• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Connection lost are becoming hideously common

MacTheWriter

Full Squid
NNID
CotePowerRangers
I'm not sure if it's just me or if it's a common thing in multiplayer, but the online connection somehow got worse and worse the more I play the game. You know what rank I was before all this **** happened? B- 90. After all this stuff? Freaking C+ 18. I'm not kidding.

It wouldn't be such a problem if it didn't happened often, but today, and I swear to God I'm not joking here, it happened to me 7 ****ing time in a row. Yes, all in a row. I was so angry when that happened (and it honestly didn't helped that I kept getting my *** kicked in Tournament Mode in Smash 4 not too long ago), and I'm considering to quit the game until Nintendo does something about it. Either they fix that issue or they remove the downgrading whenever the connections get lost. Either way, it would make a huge change for me.

Do you guys have the same problem, or is it just me? If not, is there anything I could do to fix that? If so... well, that's a bummer.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
The first thing to try when this happens is to ditch that packet-losing wifi connection and using the LAN adapter for Wii/Wii U.

The second thing to try is to ditch Linksys brand network hardware and use something with less gaming-unfriendly QoS networking code (Try Asus or D-Link or Netgear. Also this is an old problem that goes back to the days of Command And Conquer Red Alert, I recall the manual recommending AGAINST Linksys hardware for netplay).

The third thing to try is to get angry with your ISP for a crappy connection. If possible, threaten to switch service to their rivals.

The fourth thing is to wait for a QoS update patch to get issued.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
The first thing to try when this happens is to ditch that packet-losing wifi connection and using the LAN adapter for Wii/Wii U.

The second thing to try is to ditch Linksys brand network hardware and use something with less gaming-unfriendly QoS networking code (Try Asus or D-Link or Netgear. Also this is an old problem that goes back to the days of Command And Conquer Red Alert, I recall the manual recommending AGAINST Linksys hardware for netplay).

The third thing to try is to get angry with your ISP for a crappy connection. If possible, threaten to switch service to their rivals.

The fourth thing is to wait for a QoS update patch to get issued.
Don't worry, it's not a problem related to internet speeds. My internet is crazy fast and even i keep seeing more d/cs then usual before the 2.0 patch. I have a friend who can't even play online anymore since he d/c all the time. Nintendo is aware of it though and they'll (probably) try to fix it when the next big patch hits.

MooseSmuggler

Inkling
NNID
MooseSmuggler
I'm not sure if this'll be of much help, but I figure with what I'm hearing/seeing, it's pertinent to ask. Is your ISP by ANY chance Comcast/XFinity? Because apparently a lot of their customers (myself included *sigh*) have been seeing a lot of random disconnections happening daily every day for as long as a few months in some cases. If they ARE your ISP, you might want to either switch or hold off on doing ranked until they get this sorted out...if they do.

Bear in mind, I'm only getting this from skimming a few threads in their help forum, but it seems like this is a new but widespread problem. I could be jumping the gun, but it's worth a look.

MacTheWriter

Full Squid
NNID
CotePowerRangers
Sorry i can't help it :c

It's not that common, but when it happens to me, its almost 99% of the time players from Japan.
In my case, it's not just the Japanese players; it's practically anyone. Though considering of how a lot of people apparently don't have the same problem, I guess it's just me. Though that doesn't explain why Smash 4 can be played online smoothly in With Friends mode.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I only have connection issues with some of the players in my Friend List. Must be an issue linking to the server node they're using. No exceptional issues with Splatfest or playing with Japanese players.

D

Deleted Member

Had like 4 connection errors in the last hour, really frustrating because i dont have so much time during this splatfest and i need my seasnails :D

Rex

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Xerhid
I've had quite a few disconnects. I myself get them maybe every 15 matches, but I see them about every 5th match on either my team or the other team. I have noticed the frequency increasing.

I am connected via LAN, although over an electrical outlet adapter since the Wii U is too far to run a line. I seriously doubt the issue is my internet, but who knows.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
The good news is that the 2.1.0 patch slated for early September has some network connection QoS code updates. Hope they help mitigate the network issues.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
I'm not sure if this'll be of much help, but I figure with what I'm hearing/seeing, it's pertinent to ask. Is your ISP by ANY chance Comcast/XFinity? Because apparently a lot of their customers (myself included *sigh*) have been seeing a lot of random disconnections happening daily every day for as long as a few months in some cases. If they ARE your ISP, you might want to either switch or hold off on doing ranked until they get this sorted out...if they do.

Bear in mind, I'm only getting this from skimming a few threads in their help forum, but it seems like this is a new but widespread problem. I could be jumping the gun, but it's worth a look.
We have Xfinity/Comcast and it was huge pain in the anemone. "Connection Unstable" messages and disconnections everywhere.
We tried everything, port fowarding, putting the Wii U in a DMZ. Nothing changed.
We changed the channel of the Wi-Fi, and while it helped a little, ultimately the problem is still there.

So I decided to order a LAN Cable and put the Wii U in a wired connection. The problem was finally fixed. No "Connection Unstable" and no disconnections
mid match. It works absolutely perfectly and still does. It was the best $20 I have spent this year.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
We have Xfinity/Comcast and it was huge pain in the anemone. "Connection Unstable" messages and disconnections everywhere.
We tried everything, port fowarding, putting the Wii U in a DMZ. Nothing changed.
We changed the channel of the Wi-Fi, and while it helped a little, ultimately the problem is still there.

So I decided to order a LAN Cable and put the Wii U in a wired connection. The problem was finally fixed. No "Connection Unstable" and no disconnections
mid match. It works absolutely perfectly and still does. It was the best $20 I have spent this year.
Lan Adapter is best Wii and Wii U accessory.

TheN64

Inkling
NNID
N64PCGamer
Disconnects are really annoying. I don't think its worth to stop playing the game all together just 'cause disconnects happen a lot. My longest dc chain has been 3 in a row, but I didn't throw down the controller and say I'M DONE!!!! I just said "oh, well that's annoying" and I kept playing.

Everything else I agree with though. Losing 10 points for being dc'd?? That is the WORST (Not like this is the first time. You lose 100 vr for being dc'd in MK8 MK7 and MKWii) This issue seems to happen to me much MUCH more during Splatfest though. Oh well, its still annoying.

Drez

Pro Squid
NNID
neokrw
It wouldn't be such a problem if it didn't happened often, but today, and I swear to God I'm not joking here, it happened to me 7 ****ing time in a row. .
I believe you. It happened to me around 10 times or more before. I felt like I was being attacked or something. I still lag though, using wired now.

Pteropine

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RennyKlavan
I haven't disconnected from a match in a WHILE(In fact once I was one of the only ones to not disconnect... I was playing a 2vs0 match lmao) but I have had to retry to enter turf war like 5-10 times to actually not get an error... :-\

Chaosmaster8753

Inkling
NNID
ChaoticZelos3578
Ugh, I've been getting these annoying disconnections lately. It's just so frustrating that my internet went from being able to handle playing this game online pretty well to just randomly disconnecting... Today especially I couldn't even play one single match.

MacTheWriter

Full Squid
NNID
CotePowerRangers
After the update, I got less of those disconnection problems. Thank God Nintendo heard my prayers.

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
Before the latest update, I kept getting kicked off despite my internet connection being extremely fast. From what I've seen after the update, the disconnections seem to not happen all that much. Hopefully this is the case the next time I play Splatoon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom