Chargers or Splatlings?

NaomiTao

Inkling
My family is about to get a wii u and splatoon. Over the years playing different genres of games I've realized that i HATE close combat.
Since Chargers can snipe and i have the option to stay away with Splatlings I'm choosing on or the other. Seeing as I've only played at Best Buy I figured why not ask some experienced players. Thank you.:)

boredguy108

Semi-Pro Squid
It really depends on your play-style. Each weapon has their own pros and cons, so I can't really say one is better than the other. Personally, I recommend testing out each splatling/charger as you unlock them.

Also, make sure you go through single player eventually. You unlock a few chargers from the some of the boss fights in Octo Valley.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
The Custom Jet Squelcher might be what you're looking for. It has slightly more range than the heavy splatling, is fairly mobile, has a good option for close quarters if needed (burst bombs), and the kraken special.

Lord Lago

Inkling
NNID
Najdorf
Switch Friend Code
SW-6849-6664-1969
If you are good at it, every team would love to have a good charger and they can completely control some maps. That being said if you have shaky hands or a slow connection you can try out the splatlings. They play kinda weird, but the hydra and heavy can outrange a lot of weapons while still laying down quite a bit of turf.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
My family is about to get a wii u and splatoon. Over the years playing different genres of games I've realized that i HATE close combat.
Since Chargers can snipe and i have the option to stay away with Splatlings I'm choosing on or the other. Seeing as I've only played at Best Buy I figured why not ask some experienced players. Thank you.:)
Splatlings and Chargers are mainly support weapons. They don't usually deal well with aggressive play, though the Mini Splat is pretty much the Splattershot's slower, fatter sister. If you think you'll enjoy a more defensive play style, both are good choices, though the Splatling will get better coverage and help you charge your special faster. They do well with keeping enemies away from certain areas, and decent killing power, and have excellent coverage.

Chargers come in two forms: conventional snipers (Splat Chargers and E-Liters) and Gotcha! chargers (Squiffer & Bamboozler). The first require a steady hand, patience, good situational awareness, and decent accuracy. The second are more ambush weapons and rely on quick reflexes, the ability to "shoot from the hip," and surprise. They are two very different styles of play, and you should try both to see which you like better. The learning curve on E-Liters is pretty steep though, so prepare to spend a long time learning to use the weapon effectively.

Both weapons are not the best in terms of mobility (save for Bambi and Squiff), so don't expect to juke and dance around enemies while your weapon is drawn. If you want a fair compramize between range, power, and mobility, the Squelchers are a good choice as Tim said. The Gals (.52 & .96) are pretty effective in any mode, work well for both aggressive and defensive play, and are pretty forgiving. Of the two, I find the chargers more satisfying and intense, but the Splatlings are easier to pick up & use and a lot more forgiving to new players.

You'll unlock the first Charger long before the first decent Splatling (Heavy). Perhaps you can use that time to take chargers out for a test drive? The Squelch and Gals are also good choices and offer a little more flexibility in play style.

Shuggi

Senior Squid
NNID
Splatshuggi
It really depends on your play-style. Each weapon has their own pros and cons, so I can't really say one is better than the other. Personally, I recommend testing out each splatling/charger as you unlock them.

Also, make sure you go through single player eventually. You unlock a few chargers from the some of the boss fights in Octo Valley.
You do not unlock splatlings in single player mode. Only chargers.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Lol, jesus, calmate.
The OP doesn't have the game yet, so they wouldn't know. @Shuggi was simply clarifying. No need to immediately jump down his throat.

Koi

Inkster Jr.
éternelle douleur, the land of eternal pain
NNID
Kaidan123
You could also use a dynamo roller for ranged combat also. It can play a big defense roll in splat zones because of its bigger range than of normal rollers. Just like BlackZero said, you really do need a steady hand to play this game, even for gun type weapons and rollers! Having bad accuracy will be your biggest enemy because those 6 seconds can be huge punishment in a 3 minute game (5 minutes if ranked). If your having a hard time aiming, try playing single player. If you already finished, try playing it again. The whole point of single player is supposed to help you get better aim in game. For chargers, If you get put up with another charger, you either get splatted or you splat them. If you think you're getting better at using a charger, try a techs like "snapping". It's where you move your laser out of the opponents sight to make it look like you're not aiming at them and then quickly snap back at your target by tilting your game pad right back to your opponent. It sounds complicated in word form, but here's a charger tip video from SquidKids.
actually, just go visit their channel and others like Nintendome, Nintendolife, WhiteHawke, and more! Oh and as for splatlings... ummm... keep your distance while firing. a splatling's fire rate will certainly beat out any other gun types. good luck! Woomy!

boredguy108

Semi-Pro Squid
Lol, jesus, calmate.
The OP doesn't have the game yet, so they wouldn't know. @Shuggi was simply clarifying. No need to immediately jump down his throat.
Perhaps I jumped the gun.

Shuggi's message was so vague in tone, I must of just... assumed the worst.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone, or it I made them uncomfortable. Can we move on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom