Comp players

Lisku

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/him
comp players take all the fun out of the game. they’re constantly discouraging everything they see, and they never see the good side of the maps, the weapons or the kits. they’re always negative and they’re never saying anything good about the game. please fix this community.

isaac4

Inkling Cadet
wait is this a joke
if it isn't then did this thought come from the discussion about the new kits?

gay4bigman

Full Squid
Pronouns
he/it
Switch Friend Code
SW-4380-0270-6060
i don't fully agree, but i do think some of them should learn some good sportsmanship and learn to treat others better... funny cephalopod game shouldn't be taken so seriously.

ThestralZ

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-1797-1352-6215
People will say negative stuff. Some of it might be true and informed, some might be malarky. But it isn't fair to point fingers at comp players for being the only ones to do it. If anything, comp players want the most to say positive things so more people want to play the game.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
If you have anything specific to say, elaborate. Because just grumbling "waah waah I don't like comp players" isn't going to lead to any kind of productive discussion, you've just put everyone on the defensive by making it into a personal attack seemingly from nowhere.

Lisku

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/him
honestly yall, i was wrong. its just that i’ve seen a lot of negativity in the community and now im just the one being negative. just spreading hate instead of fixing it. I just need to learn to think before I talk. sorry

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
honestly yall, i was wrong. its just that i’ve seen a lot of negativity in the community and now im just the one being negative. just spreading hate instead of fixing it. I just need to learn to think before I talk. sorry
All g. It's chaos out there rn lol

zyf_

Pro Squid
cause its just a video game... there is no need to get so riled up over a game where you play as a squid! let's all have fun and be happy and kind
what if being good at the game and competing against others gives a sense of accomplishment and growth
and what if being invested enough in something to get riled up over it makes us feel alive

i'm not defending the people that belittle others but like
it's not like most of us are forcing other people to share our opinions if u dont like how we view the game then just dont interact idk

Driftwood

Full Squid
Pronouns
he/him
Switch Friend Code
SW-3698-7224-9692
I kind of think that this perception is actually just a function of the way social media works? People have all kinds of opinions on the game but the thoughts of comp players seem to get the most reach. And my guess is that this is because the kinds of people who really keep up with Splatoon on social media are more likely to be comp players (or at least people who take the game seriously). I figure that people who play the game casually are less likely to be involved in online discussions of the game, so have less presence there, even if they might still be a big part of the player base. I could be wrong, just hypothesising here but just wanted to throw it out there.

Edit: One last thought but it's often the people who are most into a game (or anything else) are the ones who are the most disappointed when it doesn't quite achieve what it could. People generally don't complain about things they don't care about. And those people are probably the ones most active online.

Last edited:

gay4bigman

Full Squid
Pronouns
he/it
Switch Friend Code
SW-4380-0270-6060
what if being good at the game and competing against others gives a sense of accomplishment and growth
and what if being invested enough in something to get riled up over it makes us feel alive

i'm not defending the people that belittle others but like
it's not like most of us are forcing other people to share our opinions if u dont like how we view the game then just dont interact idk
i never said i hate the community and i never said people have to play in a certain way kid... i just want people to be nice and positive!
of course a majority of comp players are cool, it's just guys with huge egos that i don't like.

v i didnt mean just in comp spaces, i meant in casual modes as well. not everyone plays for glory : P

Last edited:

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
I think that poor sportsmanship is generally bad, videogame or not.

I think that being a videogame is not a good reason to avoid taking competition seriously.

☆Brody☆

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-4277-5054-4618
I think that poor sportsmanship is generally bad, videogame or not.

I think that being a videogame is not a good reason to avoid taking competition seriously.
Preach 🙏

Shayreep

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-1285-8726-3991
every scene has the bad apples who take it too seriously and cause drama but 99% of comp players arent like that. Im comp but im self aware enough to know that im also playing a childrens video game seriously lol

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
every scene has the bad apples who take it too seriously and cause drama but 99% of comp players arent like that. Im comp but im self aware enough to know that im also playing a childrens video game seriously lol
I worked at Gamestop for 10 years.

The demographic that bought first party Nintendo games had a higher % of adults than the demographic that bought "adult" games like Call of Duty.

At a certain point you start to question which one is the real children's videogame...

bohneevair

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
they/any
Switch Friend Code
SW-2620-8406-4327
I do agree that the negativity gets grating, though. The people complaining have just as much of a right to voice their opinion as I do, but it sort of bums me out. Not really much of a solution other than taking it in stride and ignoring it if it's too much.

Alphine_Agnitio

Trans Bird Trans Bird 🏳‍⚧️
Switch Friend Code
SW-5178-8280-0912
to be honest the splatoon comp scene has genuinly been the most positive and friendly one I've ever experience, and this is coming from the person that's played TCGs and other very nerdy hobbies that attract similar introverted people usually.

I think the people saying that the comp scene has too much whining or negativity haven't actually interacted with it, or take a difference of opinion as dismissal of concerns/active hostility towards their views(I know when I used to be deep in the yugioh comp scene I got annoyed at more beginner players asking the same 3 basic questions non-stop in help channels sometimes, but its rarely out of active malice or looking down on players less experienced than me, it's just exhausting.)

At the end of the day, The more hours or general investment you have in a game, the more likely it is you are to play the game to an above average level, and, more importantly, have a better understanding of the game from raw experience(this applies to single-player games too.) From my experience, the divide between the casual invested with only a couple dozen hours, and the comp players with 500-1000 hours is steep simply on that experience divide alone; because the comp player sees the game for what it actually is from their experience delving into the deep side of the ink, while the casual player has not experienced even a half of what the comp player has and might have formed opinions around misinfo/exaggerations/other misc logically fallicies(I though Anarchy Series was a "do it once, if you lose, you can never que up for it again" mode until I got into the comp scene, as a personal ancedote)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom