• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Connection error issues?

BlueInk

Inkster Jr.
Sometimes I get really bad lag, resulting in the game to crash everyone out of a lobby, am I the only one?

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Sounds like an interference issue, are you using Wi-Fi?

Ink Gunner Emily

Full Squid
NNID
Ayerin
Sometimes I get really bad lag, resulting in the game to crash everyone out of a lobby, am I the only one?
Sounds like an interference issue, are you using Wi-Fi?
I can answer this. I think it would be Wi-Fi. The reason I know is that I have Wi-Fi myself, pretty soild Wi-Fi, but all the same Wi-Fi. I experience light lag if anything, but on a few occasions I do see the 'Connection is Lost' text bubble pop-up. So yeah, lag depends on connection, but crashes can happen due to an error in connection. The dangers of Wi-Fi. You gotta love them.

Lester Roquefort

Pro Squid
NNID
LesterRoquefort
Switch Friend Code
SW-2928-7410-6310
I'm probably the worst case, i get all of the errors and kickouts and my router is directly in front of the TV, behind a wall.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
The game is very finicky with Wi-Fi. It requires almost no interference from outside sources to work properly, even if it's
right next to your Wii U console. The best solution is to hook up the Wii U with a wired connection with the help of a LAN adapter.
But this may not be an option for some. If you cannot do that, the best you're going to do is change the Wi-Fi channel to
minimize interference. Although this isn't a perfect solution.

BlueInk

Inkster Jr.
It's not my WiFi though. My dad just switched out the splitter 1 month ago. WiFi is locked, WiiU right next to the wifi, and I have it connected to the WiiU. It kept happening ever since I updated Splatoon :T

Ink Gunner Emily

Full Squid
NNID
Ayerin
It's not my WiFi though. My dad just switched out the splitter 1 month ago. WiFi is locked, WiiU right next to the wifi, and I have it connected to the WiiU. It kept happening ever since I updated Splatoon :T
It's still technically a Wi-Fi issue. If you are connected, then there may be an issue with the channel you are using, or it isn't reacting right to the new splitter. There are a lot of possibilities to why it's acting up.

Shuffl3z

Inkling
NNID
Dshuffl3z
^I'm wired and it's probably the greatest thing ever, for any system that is.
But especially since your router and system are that close, makes it all the better. I haven't disconnected once (on my side) or experience any lag to my knowledge.

I had to run mine through the living room, under the carpet, behind the couch, through the void, slay 7 dragons, rescue a princess who friend zoned me, behind my bed and dresser and boom. Mission accomplished.

BlueInk

Inkster Jr.
It's NOT my wifi. Ever sense the last two updated to Splatoon, I've been getting the same errors. I would know if it's my wifi because when my WiFi goes bad, it just shuts off completely. It's that same error code that everyone kept getting during the first Splatfest in the US.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
What's happening is that outside interference is messing with the packets sent from your router to your Wii U. This game from what I researched requires an almost 100% stable internet connection unlike Mario Kart 8 which when the connection is unstable "guesses" what the other players are doing, and likely the same with Smash Bros. That is why we keep saying "Get a wired connection!" because the game requires a very stable connection and Wi-Fi can be unpredictable. If you cannot do that, then you may have to brace the incoming "Connection Unstable" messages every time you play.

Last edited:
NNID
ALazarte
I have issues with connection problems as well but for me my issues deal with it being a wireless extension of my router and the extension is next to a microwave. ( microwaves act like an emp to disrupt wireless communications)

Jet Uppercut

Senior Squid
If the game had any amount of lag compensation small outages of network connectivity would rectify themselves. It's more likely a port forwarding issue, since the game uses an older type of peer to peer networking that basically requires you to have DMZ up to ensure total connectivity to everyone in a lobby. I'm sure Nintendo has stuff on their site about it all if you want to try and fix them up. You should see a lot of your lag issues and lobby disconnects due to host switches go away as well.

Sol64

The RNG God of /r/Splatoon
Funny, I was just about to make a thread, i've been getting a lot of "unstable connection" just today and I was wondering if it was just me.

Maybe today isn't a good day right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom