• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Community Involvement

Magic8Ball

Inkling Cadet
Community Ambassador
NNID
M4g1c8Ball
So being new here and all, I've been wondering what the best way to get involved in the community is. Luckily I've been picked up by a competitive squad (shoutout to Inksanity they're really chill), but other than that and Squidboards I haven't seen much for me to do. What I have seen is that there are a lot of Discord servers for people to meet and such, hosted by big name Streamers and content creators. I'm excited to discover things, and I think the people here can point me in the right direction.

Beyond that, it seems like there isn't much. I'm hoping to be proven wrong. What are the things all of you guys do to help the community? Whether it be from TO's to making threads on here, what else does everyone do to help the community? Sorry if this sounds a bit ignorant, but really it's all in good curiosity.

P.S. hype for DPotG this weekend.
Catch you guys on the Flipside!

calamaro

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Sadly the traffic and activity here has been slowly declining the last year I think. I have a feeling if they drop some info on the next/reduxed splatoon on 12JAN17 it`ll perk up.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
As @calamaro said, these boards are really quiet these days. I still come on to check everyday because I have a lot of free time but there's never much interesting discussion happening. After Splatfests ended and Sheldon's Picks Vol 2, discussion dropped off.

People will definitely come back when new announcements arrive, though, so hang tight.

The best way to get into the Squid community IS discord. Various groups are still quite active, and I can pretty much always find people to squad with or do PBs with. General discussions there are active enough, you can squid talk or talk about other things.

I'm not sure about r/splatoon since I don't reddit. I guess that's pretty much it? Splatoon is still a young community. Hopefully the Switch will be the push it needs to open up to a wider audience.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
New IP, young franchise, shooter, bright & colorful, Nintendo exclusive.

We're a niche in a niche in a niche—or something like that—so the community was likely pretty small to begin with. So even if dropoffs and quiet periods are the normal ebb and flow of things, our small size makes those low tides quite fierce.

And it's not just squidboards, but pretty much r/splatoon, the Splatoon board on gamefaqs, and other forums with Splatoon traffic have gotten quiet. Though from what I can guess, squidboards and r/splatoon might still have the most traffic. Meanwhile there is also the Splatoon community on youtube, twitter, tumblr, miiverse and animo that are also breathing but likely with the same degree of lagging activity.

But if you're looking for an immediately visibly active limb of the overall Splatoon community you might have to dig through the discord servers.

Now that I think about it, the overall Splatoon community has a lot of limbs but are a touch isolated as not everyone communicates with or uses the other limbs of the community.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I'm only a part of the discord server below, atm. I'd plop on a brush or splatling server in a hot second though.

https://discord.gg/NTssGrd The Inkademy Managed by Five-leaf Clover ( Flc ) and Hitzel.

The main focus is competitive splatoon, but there is still weapon/build discussion, and there is a private battle section (though I haven't used it yet myself).

Magic8Ball

Inkling Cadet
Community Ambassador
NNID
M4g1c8Ball
New IP, young franchise, shooter, bright & colorful, Nintendo exclusive.

We're a niche in a niche in a niche—or something like that—so the community was likely pretty small to begin with. So even if dropoffs and quiet periods are the normal ebb and flow of things, our small size makes those low tides quite fierce.

And it's not just squidboards, but pretty much r/splatoon, the Splatoon board on gamefaqs, and other forums with Splatoon traffic have gotten quiet. Though from what I can guess, squidboards and r/splatoon might still have the most traffic. Meanwhile there is also the Splatoon community on youtube, twitter, tumblr, miiverse and animo that are also breathing but likely with the same degree of lagging activity.

But if you're looking for an immediately visibly active limb of the overall Splatoon community you might have to dig through the discord servers.

Now that I think about it, the overall Splatoon community has a lot of limbs but are a touch isolated as not everyone communicates with or uses the other limbs of the community.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah. The past few days I have been digging around, and while it seems like there are a lot of small little pools, none of them overflow into a big ocean. The Discords and such are there, but there is no "centralization" if that makes sense. This site is probably the closest thing we have to it, but not much of the people using those Discords visit here too much. The community is probably suffering due to that, but that's only a primary thought. Maybe there could be a thread listing all these servers, maybe that would help? Even some sort of directory on a random site would help in my opinion.

I'm only a part of the discord server below, atm. I'd plop on a brush or splatling server in a hot second though.

https://discord.gg/NTssGrd The Inkademy Managed by Five-leaf Clover ( Flc ) and Hitzel.

The main focus is competitive splatoon, but there is still weapon/build discussion, and there is a private battle section (though I haven't used it yet myself).
Hey thanks! I'll check it out for sure.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Yes, centralization is correct! Though whether it is needed or not is up to debate.

But it would be interesting or useful to have some sort of Splatoon Discord Dex—yet that would be quite an undertaking and a lot of cats to herd.

calamaro

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I also think the Octoling hype kept this place hopping for a bit. Once that was quashed we all sulked for a bit :)

Ansible

Community Ambassador
I'm told the person in charge of including octolings to game is named Godot. ~(○´ω´○)~

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom