• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Competitive 101 for an Otherwise Newcomer

ChaosChao

Senior Squid
NNID
ChaosChao
Switch Friend Code
SW-6158-1452-9029
HI there!

So I'm (still) relatively new to these boards. I, unlike most frequenters of this place, neither owned Splatoon nor a Wii U. I always wanted to but life always got in the way. Now that I have a footing in Splatoon 2, so to speak, how can I up my game to be more competitive as well as connect with other people? Most of my friends that have this game have no indication that they want to play competitively, so it's making it tough to find teammates.

As for my skill level, I'd like to think I'm getting better, but at the same time I feel I'm not. I can't hold a win streak for very long in the majority of the modes, in the case of Ranked I rather hang back and run support for my team since pushing an objective has never been my strongest suit, and I like to avoid as much combat as possible in Turf War (I usually run a top with Ninja Squid for something like this). Do I have a bad mentality when approaching this game? Am I more concerned about how to play rather than what I use? I have so many questions and I need help. Thanks! ^_^

dishwasher

Full Squid
Well first of all, these forums helped me (and many others) find an S2 team, so start looking and I'm sure you'll find something!

And secondly, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that style of play! I'm a charger main so naturally I fill the support role too. However, the issue with the randomised matchmaking for Ranked can put you with a team that doesn't play well with support roles. So kinda tying back to my first thought, find a team here that can accommodate your play style. And trust me, it's MUCH better playing on a team with people you can communicate with haha.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Greetings! Support is invaluable in this game, but you should get comfortable taking people on eventually as combat is a large focus in this game, even more than the first title. The best support players will have to go for the throat, alone or backing up their allies, eventually.

That aside, one thing you can do on support is map control, keeping important routes your color can stymie the enemy's advance and make them waste time painting. Every drop you put out is poison, so if at least two enemies are dead and your team has the upper hand, cover some ground and paint over their wall shortcuts!

If you want to meet folks, here's a lovely thread! > https://squidboards.com/threads/nintendo-switch-friend-code-collection.29687/
Feel free to ask questions, and good luck out there!

Mr. 9

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
interesting_deal
Hey bud, welcome aboard! It would be great if you could tell us what kind of weapons you like to use so we can understand what type of role may be best suited for you. For example, if you like chargers then support is your gig, but if you're running out there with the Luna Blaster then the advice becomes much different. I'm an aggressive type for example, but there are plenty of outstanding support players who hold it down for their teams as well. It just depends on you really... ;). Critically, your weapon really determines your role.

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
If you want to do support, I'd say the Squiffer is a nice weapon. Even if you can't land all of your shots, you can still throw point sensors at threats to alert your allies, and Ink Armor when your team is about to fight a few enemies. When you can land your shots, you become a massive distraction. If you're annoying enough, the enemy will sometimes completely ignore the objective just to go after you, which in itself is a huge help.

I can't say I would advise avoiding combat. I grew pretty gunshy when experienced players from the first game destroyed me in ranked when I started, so I get the mentality. You can't do much for your team, and it leads to getting splatted more often. Not worrying so much about getting splatted helps. Even in Turf Wars, which has turned into a bloodbath.

ChaosChao

Senior Squid
NNID
ChaosChao
Switch Friend Code
SW-6158-1452-9029
Hey bud, welcome aboard! It would be great if you could tell us what kind of weapons you like to use so we can understand what type of role may be best suited for you. For example, if you like chargers then support is your gig, but if you're running out there with the Luna Blaster then the advice becomes much different. I'm an aggressive type for example, but there are plenty of outstanding support players who hold it down for their teams as well. It just depends on you really... ;). Critically, your weapon really determines your role.
Well lately I've been using the Heavy Splatling for Tower Control, the Custom Splattershot Jr. for Rainmaker and Turf War and I'm still not sure what I want to use for Splat Zones since that's arguably my weakest mode, so I try a bit of everything....Dualies, Sloshers, you name it. I don't care for Blasters or Chargers (except for Salmon Run, they are invaluable there). At least in the case of Turf War, I can consistently net a score of 1400 or more with the Custom Splattershot Jr. That, of course, doesn't dictate if I have a good win-loss ratio with that weapon of course, but this is the info I know for certain right now.

PS: That Inkling profile pic just slowly inching along on the floor is hilarious. XD I love it!

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
A high score in Turf War isn't necessarily a good thing. If you get 1400 and lose, that means you were mostly re-painting areas the enemy had covered in a tug of war and not necessarily gaining ground. It's better to take out opponents and push into their territory instead of simply undoing their work.

For Splat Zones, you could try the Jet Squelcher. Statistically it's quite similar to the Heavy Splatling, mostly differing in how it fires. You can paint the zone without being anywhere near it. Same goes for the Heavy Splatling, actually.

ChaosChao

Senior Squid
NNID
ChaosChao
Switch Friend Code
SW-6158-1452-9029
Thanks. I'm starting to get the hang of the Jet Squelcher. I was also wondering what sort of mentality I should have in Turf War since not only would I like to get better at it, but also because it's my "experimental" mode where I try out weapons and see how they feel.

Last edited:

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
In any mode, it's a winning attitude to focus on the objective. In Turf, that's naturally covering ground. When you're painting an area, be thorough but be fast - try to get corners and obscure spots since every point counts, but try not to take more than a second out of your way doing so. This tactic is usually best for painting your side that the enemy can't get to, and then taking the fight to the enemy. If, say, you kill 2 opponents, their team's inking ability is reduced by half or even more, if their remaining weapons can't turf well. Don't underestimate the value of removing foes for 8.5 seconds! These stage designs lean heavily towards forcing confrontations between players, so even in turf war combat is inevitable. One way of consistently winning in Turf is a mixture of efficiently painting and also keeping the enemy from doing the same via splatting them, stalling them, and pushing them back.

Oh, and don't be afraid to perform kamikaze rushes in the last 10 seconds. If you make a rapid push into enemy territory firing wildly, who cares if you die as time runs out? Covering that extra bit of ground can push the scales just enough to win matches!

ChaosChao

Senior Squid
NNID
ChaosChao
Switch Friend Code
SW-6158-1452-9029
In any mode, it's a winning attitude to focus on the objective. In Turf, that's naturally covering ground. When you're painting an area, be thorough but be fast - try to get corners and obscure spots since every point counts, but try not to take more than a second out of your way doing so. This tactic is usually best for painting your side that the enemy can't get to, and then taking the fight to the enemy. If, say, you kill 2 opponents, their team's inking ability is reduced by half or even more, if their remaining weapons can't turf well. Don't underestimate the value of removing foes for 8.5 seconds! These stage designs lean heavily towards forcing confrontations between players, so even in turf war combat is inevitable. One way of consistently winning in Turf is a mixture of efficiently painting and also keeping the enemy from doing the same via splatting them, stalling them, and pushing them back.

Oh, and don't be afraid to perform kamikaze rushes in the last 10 seconds. If you make a rapid push into enemy territory firing wildly, who cares if you die as time runs out? Covering that extra bit of ground can push the scales just enough to win matches!
Yeah, I think I understand what you're saying. I'm doing some Turf War matches and I've noticed my kill count for this mode has gone up at the very least a little. I've had many matches without kills in Turf War and I'm seeing that I'm having about 4-9 kills per match with this sort of mentality.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Sounds like you're on the right track then! Keep at it and feel free to ask if you have any other questions :) You can do it!

flamingoezz

Inkling
Not being aggressive isn't a bad thing, but I'd advise that instead of avoiding battle, instead focus on staying alive. If you find an instance where someone has higher ground or you have been hit twice and not returned any shots, feel free to throw a bomb and retreat a bit to teammates. This will help save your specials and make a push back as a team.

In terms of support roles as people mention, be sure to move up with the objective. Nothing worse than playing tower control with 3 other support players and have them essentially leave you hanging every time you get on the tower. You need to move up with the tower too and put fire on those chokepoints.

Good luck.

HI there!

So I'm (still) relatively new to these boards. I, unlike most frequenters of this place, neither owned Splatoon nor a Wii U. I always wanted to but life always got in the way. Now that I have a footing in Splatoon 2, so to speak, how can I up my game to be more competitive as well as connect with other people? Most of my friends that have this game have no indication that they want to play competitively, so it's making it tough to find teammates.

As for my skill level, I'd like to think I'm getting better, but at the same time I feel I'm not. I can't hold a win streak for very long in the majority of the modes, in the case of Ranked I rather hang back and run support for my team since pushing an objective has never been my strongest suit, and I like to avoid as much combat as possible in Turf War (I usually run a top with Ninja Squid for something like this). Do I have a bad mentality when approaching this game? Am I more concerned about how to play rather than what I use? I have so many questions and I need help. Thanks! ^_^

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Flamingoezz makes a good point that I feel compelled to expand upon. Good support play does involve staying alive, yeah, you can serve as a mobile beakon for your more aggressive allies when they inevitably die and come back. Good positioning will make you a consistently safe landing spot. Just, you know, don't be a coward, haha, stay back but punish the enemy if you see an opportunity :P

ChaosChao

Senior Squid
NNID
ChaosChao
Switch Friend Code
SW-6158-1452-9029
Flamingoezz makes a good point that I feel compelled to expand upon. Good support play does involve staying alive, yeah, you can serve as a mobile beakon for your more aggressive allies when they inevitably die and come back. Good positioning will make you a consistently safe landing spot. Just, you know, don't be a coward, haha, stay back but punish the enemy if you see an opportunity :p
One more question: I'm in the B ranks for Ranked Battle (all modes). How feasible is it to meet others on here around the same rank?

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
There's players of all skill levels here on squidboards, from casuals to pros. I'm sure you can find people of comparable skill. Higher level players can help you improve, too!

ChaosChao

Senior Squid
NNID
ChaosChao
Switch Friend Code
SW-6158-1452-9029
Oh I do have one more question (sorry XD): I think I'm understanding equipment skills and whatnot but I'm not sure which ones pair well with abilities that are main only (not sub), such as Tenacity. Any advice on that?

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Oh I do have one more question (sorry XD): I think I'm understanding equipment skills and whatnot but I'm not sure which ones pair well with abilities that are main only (not sub), such as Tenacity. Any advice on that?
Unique abilities, such as Tenacity, have unusual effects which is why you can only have the one. All of their effects stack with regular abilities when the case arises. You'll have to get a little more specific for further answers :P

ChaosChao

Senior Squid
NNID
ChaosChao
Switch Friend Code
SW-6158-1452-9029
Okay, well...for example, as I've said before I run tops with Ninja Squid a lot in Turf War. To me, something like Swim Speed Up complements that ability but Ninja Squid is one of those "unusual effects". What sub abilities go well with those sorts of unusual main abilities? I brought up Tenacity because that's my favorite main ability in the game because it has ridiculous utility since people are constantly killing and respawning, a few quick seconds of a free special charge up can make the difference, however, unusual as it is, Tenacity is more unusual than say Ninja Squid because for the latter, it's pretty clear Swim Speed Up would be one of those abilities that complements the latter well. Something like Tenacity is trickier to pin down what sub abilities work well with it. Does that make sense?

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
It varies by the unique ability. Ninja Squid lowers your speed by about 10%, so using swim speed to counteract that penalty is a common tactic. Tenacity doesn't really need any other abilities to be effective, because 2 special gauge per second per dead ally adds up REAL quick. You can pair Tenacity with Special Charge Up for even more rapid special gain, but it works perfectly well on it's own.

Are you familiar with the wiki? If not, here you go! This is a good place to read up on everything. https://splatoonwiki.org/wiki/Ability

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
I don't care for Blasters
Thanks for breaking my heart.

Jokes aside, squidboards is populated enough to get you some mates to squad with and get better.
There's also a squidboards discord server, where you can look for teammates, get some advice, and maybe see a funny meme at:
https://discordapp.com/invite/nWmbPPf

But about yourself, sounds like your a support main, unfortunately, I can't help you out there. I'm more of the guy that makes the enemy team explode into your color ink, if I have to resort to violence. But if you do want to some day kill everyone in sight with a blaster, I'm the guy you should contact.

Other than that, Dessgeega is good jet player who knows how to support his team, and if you couldn't tell he's a jet squelcher fanboy.
And definitely look into the guides if you want to find some good advice about certain play styles, weapons, and abilities that you can use to your advantage.

Good Luck mate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom