like night and day lol.

Swiffy22

Inkling
NNID
Swiffy
I've put quite a few hours into Splatoon, mostly dedicated to chargers. And I've got quite a bit to say about each. Though it seems a bit backwards, I play a pretty offensive charger. I like to get right out of range of my opponents, pick them off, and keep pushing until they're pinned to their spawn. Well, that's the ideal situation, anyway.

Given this description, you'd probably think I'd favor the Squiffers. But they're my least favorite, mostly due to range. If they're going to be outranged by Splattershot Pros and Jet Squelchers, they could've lessened the charge time by about 12 frames. The Classic Squiffer has great synergy with it's point sensor and bubbler, but with such limited range, I don't see why you wouldn't use an automatic if you want to get up that close.

The E Liter 3k was the first weapon I really put a lot of time into learning, and probably the weapon I've spent the most time with overall. Let me just say, I LOVE this weapon, or perhaps the idea of it. After I realized you could stack damage to cut down on charge-to-kill time, I was all over this weapon. Those few times where I have pinned an enemy team to their base, I was using this weapon on usually Port Mackerel or Walleye Warehouse. The range is ridiculous, and even if you can't get a shot on the enemy, you can implement some scare tactics and pin them to a corner at the sight of your aiming laser.

While I think the Custom is the better of the two in a cooperative team setting, I've grown quite attached to the standard E Liter. Burst bombs are a great utility for this weapon. You can quickly ink walls to climb to sniping areas, quickly make a nest in enemy ink, take out a nearby foe, or run away from them if they get too close. I've had quite a bit of success in puddle jumping away from bad situations while actively making the puddles as I go with these. Also, the Echolocator is such an obvious plus, and one that helps your teammates immediately.

The Custom handles the short range enemies even better with the Kraken, but that requires having the special charged, which you won't always have. In a setting with random teammates, I'd rather have the burst bombs. Definitely consider special charge up if you use the Custom, for your own safety. The real advantage of the Custom are the Beakons. Being able to swap quickly between two vantage points and helping your teammates quickly get to a safe location deeper in the field is a great thing.

My issue with the either E Liter is that the ink consumption is absolutely disgusting. Even with an Ink Saver main and a sub, you can still barely manage 4 shots on a full tank. You will be spending so much time recovering ink, that even though you have the option to make it an offensive weapon with Damage Ups, you'll end up running out of ink at crucial moments very, very often. As much as I love it, it's a defensive weapon, needs a lot of Ink Saver support, and it's not suitable to my playstyle. This is why I've recently revisited the Kelp Splatterscope.

I've seen someone say once before that the Squiffer and E Liter both reach a little too far into extremes, and it's a notion I can somewhat agree with. They're both situational, depending on team composition or map, and receive severe nerfs in exchange for their advantages. The standard chargers are a good balance between the two. I don't feel myself hurting for range or running out of ink, unlike the other two. The Kelp Splatterscope has become my recent weapon of choice for this reason.

I miss the range of the E Liter sometimes, but the Splatterscope covers 85% of everything I needed to do with the E Liter (except for Arowana Mall, where it's more like 60%). I really don't care for the scope, in fact, I think I was more accurate with the E Liter, but I like to have that extra nth of distance compared to the standard. I've seen some concerns about peripheral vision with the scope. If you're going to play offensively, as I do, you should only take aim once you have a target, and know where they will be. If you're playing defensively, you should be watching your map at every opportunity.

I choose the Kelp brand because I like the sprinkler for ranked. I don't have much of a preference for Turf War. The sprinkler is good for putting in tricky locations to help hold the hill an extra second or two when it gets overrun. Obviously it's good as a distraction, and a one-hit body guard as well, but it's also a great way to charge your special when you get splatted. Just throw it on some uninked turf while you're swimming where you want to go, it helps a ton. And on that note, the Killer Wail is a nice option to combat E Liters when I'm outranged. If I see one on the opposite team, I'll hang on to my Special until they find a perch, then fire it at them. If I miss, I chase them down and snuff them out before they become too much of a problem for my team. I try to repeat this until the feel forced to play offensively, where they often fail.

I've taken the time to record and analyze frame data for the charge-to-kill time for the 3 charger types and how damage up improves them. One Damage Up main and 4 subs puts my Splatterscope at the same charge-to-kill time as the Squiffer. So that's what I'm currently using in ranked. I'm working on a video now to compile all of this frame data, and hope to be able to share it with you all in the coming week.

So which is my favorite? Kelp Splatterscope at the time of typing all of this. But I think an offensive Splatterscope and a defensive E Liter make a fantastic team.

LancerStaff

Inkling Cadet
Prefer the New Squiffer in unranked, haven't found my "main" for ranked but the Classic Squiffer sounds great. Would love to play with the E-liter but I want some decent equipment with some attack on it before I do, and the upcoming update makes me hesitant to fiddle with my equipment at all.

Ber

Full Squid
NNID
Bernee
Classic Squiffer, but I use it more like a shooter than like a charger and that has worked pretty well for me
I use it instead of a shooter because I value accuracy a lot, love it's sub and special and how they work with the weapon and simply preffer hitting the trigger once per shot over holding it down

sammich

Inkling Cadet
Classic Squiffer, but I use it more like a shooter than like a charger and that has worked pretty well for me
I use it instead of a shooter because I value accuracy a lot, love it's sub and special and how they work with the weapon and simply preffer hitting the trigger once per shot over holding it down
am I misunderstanding or are you saying you prefer uncharged squiffer shots?

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
They can be surprisingly effective at covering ground. Heck, even with only charged shots squiffer is by far the best charger for covering
large amounts of ground quickly.

lostleader

Senior Squid
NNID
lostleader
They can be surprisingly effective at covering ground. Heck, even with only charged shots squiffer is by far the best charger for covering
large amounts of ground quickly.
ya squiffers are some of the best for rushing down and traveling quickly (faster than any gun / as fast as inkbrush ) I don't use them because none of them have subs I like, but they certainly are a great weapon that get under looked. People always be surprised when you release a bunch of uncharged shots with it too, heh.

Ber

Full Squid
NNID
Bernee
I meant I don't like full auto guns as much, now that I read what I wrote I see it was easy to missunderstand
however I do use uncharged shots often, for covering ground, traversing the map and even splatting when the enemies get too close specially if I have my bubbler ready (3 uncharged shots get you a splat and it's faster and less risky than charging up close) but I obviously try to avoid those situations

Last edited:

sammich

Inkling Cadet
who out there uses chargers offensively and what do you use?

i'm very aggressive with my classic squiffer but when i'm having a losing streak (usually if i get continuously paired against squelchers) i really feel the pain of the shorter range. for those times, i'd really like to have an alternate charger weapon i can switch to to recover my nerves. which of the non-squiffer chargers are best suited to aggressive play, i wonder?

lostleader

Senior Squid
NNID
lostleader
who out there uses chargers offensively and what do you use?

i'm very aggressive with my classic squiffer but when i'm having a losing streak (usually if i get continuously paired against squelchers) i really feel the pain of the shorter range. for those times, i'd really like to have an alternate charger weapon i can switch to to recover my nerves. which of the non-squiffer chargers are best suited to aggressive play, i wonder?
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Charger is literally best rushdown, unlike Inkbrush (while both run about the same speed; Chargers can defend themselves, hold point, and annoy the enemy!) By no means is it a traditional rushdown that chargers lead, but believe me they effectively make your team mobile the most. As a charger you are given the task to give your whole team the ability to go where they want to go. Each time you die you better cover a new path or improve a new one, otherwise you are doing it wrong!

This is why I like to use the kelp splatshot (no scope, 360 MLG!!!11!!1!) Not only does it have a sprinkler, the best sub in game (utility wise), great range for getaways (which you will be doing), but also has the wonderful sniping tool that is the killer wail! Example (by me)

And while you may want to be aggressive, I strongly suggest you go for defensive kills. In turf war, it's simply better to just splat the areas. In rank, you can't really go the enemy base or stay in one spot either, so it's important to make a round of where to go and how to stop the enemies funky flow. Simply put being aggressive doesn't have to mean getting kills, just putting pressure on, and yes charger is one of the best keeping pressure up, especially at places like port mackerel, bluefin depot, and the mall area.

Long strat short; kill off paths, not enemies to be an aggro charger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom