Connection is unstable

Anything13

Inkling
NNID
Anything13
I have no idea why but i have not been able to play a match in slpatoon in over a week. This has never happened to me even in the global test-fire i rarely dropped a match. The game loads up fine and i find players fairly quickly but about 5-10 seconds into the match i get the unstable connection then the game gets dropped. I understand this happening once in awhile but not every match for 7+ days. If anyone can give me some insight as to why this is occurring it would be helpful. Also its only affecting splatoon any other game i play online runs fine its just affecting splatoon.

Nin10doUltra

Full Squid
NNID
Nin10doUltra
This is happening to me as well. It appears it's just a Splatoon issue. People on reddit have brought up the issue as well. There is going to be a patch soon to fix all of this.

DE235

Full Squid
NNID
Decrosis
I just moved into a new apartment and the only internet service provider is at&t with U verse. I have noticed that it is not as good as comcast but when I play I can never finish a match. Even when I connect with the wii lan adapter the connection gets unstable and I get booted from the game. I'm not sure what is the problem but I hope its just the game because I don't want to have to go to a place with better internet than mine to play this game.

Nin10doUltra

Full Squid
NNID
Nin10doUltra
It will be fixed soon...(hopefully) Try restarting your router or unplugging the power cord out from your Wii u for a few minutes. It didn't work for me, but it might work for you. On on some hours of day i just get unstable connection and and mostly after that it works completely fine for me.

curry time

Senior Squid
NNID
NobleCactus
I've been getting awful connection issues for the past few days, to the point where I don't even want to play Ranked for fear of deranking from Nintendo's shoddy servers. It's absolutely infuriating to clutch out a match, only to see the dreaded "The connection is unstable" and lose 12 big fat ones for reasons outside your control. My net is stable with every other game I play, and I'm not playing at peak hours, so it's definitely not on my end.

I'm also using a LAN adapter.

I'm just glad many, many others around the 'net are also angry about this issue. I certainly hope it's addressed come Friday, or I might just stop playing altogether. Which would be painful, because I really like this game. In a love/hate sort of way.

On that note, a funny story regarding disconnects.

I was just in Urchin TC and the clock reached one minute. Suddenly, everyone except an Aerospray and myself (Luna Blaster) poofed. So I got a free ride to the end.

I'll take those points, thank you very much.

Just played some Unranked. First two matches dced. Then joined one with two players on the other team. Then I joined one with two of our players missing.

Good grief Nintendo. Get your act together.

jerryseinfeldhashadenough.gif

Last edited:

DE235

Full Squid
NNID
Decrosis
My connection speed is 12.7 Mbps and my upload speed is .95 Mbps is could this be the source of my problems.

Anything13

Inkling
NNID
Anything13
I hope this patch happens soon rather than later
This is happening to me as well. It appears it's just a Splatoon issue. People on reddit have brought up the issue as well. There is going to be a patch soon to fix all of this.

SP3CT3R

Full Squid
I've gotten some connection issues, but my game rarely downright ejects me.

Glass Eater

Pro Squid
I install and troubleshoot internet for a living. My biggest advice is to get a lan adapter. If that doesn't work, you either need a new router or it's a problem with your ISP (Internet Service provider). Granted the issue can Nintendo's servers as well.

I can only tell you that I was constantly having connection issues UNTIL I bought a lan adapter. I would love to blame Nintendo's servers all the time, but simply due to the fact that my connection improved almost 1000% since the adapter, I know it's mostly stupid wifi issues. Wifi really isn't that reliable, especially for gaming.

It's my opinion that Nintendo has not installed quality wireless adapters build in the Wii U. It's only a fact that the PS4 and the Xbox1 are capable of using networks coming from 5 gig bands, while the WiiU can't. Sorry nintendo, but you're behind the times, simply the fact that there isn't even a ethernet adapter built in it infuriates me.

nasalfire

Inkling
Good to know that it's not just me and my flaky internet. I was trying to splat someone with the splat roller, to no effect. Then everyone around me started to poof right before my eyes!

curry time

Senior Squid
NNID
NobleCactus
I messed with my router earlier and I'm not getting disconnect issues now. I guess it must have gotten frazzled within the past few days?

I still see others disconnecting, though. Either the entire planet is having a faulty router epidemic or something else is up.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
My biggest advice is to get a lan adapter.
Yeah, that's probably the best solution. Now I just need a way to get a LAN cable from my router to the Wii U over 2 floors :confused: Maybe I'll experiment with dLAN or something...

Glass Eater

Pro Squid
Yeah, that's probably the best solution. Now I just need a way to get a LAN cable from my router to the Wii U over 2 floors :confused: Maybe I'll experiment with dLAN or something...
Do what I do and go buy yourself a 100 foot ethernet line. I made mine myself but they are fairly cheap, just run it on the floor from the router down the stairs to your Wii U. Just tell your family it's temporary and do it when you are having a game night or playing ranked matches. Just wrap it up when your done. Technically I can install ethernet within my walls but I'm too lazy at the moment, so I've had this long 30 foot ethernet line running on my carpet for over a month. I have never even come close to tripping over it, and neither have my dogs.

If your Wii U has several walls and floors separating it from your router than I'm inclined to say that's easily your problem. Gaming requires a constant ping more than fast Download or Upload speeds. Ping can randomly have hiccup moments on a wireless connection especially if stuff is in between.

Sugilite

Inkling
My brother and I have been having this problem for the longest now. I just recently bought the game like maybe a month and a half ago? And I could play story mode just fine but when trying to play online I could never do a full match without getting kicked out 8 seconds into the match. My brother plays PS3/4 and has the same issue trying to play online with his friends (he has better luck than me because his console sucks up more internet than mine damn lucky duck). I've already fiddled with my router and adapter and I've already called Nintendo 3 times, the last being over 3 hours long trying to solve this issue to no avail. I have DirecTV but thinking of buying an ISP just for my bro and I's gaming. What provider has worked the best for you all?

(sorry for this mouthful of an explanation ; v ; )
EDIT: I don't get an error code either, it just says my connection is unstable and then kicks me out.

Last edited:

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Connection unstable and the error code that follows is due to Interference according to Nintendo. There are two ways to go around it, first is set your Wii U to a wired connection and that means getting a LAN adapter for the Wii U and putting a ethernet wire from your router to your Wii U. That will usually fix it for good. Or if that's not an option, what Nintendo normally recommends when you call them is changing the channel of your Wi-Fi connection to a number not used often, (I think 1 or 11), this can help but usually doesn't completely fix the problem.

NotAPerso

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PersocomLover
I recently purchased a new router and out of nowhere I started getting unstable connection errors. I was sure it wasn't my internet speed or Splatoon itself as I had rare issues previously.

The other day I figured out why and I'm sure it's something that plagues many Splatoon players without them even realizing it's causing an issue. In my router settings I had to change it from broadcasting in B/G/N to broadcast in G only. Most newer routers will have that option so if you can figure out how to switch it Isuggest you try and see if that will alleviate your issues.

Also, as suggested previously make sure your wifi is broadcasting in an open channel like 11.

SwiftySquid

Inkster Jr.
NNID
PlatninumGamer
R.I.P Your Connection -- 2015-2015 ;-;

I recently purchased a new router and out of nowhere I started getting unstable connection errors. I was sure it wasn't my internet speed or Splatoon itself as I had rare issues previously.

The other day I figured out why and I'm sure it's something that plagues many Splatoon players without them even realizing it's causing an issue. In my router settings I had to change it from broadcasting in B/G/N to broadcast in G only. Most newer routers will have that option so if you can figure out how to switch it Isuggest you try and see if that will alleviate your issues.

Also, as suggested previously make sure your wifi is broadcasting in an open channel like 11.
Follow this squiddy's advice. Hopefully, it helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom