Competitive techniques and terms.

RedgemSoda

Inkster Jr.
Through my searching of the Squidboards Forums I noticed that there are a bit of techniques and terms used for certain plays or actions. So I decided to compile the ones I found into one thread.

Burst-Canceling
Burst-canceling mainly works with the Carbon Roller and Slosher as the technique is to throw or 'flick' a burst bomb then flick your weapon to make a quick splat. Also referred to as Slosh Bombing, Flick Bombing, etc. Not to get technical but it works by animation canceling. As you throw the bomb you flick around the end of the burst animation to make the splat or KO making quick unlike the pause to flick your weapon twice making it slower to splat your target. If you want to go technical about it and have a video guide then you can check out this video made by Nintendome.
Oringinal Finder: http://squidboards.com/members/kurogal.5755/

Squid-Trotting
Squid-trotting is another way to move stealthy throughout the map during a battle. It's mainly used for players who doesn't want to use a slot for the ninja squid ability but still want those stealth splats in battle. While it is technically slower than tilt swimming and ninja squid its much more easier to use it during the stress of battle and yes it works with the swim-speed up ability. To use this technique just press forward on the left stick and let go about a quarter of a second. Repeatably do this and you got Squid-Trotting. It give you a burst of speed while not making any ripples in the ink while you trot. Don't comprehend with text or want to know numbers and mathy stuff? Another video made by Nintendome explains with visuals.
Original Thread: http://squidboards.com/threads/squi...alth-swimming-for-non-ninja-squid-users.7885/

Flick-Snipes
Flick Snipes is used mainly for the charger and its basically hiding you line of sight form other players so you can surprise snipe them quickly and effectively. This technique should be a given to most charger players but for those who don't let me explain. Chargers have this laser sight that other players can see in battle and when another player spots the laser sight their first instinct is to swim away or depending on distance fight back. Flick-Sniping is hiding or redirecting the laser away then quickly aim at the opposing player for a quick splat. It takes practice but eventually it will come easy. Its recommended you start with the Squiffer (Classic or New) then build up from there. While it is harder to do it with a scope, Its possible to do flick-sniping with it.
Original thread:
http://squidboards.com/guides/how-to-practice-flick-snipes.112/

Let me know if I got anything wrong or any new techniques found or I didn't know about.

WydrA

Inkling Commander
Someone started making a list of al the techs a while ago, but then they dropped off the face of the planet.
There are a lot more techs out there than these three, but it's a pretty touchy subject round here. Most people are casual - semi casual/this is their first competitive community, so they think if t's not super complicated or a glitch, it's not a tech.
I guess after the backlash people just stopped sharing.

Anyway, if you're serious about collecting all the techs in one place, try searching through earlier pages of the forum. You should be able to find the there.

RedgemSoda

Inkster Jr.
Someone started making a list of al the techs a while ago, but then they dropped off the face of the planet.
There are a lot more techs out there than these three, but it's a pretty touchy subject round here. Most people are casual - semi casual/this is their first competitive community, so they think if t's not super complicated or a glitch, it's not a tech.
I guess after the backlash people just stopped sharing.

Anyway, if you're serious about collecting all the techs in one place, try searching through earlier pages of the forum. You should be able to find the there.
I'll look into that. Thanks. Also I am determined to find all if not most of them. Backlash might be bad but it won't stop me.

Kat

Wet, Warm & Sticky
NNID
FunkyFlump
Hopefully this won't be another of the, like, 10 threads I've had to sticky then unsticky because they die out. Good luck and good formatting on the original post.

WydrA

Inkling Commander
I'll look into that. Thanks. Also I am determined to find all if not most of them. Backlash might be bad but it won't stop me.
I would recommend using "something that requires technical skill" as your definition for what is and isn't tech. Then just tell people that if they want to contest it, the can go make a thread elsewhere or something.

Anyway, good luck. Would really be nice to see all this stuff finally collected in one place :)

RedgemSoda

Inkster Jr.
Hopefully this won't be another of the, like, 10 threads I've had to sticky then unsticky because they die out. Good luck and good formatting on the original post.
Thanks for the luck. I'm willing to stick around until we find all the possible techniques and terms. But that won't happen anytime soon.

Last edited:

RedgemSoda

Inkster Jr.
I would recommend using "something that requires technical skill" as your definition for what is and isn't tech. Then just tell people that if they want to contest it, the can go make a thread elsewhere or something.

Anyway, good luck. Would really be nice to see all this stuff finally collected in one place :)
I'll think about adding a definition of tech. Since tech has many meanings it will take some time to come up with a good general definition of this thread. Also people who want to contest me is perfectly fine to do so. I have no problem with it. I'm not very detailed so if they want to make things much more detailed than what I wrote then go ahead.

WydrA

Inkling Commander
I'll think about adding a definition of tech. Since tech has many meanings it will take some time to come up with a good general definition of this thread. Also people who want to contest me is perfectly fine to do so. I have no problem with it. I'm not very detailed so if they want to make things much more detailed than what I wrote then go ahead.
Yeah the reason I suggested what I suggested is because it's a very open ended definition, which tbh is probably the only one that is actually a common factor between the different techs from different communities.
Any other definition will probably just cause you problems. trust, I've had this discussion way too any times for way too many hours lol.

[EJ]_Locke

Inkling Commander
NNID
EJ_Locke
You might want to add peeking to the list as it is a very useful (movement option/ offensive maneuver?). There is also turf strafing and trigger swaying, but those are more or less just a way to move when in a 1v1 situation with fancy names.

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
while I commend the effort of collecting these techs, I generally dislike the idea of not fleshing them out with fps fundamentals and how the techs relate back to them.

it's like leaving out how to cook a steak when you're teaching someone how to make filet mignon

D

Deleted Member

What about splat jumping and splat hopping? Those were the first techs discovered around Splatoon's unveiling at E3 2014. Are they even still a thing now?

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
What about splat jumping and splat hopping? Those were the first techs discovered around Splatoon's unveiling at E3 2014. Are they even still a thing now?
Not really. It has been outclassed by Splatterdashing (which is easy to confuse with splatterjumping/hopping as the names are so similar.) I'll just link the old thread here.

WydrA

Inkling Commander
while I commend the effort of collecting these techs, I generally dislike the idea of not fleshing them out with fps fundamentals and how the techs relate back to them.

it's like leaving out how to cook a steak when you're teaching someone how to make filet mignon
Why is fps necessary for learning techs? O_o

WydrA

Inkling Commander
fps fundamentals m8
Oh you mean that fps. i thought you meant f/s.
I dunno, maybe that should be a seperate thread or something. While it relates to tech, it's not really a direct link. You don't usually find fighter fundamentals in tech threads for fighters (at least in my experience) cause it's kind of assumed that if you're using techs you already understand the fundamentals.

RedgemSoda

Inkster Jr.
Not really. It has been outclassed by Splatterdashing (which is easy to confuse with splatterjumping/hopping as the names are so similar.) I'll just link the old thread here.
I'm found them a day after. I'm currently working on adding them to the list and both [Splathopping and Splatdashing] might as well be known.

RedgemSoda

Inkster Jr.
You might want to add peeking to the list as it is a very useful (movement option/ offensive maneuver?). There is also turf strafing and trigger swaying, but those are more or less just a way to move when in a 1v1 situation with fancy names.
I seen flc cover peeking so I will add that. As for the other two i'll have to dig deeper into finding those and see if I will put them on this list or not.

Last edited:

RedgemSoda

Inkster Jr.

I'm still kind of new to the whole fps genre of games and I really don't know much about the fundamentals. I'll look into them and see what they really are all about. Also i'm not really a person of much detail. I pretty much want to give an objective summary on the techs and not a full fledged detailed post. I said this earlier but it's okay if you want to rival me and make a much more detailed thread than mine especially if you want to go back to the fps fundamentals and how it relates to the techs.

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
I'm still kind of new to the whole fps genre of games and I really don't know much about the fundamentals. I'll look into them and see what they really are all about. Also i'm not really a person of much detail. I pretty much want to give an objective summary on the techs and not a full fledged detailed post. I said this earlier but it's okay if you want to rival me and make a much more detailed thread than mine especially if you want to go back to the fps fundamentals and how it relates to the techs.
that's fine; like I said, the idea's commendable. I just don't want a smash-like situation where you get tons of people learning techs without having any idea how to actually play the game properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom