Comprehensive Discussion of the OHKO Blasters.

BigToughMcGruff

Inkling
NNID
BigToughMcGruff
This thread is specifically about the Luna Blaster, Custom Blaster, and Custom Range Blaster.

When I discuss lines for distances, I'm counting the line the dummy is sitting on as line 0, not 1. Blame it on learning computer networking and binary.

First off, some universal info on all 6. At the furthest point of each guns explosion, the splash damage lays squarely on 50. So two shots is all it takes unless the enemy has defense badges. With one main ability Damage Up, it becomes 54.5, and with main ability Damage Up, it's 58.2 damage. I don't have a hat with a strength up so I can't tell you what 3 would be, but going Damage up on all three mains is probably a waste anyways. Personally, I don't rely on Damage Up at all. Blasters are great for OHKO and two-hit KO splash damage, hitting people hidden above ledges or around corners. They're not that great for coverage, so your primary objective is usually killing players to deny the enemy team their players. Because of this, these blasters are more useful in ranked matches rather than turf wars where coverage is king. If a charger or squelcher is camping on a ledge, getting directly under them and doing a one-two splash shots up to them while off guard will take 'em out. When you know you can kite an enemy to a corner, do it, and blast em as soon as they cross it. You are not bad at close range, you are not weak there, you simply must be accurate and fast to aim. It is your own downfall if you are getting killed 1v1 by other close ranged shooter weapons. At the very least, you should trade death for death. If you find you trade death for death a lot, gear for Quick Respawn so you're getting back to the killing field faster than your enemy is. An interesting ability of note for these are Stealth Jump, as you can pop off an unaware enemy as you fly down from the the sky, before you even hit the ground. I don't even have Stealth Jump yet but have pulled this off with just plain jumps to other members. Ninja Squid assassination tactics are also viable.

Now, on to gun specific matters.

Luna Blaster
-OHKO at 1.5 line
-50 splash damage at 2.3 lines
-Ink Mine
-Inkzooka

By far the shortest range blaster of the 3, but also the fastest. Probably the hardest to wield. The distance is so short that in order to use it effectively you must mind game people to kill them with your shots. Kiting and luring an enemy into close quarters or around a corner is key, or swiftly circling around an enemy to flank them. This applies to all three guns, but on this one it's an absolute must. Ink mine is okay, requires map knowledge for best placement, and keep an eye out if an enemy keeps running a particular route and mine it. Otherwise it's there for you to drop for area denial so people can't chase you and then get the hell away from someone until you're in a better placement. Inkzooka in the right hands can wipe out an enemy team, and can catch players off guard when suddenly that person they thought had a ****ty OHKO distance now has a long vertical one.

Personal recommendations for gear abilities are Special Charge Up, as the rapid blasting of your ball will fill it quicker and get you that shiny Inkzooka. Other than that, speed to out-maneuver your opponents or possibly ninja squid.

Luna Blaster Neo
-OHKO at 1.5 line
-50 splash damage at 2.3 line
-Splat Bomb
-Bomb Rush

Same stats as the vanilla Luna Blaster, but the power of splat bomb and bomb rush is a potent powerhouse of coverage that adds some sorely needed offensive range to the Luna series. Heavy use of Special Charge Up, Ink Saver (Sub), and Bomb Range Up to utilize your sub and special to deal with longer range foes and large coverage with Bomb Rush.

Blaster
-OHKO at 2.1
-50 damage at 2.7
-Disruptor
-Killer Wail

The base middle range blaster. The disruptor is good for slowing down enemies for that OHKO or follow up two-hit. I personally don't like this combo. Killer Wail telecasts itself for far to long and most of the time people get out of the way. Though it does have some awesome range to it. While the range is a little longer, you'll find you'll probably have to mind game people just as much as with a Luna. Definitely put on some Bomb Range Up for your disruptor so you can move in with more mobility than your opponent to strike. Speed Up abilities compliment this as well.

Custom Blaster
-OHKO at 2.1 lines
-50 splash damage at 2.7 lines
-Point Sensor
-Bubbler

Unlike the vanilla Blaster, you now have the point sensor and bubbler. The point sensor is pretty meh, if you're playing this close range you should already know where your enemy is. The bubble, however, is fantastic. It can let you waltz into a fray and pop out 2-4 people people, and aid your own team as well. On ranked tower matches this is a god send, as well as small splat-zone stages, as you know people will be moving in close to particular spots. Special Charge Up, Special Duration Up, to maximize on your bubble, and Speed Ups of your choice are viable gear routes.

Range Blaster
-OHKO at 2.7 lines
-50 damage at 3.5 lines
-Ink Wall
-Inkstrike

The longest range of the blaster types. Inkstrike is frequently avoided and mopped back up, in addition to just flat leaving you standing open. The great deal here is the wall for the tactical use. It makes sense to be put on the longest range of the blasters, and using it to ensure you and your teammates don't get hit by incoming fire while you lob out hurling balls of death or retreat for better positioning. Don't forget, in the right situation you can throw a wall on someone and insta-kill them! Gear focus for Ink Saver sub and main to deal with the Ink Wall's high ink cost.

Custom Range Blaster
-OHKO at 2.7 lines
-50 damage at 3.5 lines
-Splat Bomb
-Krakken

A far more aggressive range blaster, on account of the splat bombs and krakken. Also my personal favorite. With the sub being a splat bomb, you can gear for Bomb Range Up to essentially extend your killing range, in addition you could potentially panic your opponent into moving into a spot where you can blast them. You have the option of forgoing gearing for Special related abilities and instead go for sub weapon abilities like Bomb Range Up and Sub Ink Saver to increase your deadliness. Krakken is great for charging in for a kill or backing out of difficult situations. Gearing for your special again and speed is also viable, but now you have options because of even more range and deadliness with your subs!

Me personally, with the current equipment I've managed to acquire:

-Custom Range Blaster
-Jungle Hat completely decked out in Ink Saver (Main) for both Main and all three Sub abilities.
-Shirt and shoes are either double Quick Respawn on main ability or double Bomb Range Up. Want to acquire ninja jump. -Appreciated sub rolls aside from adding to the mains are Special Charge Up, Speed, and Ink Saver (Sub)

Feel free to discuss other builds or tactics, or specific map points that play to your advantage. For example, when splat zoning on Camp Triggerfish, if you can acquire the zone on the enemies side while using the Custom Blaster you can camp there and immediately blast anyone who pops up on the wall or makes a turn around the corner coming up from their ramp. If they try and rush you? Bubble up and take 'em all out anyways.

Last edited:

vtroid5

Full Squid
NNID
vtroid5
No love for the luna neo & vanilla blaster / range blaster?

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
My favorite 1-shot blaster is the standard Range Blaster, simply because Ink Walls are great for supporting your team or holding off an area. Currently, I use my ink saver gear simply because it eats up ink so fast when you use walls, and running out in combat can be fatal.

:head_hat001::ability_inksavermain:l:ability_inksavermain::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inksaversub:
:clothes_shirt003::ability_inkrecovery:l:ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:
White high tops (I forget the name) :ability_inksaversub:l:ability_inksaversub::ability_inksavermain::ability_swimspeed:

Usually, this set allows me to continuously put pressure on the other team with my range, and support my team with Ink Walls.

BigToughMcGruff

Inkling
NNID
BigToughMcGruff
No love for the luna neo & vanilla blaster / range blaster?
Woooooooops. All added now.

My favorite 1-shot blaster is the standard Range Blaster, simply because Ink Walls are great for supporting your team or holding off an area. Currently, I use my ink saver gear simply because it eats up ink so fast when you use walls, and running out in combat can be fatal.

:head_hat001::ability_inksavermain:l:ability_inksavermain::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inksaversub:
:clothes_shirt003::ability_inkrecovery:l:ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:
White high tops (I forget the name) :ability_inksaversub:l:ability_inksaversub::ability_inksavermain::ability_swimspeed:

Usually, this set allows me to continuously put pressure on the other team with my range, and support my team with Ink Walls.
Added your recommendations for standard Range Blaster. I don't play it, so thanks.

Smoothshake317

Pro Squid
Hello Guys, I am a long time blaster player so I can give you some of my thoughts on blasters. Prepare for artistic explanations.

1. One should not describe blasters by a term such as "range". The blaster does not have a range because that would insist that it attacks on a linear axis parallel to the user's line of sight, which is an insult to the main point about blasters. You don't have and range, you have a volume and a radial distance (remember this term) at which you are from the volume. This volume is synonymous with the term "explosion" (crude but efficient).

2. YOU DO NOT SHOOT THE EXPLOSION! THE EXPLOSION SHOOTS YOU! what I mean by this is that you should play this weapon in reverse of how you would normally play a weapon. Instead of thinking about how to shoot your target, you should be thinking about how to not get shot by your target and how avoid being in their range, which is a line. So, the question is how does one stay out of the target's line of fire yet also hit them.

3. What was the term I told you to remember? It was radial distance. Think of the explosion as the center of a sphere and yourself as a point on the sphere. You have the ability to move along the entire surface of the sphere without moving the actual center itself. This means that if your opponent stays in the same spot, all you have to do to out fight them and survive is swivel around your explosion to hit them from a different angle. Essentially, you can attack you opponent from any angle you desire (with some limitations due to ones environment) and because you can do this, DO NOT STAY IN THE LINE OF YOUR OPPONENTS FIRE!

4. Your explosion is a beautiful thing. Because the it is a volume, its hit box is 3-Dimensional. This means that it spreads its hurt I mean love in 3 directions from it's center. One can imagine themselves shooting a bullet into the center of the explosion and coming out in a random direction and stopping its motion at the edge of the explosion. This happens in every direction all at the same time and is represented as the Glowing Halo around the center of the explosion. Now imagine that your opponent is protected by a splash wall. Don't say "Darn, I guess I can't hit them then." All you have to do is shoot you bullet right beside and behind it and have the bullet change direction right in the center of your explosion towards your opponent. It will hit them also long as they are in the bullet's path, which is always. This is the most natural way to understand why the blasters can hit people so easily around corners and how to visualize it when you are aiming at your opponent.

5. You are a dancer taking the following role. When your opponent moves forward, you need to move backwards to avoid an unfavorable confrontation. When your target moves backwards, you should move forward. This is so that you can capture escaping prey who realized getting in a fight against you was a mistake.

megatoon

Inkling
NNID
megamegasaurus
Its fun to lob explosions from under when a charger is standing on a ledge or grated surface.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom