• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Charger Users: What criteria determines which charger you bring?

yokokazuo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
NagoyaKazuo
My main weapons are the kelp Splatterscope and both 3K scopes. Usually it depends on the mode, but the maps also help me choose which one to go with. Moray Towers is almost always 3K for me due to the long range. Close quarters maps are more of a Splatterscope for me though.
For Splat Zones I'll usually use the Kelp Splatterscope, but also the regular 3K Scope (or possibly custom at times). In Tower Control it is either the custom 3K or Kelp (kraken for helping defend the tower or sprinkler and I sometimes use the killer wail to protect it too).
Rainmaker is usually the regular 3K scope so that echolocator can help locate the carrier and custom for breaking the shield.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
I'd like to see this image of the top ranked chargers.
Oh I didn't mean an image meaning a jpeg. I meant the running popular impression is that most of the charger users in the top ranks are using scopes, whether it's accurate or not.

Though today I used scope a little more and didn't have some of the usual issues I often have with it. Seems to run in moods...today it seemed natural. Though I did finally pull off a few successful jump shots - and it was with the unscoped!

Award

My main weapons are the kelp Splatterscope and both 3K scopes. Usually it depends on the mode, but the maps also help me choose which one to go with. Moray Towers is almost always 3K for me due to the long range. Close quarters maps are more of a Splatterscope for me though.
For Splat Zones I'll usually use the Kelp Splatterscope, but also the regular 3K Scope (or possibly custom at times). In Tower Control it is either the custom 3K or Kelp (kraken for helping defend the tower or sprinkler and I sometimes use the killer wail to protect it too).
Rainmaker is usually the regular 3K scope so that echolocator can help locate the carrier and custom for breaking the shield.
Despite doing REALLY badly with Custom yesterday, I found myself liking it more today. But it takes a lot of mental effort to remember I have nothing to throw at close range and have no fallback if the enemy gets too close. That's a big problem when the base is flanked....but jumping between beacons gets addictive (when the enemy isn't taking them out.) I know this is crazy since alt versions of weapons don't modify base stats. But I SWEAR the custom charges faster...

That seems like a good makeup of when to use the splatter vs the eliter! Always a hard choice. Which do you prefer for Underpass and Flounder Heights? (any mode)?

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
@Award, don't think I'm not planning on replying lol. I've just been really busy and haven't been in the mood for writing up a long reply. I'll get to it this weekend most likely though.

yokokazuo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
NagoyaKazuo
Despite doing REALLY badly with Custom yesterday, I found myself liking it more today. But it takes a lot of mental effort to remember I have nothing to throw at close range and have no fallback if the enemy gets too close. That's a big problem when the base is flanked....but jumping between beacons gets addictive (when the enemy isn't taking them out.) I know this is crazy since alt versions of weapons don't modify base stats. But I SWEAR the custom charges faster...

That seems like a good makeup of when to use the splatter vs the eliter! Always a hard choice. Which do you prefer for Underpass and Flounder Heights? (any mode)?
I only recently started using the custom 3K, but I've come to like it quite a bit. Not being able to use burst bombs is a bit of a disadvantage, but I've had some matches where I've done well even up close.

For a Urchin Underpass I've usually preferred the custom 3K since I would usually snipe from the raised platforms sides and also could place beakons there for me and my teammates.

Not really sure about Flounder Heights, I switch between the Splatterscope and 3K fairly often.

Award

@Award, don't think I'm not planning on replying lol. I've just been really busy and haven't been in the mood for writing up a long reply. I'll get to it this weekend most likely though.
LOL, thanks! I figured you might get to it eventually, but not if you're as bad as me and forget about threads I was following in forums for months at a time. I'm terrible with that! :p

I only recently started using the custom 3K, but I've come to like it quite a bit. Not being able to use burst bombs is a bit of a disadvantage, but I've had some matches where I've done well even up close.

For a Urchin Underpass I've usually preferred the custom 3K since I would usually snipe from the raised platforms sides and also could place beakons there for me and my teammates.

Not really sure about Flounder Heights, I switch between the Splatterscope and 3K fairly often.
Yeah, I'd really learned to rely on burst bombs, and play a little bit of an aggressive sniper with it. Day 1 with custom was disastrous for me. I was doing a lot better yesterday with it. I know it shouldn't but do you think the Custom charges at all faster than the vanilla? I seem to be more likely to get a double quick charge shot up close with it more like a splatterscope than I do with the vanilla. I don't know why. It makes sense to offset the lack of bombs. But they don't normally change stats like that for alts.

The thing with beacons for me, is with custom 3k the best use seems to be to switch between sniping points. But of course if your teammates decide to jump to them and use them up, your escape is cut off, and you end up swimming around half the match placing them again, meaning you're not covering your territories. (Also the enemy raiding our base taking them out, but that's expected... Still harms utility though.) Near me, I'm still a jump point myself of course. Is there any better way to manage them? It's definitely a different playstyle than with bomb. Kind of fun though since it's less campy and more mobile if less aggressive. The team's probably wondering why the sniper keeps swimming around the base though :p I find that even though I can be less aggressive than with bombs, I'm a little MORE willing to risk going to the ground floor to get that one or two shot attempt that would otherwise leave me vulnerable since I can just jump back to the perch. Custom opens up some possibilities I didn't expect. It seemed useless on paper. I DO miss the echolocator though. That saved me from flank often. Kraken just doesn't make up for it since it's hard to keep charging it on most maps.

So far I seem to be siding with a scoped 3k for custom and unscoped for burst bombs. It facilitates more main gun use sniping from different places with the scope, and more aggressive, "sit while charged" use with aggressive burst bombs with unscoped.

Jury's still out on scoped v unscoped splatterscope/charger. Doing ok with both.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander

I don't know why, but I can't use the reg. E-Liter for crap. I do well with the Splat Charger, but get my *** kicked every time I pick up the Gas Pump of Glory. It's not very forgiving for those of use with mediocre sniping aim, and I think that's the problem. I'm not exactly a "three strikes, you're out" kind of sniper.

I want to try my hand at Squiffering. I've been trying to get proficient with SCs before moving on to those, and I think the time is about right. I do best with my charger when I pop up out of nowhere and surprise people, so the Squff or Bambi may be just what I need. Don't know how I feel about having to double tap though.

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
From what I've observed, the scopes are much more prevalent in tournaments. A big reason for this is likely voice chat. The extra range is an objective advantage, and team coordination makes it so snipers will rarely be ambushed.

Award

I don't know why, but I can't use the reg. E-Liter for crap. I do well with the Splat Charger, but get my *** kicked every time I pick up the Gas Pump of Glory. It's not very forgiving for those of use with mediocre sniping aim, and I think that's the problem. I'm not exactly a "three strikes, you're out" kind of sniper.
Gas Pump of Glory, lol! You're like a quote generator! :)

Yeah, I'm not sure that not being a "three strikes, you're not" kind of sniper is a kind of sniper :p Not that I'm quite there yet myself.... ;)

I want to try my hand at Squiffering. I've been trying to get proficient with SCs before moving on to those, and I think the time is about right. I do best with my charger when I pop up out of nowhere and surprise people, so the Squff or Bambi may be just what I need. Don't know how I feel about having to double tap though.
That's funny how it's the opposite of my progression. I couldn't get the hang of chargers until I used Squiffer for a while and realized I finally didn't suck at it, then migrated to the bigger chargers. I use splat charger like a slower Squiffer. It's not really a sniper rifle to me, it's a Squiffer Pro: the longer range, slower fire version with a different sub and special! I guess once you've used an eliter for a while, the splat chargers feel short range fast charging weapons in comparison. Squiffer feels like a ttk. I love point sensors though.

Bambi's fun to use. It's fast, and the double tap isn't really a problem, it's kind of fun actually, but you do need to hold that aim longer than the others. Disruptors on the MkII make it a little easier to do, though I like the splash wall playstyle with it, too.

When I want to go assault, but don't want carbon or luna, or splat charger (which is more defensive for me), I go squiffer, bambi, or the Nozzlenoses which, to me, are kind of charger-esque. For me H3 is kind of like a cross between a squiffer and a sploosh. It's kind of a Squifaloosh. Or a Splooffer? Squiff-o-matic?

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
That's funny how it's the opposite of my progression. I couldn't get the hang of chargers until I used Squiffer for a while and realized I finally didn't suck at it, then migrated to the bigger chargers. I use splat charger like a slower Squiffer. It's not really a sniper rifle to me, it's a Squiffer Pro: the longer range, slower fire version with a different sub and special! I guess once you've used an eliter for a while, the splat chargers feel short range fast charging weapons in comparison. Squiffer feels like a ttk. I love point sensors though.

Bambi's fun to use. It's fast, and the double tap isn't really a problem, it's kind of fun actually, but you do need to hold that aim longer than the others. Disruptors on the MkII make it a little easier to do, though I like the splash wall playstyle with it, too.

When I want to go assault, but don't want carbon or luna, or splat charger (which is more defensive for me), I go squiffer, bambi, or the Nozzlenoses which, to me, are kind of charger-esque. For me H3 is kind of like a cross between a squiffer and a sploosh. It's kind of a Squifaloosh. Or a Splooffer? Squiff-o-matic?
I guess the takeaway is that, in order to figure out the criteria for a good charger, one must figure out what kind of sniper they are. If you're a camp sniper with good protection, scoped E-Liter all day e'erday. If you're a ambush sniper, something like the Squiffer works better. If you want more flexible play, the Splat Charger will let you camp and roam around for a few "Gotcha!" kills. If you're a beginner, the Splat Charger will let you experiment with both to find what fits best.

Subs are another factor all their own. Splat bombs are a universally useful sub. Disruptors, not so much. I suppose they're useful with some technique, but I'm a firm believer in "keep it simple, stupid."

Award

I guess the takeaway is that, in order to figure out the criteria for a good charger, one must figure out what kind of sniper they are. If you're a camp sniper with good protection, scoped E-Liter all day e'erday. If you're a ambush sniper, something like the Squiffer works better. If you want more flexible play, the Splat Charger will let you camp and roam around for a few "Gotcha!" kills. If you're a beginner, the Splat Charger will let you experiment with both to find what fits best.

Subs are another factor all their own. Splat bombs are a universally useful sub. Disruptors, not so much. I suppose they're useful with some technique, but I'm a firm believer in "keep it simple, stupid."
True, though personally the eliter (scoped or otherwise) is the only one I'd consider sniping. Everything else is really too close in range to be a genuine snipe. Splat charger/splatterscope is more of just a long rifle IMO, and the others are midrange guns that charge. That said your probably have the right thinking on what separates them. If you like all of them, it still leaves that question of when to use which!

IMO disruptors are rarely not excellent. Few weapons don't benefit from what amounts to a glue bomb to slow your enemy and make them easy to hit. Sloshers are one of the few that don't benefit from it, and of course trislosher is one of the few weapons that come with it! Disruptors on a charger are deadly. That's a big boon for bamboozler!

yokokazuo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
NagoyaKazuo
LOL, thanks! I figured you might get to it eventually, but not if you're as bad as me and forget about threads I was following in forums for months at a time. I'm terrible with that! :p

Yeah, I'd really learned to rely on burst bombs, and play a little bit of an aggressive sniper with it. Day 1 with custom was disastrous for me. I was doing a lot better yesterday with it. I know it shouldn't but do you think the Custom charges at all faster than the vanilla? I seem to be more likely to get a double quick charge shot up close with it more like a splatterscope than I do with the vanilla. I don't know why. It makes sense to offset the lack of bombs. But they don't normally change stats like that for alts.

The thing with beacons for me, is with custom 3k the best use seems to be to switch between sniping points. But of course if your teammates decide to jump to them and use them up, your escape is cut off, and you end up swimming around half the match placing them again, meaning you're not covering your territories. (Also the enemy raiding our base taking them out, but that's expected... Still harms utility though.) Near me, I'm still a jump point myself of course. Is there any better way to manage them? It's definitely a different playstyle than with bomb. Kind of fun though since it's less campy and more mobile if less aggressive. The team's probably wondering why the sniper keeps swimming around the base though :p I find that even though I can be less aggressive than with bombs, I'm a little MORE willing to risk going to the ground floor to get that one or two shot attempt that would otherwise leave me vulnerable since I can just jump back to the perch. Custom opens up some possibilities I didn't expect. It seemed useless on paper. I DO miss the echolocator though. That saved me from flank often. Kraken just doesn't make up for it since it's hard to keep charging it on most maps.

So far I seem to be siding with a scoped 3k for custom and unscoped for burst bombs. It facilitates more main gun use sniping from different places with the scope, and more aggressive, "sit while charged" use with aggressive burst bombs with unscoped.

Jury's still out on scoped v unscoped splatterscope/charger. Doing ok with both.
I can confirm that they both have the same charge time. It could just have to do with being a slightly different weapon so it feels a bit different perhaps. For some reason it feels like the scoped versions charge faster for me for both weapons even though the time is the same.
I never really thought of using beakons to jump between sniping positions, I've sometimes used them to jump away from an enemy though. (Usually when I need to act fast, I hit the one for the spawn since I always know where it is and then jump to my beakon)
I normally would place them close to where I'm sniping from or a place more useful for my teammates to jump to. Also in tower control of you are on it, they can be a decent shield since they will take some hits before breaking.

I mainly used just the kelp Splatterscope for awhile even when I got the 3K since the charge time felt like it took forever. I eventually gave it another shot and after awhile I got used to it. Plus when using a scoped weapon, they just feel like they charge faster for me. I think it has something to do with how it zooms while you charge.

Award

I can confirm that they both have the same charge time. It could just have to do with being a slightly different weapon so it feels a bit different perhaps. For some reason it feels like the scoped versions charge faster for me for both weapons even though the time is the same.
I never really thought of using beakons to jump between sniping positions, I've sometimes used them to jump away from an enemy though. (Usually when I need to act fast, I hit the one for the spawn since I always know where it is and then jump to my beakon)
I normally would place them close to where I'm sniping from or a place more useful for my teammates to jump to. Also in tower control of you are on it, they can be a decent shield since they will take some hits before breaking.

I mainly used just the kelp Splatterscope for awhile even when I got the 3K since the charge time felt like it took forever. I eventually gave it another shot and after awhile I got used to it. Plus when using a scoped weapon, they just feel like they charge faster for me. I think it has something to do with how it zooms while you charge.
It's funny, we're opposite in both aspects. I've always felt like the scopes charge slower than unscoped, yet somehow feel the Custom charges faster than normal. You feel the opposite - and in reality they're all the same :)

Same with beacons. I actually HATE when my team uses my beacons up. It's MY beacon...MINE! Why is it gone? :p The very first thing I thought of was jumping between perches....and it's amazing for that. And a quick recall if you have to press forward or fall back a bit. I'd love to prevent the team from using them so I can just set them up as personal jump points. With quick superjump it's really cool. And it drives the enemy nuts when the sniper keeps showing up on he opposite side for no reason. Doesn't work on all maps. It's only seldom useful on Moray. The 2 spots are so close you only need the one beacon for the return trip IF you go to the second main area. If you don't it's not worth wasting the tie to go over and set it up and not be watching mid. And skatepark really only has one spot in need of them, so jumping between spawn and that one is all you need. But they're great on Mahi, Underpass, Depot, etc. If your team doesn't use them up!

Playing with randoms, you can always hope your teammates ignore them though. They usually will, except when they do decide to use them when you're standing right next to them, or when there's no reason to use that beacon :rolleyes:

yokokazuo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
NagoyaKazuo
It's funny, we're opposite in both aspects. I've always felt like the scopes charge slower than unscoped, yet somehow feel the Custom charges faster than normal. You feel the opposite - and in reality they're all the same :)

Same with beacons. I actually HATE when my team uses my beacons up. It's MY beacon...MINE! Why is it gone? :p The very first thing I thought of was jumping between perches....and it's amazing for that. And a quick recall if you have to press forward or fall back a bit. I'd love to prevent the team from using them so I can just set them up as personal jump points. With quick superjump it's really cool. And it drives the enemy nuts when the sniper keeps showing up on he opposite side for no reason. Doesn't work on all maps. It's only seldom useful on Moray. The 2 spots are so close you only need the one beacon for the return trip IF you go to the second main area. If you don't it's not worth wasting the tie to go over and set it up and not be watching mid. And skatepark really only has one spot in need of them, so jumping between spawn and that one is all you need. But they're great on Mahi, Underpass, Depot, etc. If your team doesn't use them up!

Playing with randoms, you can always hope your teammates ignore them though. They usually will, except when they do decide to use them when you're standing right next to them, or when there's no reason to use that beacon :rolleyes:
Haha ya, but I guess it is kind of nice that there is quite a bit of variety in weapons people use for the most part.
I may give that a try though with the beakons and see how it works for me. I do kind of hate it when my beakons are jumped to instead of me when I'm near them though haha. Forces me to place one again which takes up a few seconds and lowers my ink tank.

Award

Haha ya, but I guess it is kind of nice that there is quite a bit of variety in weapons people use for the most part.
I may give that a try though with the beakons and see how it works for me. I do kind of hate it when my beakons are jumped to instead of me when I'm near them though haha. Forces me to place one again which takes up a few seconds and lowers my ink tank.
When your team doesn't use up your beacons on you, I love playing that way. I went back to trying the original 3k figuring I'd be able to do more with the burst bombs and found that the ink usage of burst bombs was driving me crazy since I got used to just going for 2-shot kills on closer enemies with the Custom. It's technically not as versatile as burst bombs, but I drive enemies crazy jumping all over the place. A laser of doom that keeps coming from 2-3 different places isn't as good for racking up splats as the vanilla, but it's arguably superior intimidation if your team is actually able to take advantage of the enemy's hesitation. I love CQC burst bombs, but I'm finding if the team's front line fell apart enough for me to NEED the bombs, they're probably not going to save me, and if the front line fell part so bad they're all over our base, the eliter's pretty much out of the game either way anyway. I'll be out of ink from missing shots on the approaching enemy, and usually have 2-3 of them facing me. The burst bombs let me go more aggressive though. Custom can not, should not, must not be part of the push best as I can tell.

Underpass gives me nightmares though. I just can't find a way to make eliter work well there. Eliters work best when the enemy is approaching TOWARD you, not when they're passing perpendicularly at close range. The side channels of Underpass present exactly that, and the upper center ledge provides too narrow an FOV that often has too little action. And if I place beacons in both locations, my team ends up using them at the upper ledge, or the enemy raids and eliminates the ones in the side channel. That map I just can't figure out eliter on.

Also, I've grown used to the Go Faster Stripes on the Custom. Pinstriping makes the gun look a lot more fun than the very industrial stock model :p It also gives me an excuse to wear my strawboater hat with the fast superjump speed main. Any excuse to wear the straw hat is worth getting splatted a few times. Hard to beat a carnival barker boy inkling in a Striped Navy LS shirt, Straw Boater Hat, and Plum Casuals wielding a pinstriped gas pump. It makes you feel special when another eliter is in the lobby since NOBODY else uses the Custom :p;)

I usually save my Kraken as a "get out of jail free" card, and end up not using it, but it's a fun "passive aggressive" technique when the enemy decides to flank your base at the last 10 seconds to just whip out the kraken and take them out. For some reason nobody pays attention to the sniper up close, and never expects them to become an invincible monster ;)

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
I usually save my Kraken as a "get out of jail free" card, and end up not using it, but it's a fun "passive aggressive" technique when the enemy decides to flank your base at the last 10 seconds to just whip out the kraken and take them out. For some reason nobody pays attention to the sniper up close, and never expects them to become an invincible monster ;)
It's also fun and incredibly cheap to chain Krakens on the home stretch in TC mode. There's nothing like string of 4 Starmen on the tower to clinch a win.

Award

It's also fun and incredibly cheap to chain Krakens on the home stretch in TC mode. There's nothing like string of 4 Starmen on the tower to clinch a win.
Cheap's an understatement, though that implies a pretty coordinated team to pull off!

Award

It's odd. Originally I had more interest in scopes. Then I learned to do better with unscoped. The lack of tunnel vision and greater mobility seemed to be a huge asset. And now I think I'm returning to scopes. But it does come from 2 play styles. When I started I was trying to charge up, and hold the charge to flick on an enemy. That simply does not work with scopes. I've migrated to charging-during-aim, which works fine with scopes. If you can charge while you aim, the scope doesn't have the tunnel vision issues it has when you are trying to stand there charged.

Though I have to go back and try unscoped again to see if the added mobility adds up much!

Award

And I found a big place where the scope has a huge advantage. While Kelp Dome is the opposite and grates and railings can get into your view when you zoom, Depot has the opposite issue. If someone's camping on the rear ramp on the bottom platforms, without a scope, the iron bridge gets in the way of the view, while the scope's zoom sees under it!

On the other hand, I was sucking pretty badly with Custom again yesterday, missing most shots. Weird, that hasn't happened in a while. Then again, the opposing team (TW) were all S/S+ and my team had the lv4..... The matchmaker truly hates me.

And I still can not for the life of me figure out how to make an eliter work on underpass. On the right side there's too few targets, and on the left side the targets are either too close to reliably hit or obscured by the tree. And approaching the enemy ramps is just suicide, just as defending the home ramps is.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
And I still can not for the life of me figure out how to make an eliter work on underpass. On the right side there's too few targets, and on the left side the targets are either too close to reliably hit or obscured by the tree. And approaching the enemy ramps is just suicide, just as defending the home ramps is.
Go to the left overlook. Use your range to ink A LOT. I've noticed that even just providing speed bumps for the opposing team is helpful. Once your team takes mid with your help you can stand on your bump and snipe or take up position on the ramps to support your team.

There was an eliter last night on underpass that was really mobile. Maybe that is the key.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom