• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Constant Ranking Down

Hoenn007

Full Squid
NNID
JTMSPEED89
Who else is having this problem in rank battles? No matter what I do, changing weapons and all, rank goes down and It is a nuisance!

Splat Zones Weapons: :wst_shot_expert00::wst_shot_expert01:
Tower Control Weapons: :wst_shot_long00::wst_shot_long01:

EBJustin

Full Squid
NNID
EBJustin
I don't really have this problem anymore unless I use a barrage of weapons when my rank is already in a low state. I went through the same stage you did as I was developing. However, as I began to develop a good arsenal of weapons I could use, my rank never really suffered and thereafter I was able to reach S+, eventually being able to keep it. You just need to play, play, play, and you will get better and losing rank will no longer be an issue. :)

blu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
blu_64
Its also good to take a break, and try again later. Coming back refreshed can really put the hurt on your opposition. A rule I tend to go by is if I lose about t-3 times in a row, I take a break as it could mean a losing streak. Not always, but if the mode isn't to your advantage, or your not to hot on a particular map, its always good to know when to back off.

Also, jump into turf wars when you disconnect. It'll save you more trouble than its worth. Internet connections can be spotty sometimes, and a check in turf war never hurts; You can always come back when everything seems ok!

Keep trying new weapons, analyze your play, and use recon (press Y to select it) to learn the maps; Get a feel on where the goals are, where the chokepoints are (openings where the opposition team meet you in the middle), and familiarize yourself enough to not go into rank modes cold. Course knowledge can really help turn the tide by helping to lock down areas the enemy is using, thus giving your team an opening, or some much needed momentum.

One more thing: some hours can seem easier than others. Keep those times in mind; Which hours do you tend to do well on? Mornings, afternoons? Play those times as it will help you keep your rank up. Play harder rank modes when your rank is near the top, never near the bottom because that will just make your rank sink like a stone.

Hoenn007

Full Squid
NNID
JTMSPEED89
This has been an issue for me, even at Level 50. I went from hitting S rank, to now on the verge of ranking down to A- rank.

Hoenn007

Full Squid
NNID
JTMSPEED89
Its also good to take a break, and try again later. Coming back refreshed can really put the hurt on your opposition. A rule I tend to go by is if I lose about t-3 times in a row, I take a break as it could mean a losing streak. Not always, but if the mode isn't to your advantage, or your not to hot on a particular map, its always good to know when to back off.

Also, jump into turf wars when you disconnect. It'll save you more trouble than its worth. Internet connections can be spotty sometimes, and a check in turf war never hurts; You can always come back when everything seems ok!

Keep trying new weapons, analyze your play, and use recon (press Y to select it) to learn the maps; Get a feel on where the goals are, where the chokepoints are (openings where the opposition team meet you in the middle), and familiarize yourself enough to not go into rank modes cold. Course knowledge can really help turn the tide by helping to lock down areas the enemy is using, thus giving your team an opening, or some much needed momentum.

One more thing: some hours can seem easier than others. Keep those times in mind; Which hours do you tend to do well on? Mornings, afternoons? Play those times as it will help you keep your rank up. Play harder rank modes when your rank is near the top, never near the bottom because that will just make your rank sink like a stone.

I even did that, did not work, and still got pummeled. And to the hours questions, it is up in the air since working 5 out of 7 days in a week.

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
If I lose more than 2 times in a row, I leave the lobby and join a new one. Sometimes I take the time to switch out shirts or weapons (Da Jungle Hat and Blue Moto stays). And guess what? I got to A- today!

Also, depending on your weapon, support your teammates and try to keep back your opponents!

Hoenn007

Full Squid
NNID
JTMSPEED89
If I lose more than 2 times in a row, I leave the lobby and join a new one. Sometimes I take the time to switch out shirts or weapons (Da Jungle Hat and Blue Moto stays). And guess what? I got to A- today!

Also, depending on your weapon, support your teammates and try to keep back your opponents!
How can I Support the team, using:wst_shot_long00::wst_shot_long01::wst_shot_expert00:or:wst_shot_expert01: depending on rank mode, when most of the team gets splatted at once.

EBJustin

Full Squid
NNID
EBJustin
How can I Support the team, using:wst_shot_long00::wst_shot_long01::wst_shot_expert00:or:wst_shot_expert01: depending on rank mode, when most of the team gets splatted at once.
Considering the weapons you are using, you must stand your range. Granted, you could get more aggressive with the normal Jet Squelcher while playing around with your wall, but the Custom Jet Squelcher is more appropriate for aggressive gameplay due to your Burst Bomb availability. Since the nerf though, burst bombs consume 40% of your ink tank per burst bomb, so instead of 4, you can only throw 2 at a time with no Ink Saver Sub slots. This goes back to my point of standing your ground. When people approach you in mid-range combat (or somewhat short range, but still a good distance away), make sure you re-position yourself. Re-positioning yourself allows you to reset your shots at a different angle, which the opponent(s) may not pick up on in time and you will get the splat on them without being splatted yourself.

The same can be said for the Splattershot Pro variants. The range is a little less than that of the Jet Squelcher, but it still has solid range and a 3-shot kill. The normal Splattershot Pro with the Splat Bomb sub weapon and Inkstrike special weapon should be used for Splat Zones, whereas the Forge Splattershot Pro should be used for Tower Control and perhaps Rainmaker. Personally I prefer the Berry Splattershot Pro for all modes (especially Splat Zones), so I would consider giving the Berry some use. With these weapons you cannot claim turf too easily; your job is more so to pick off people from a distance that your other teammates may lack the range to approach. These weapons can definitely be used offensively, but I would develop a defensive play-style in addition to an offensive one so you don't charge into situations with lackluster decisions.

Hoenn007

Full Squid
NNID
JTMSPEED89
Considering the weapons you are using, you must stand your range. Granted, you could get more aggressive with the normal Jet Squelcher while playing around with your wall, but the Custom Jet Squelcher is more appropriate for aggressive gameplay due to your Burst Bomb availability. Since the nerf though, burst bombs consume 40% of your ink tank per burst bomb, so instead of 4, you can only throw 2 at a time with no Ink Saver Sub slots. This goes back to my point of standing your ground. When people approach you in mid-range combat (or somewhat short range, but still a good distance away), make sure you re-position yourself. Re-positioning yourself allows you to reset your shots at a different angle, which the opponent(s) may not pick up on in time and you will get the splat on them without being splatted yourself.

The same can be said for the Splattershot Pro variants. The range is a little less than that of the Jet Squelcher, but it still has solid range and a 3-shot kill. The normal Splattershot Pro with the Splat Bomb sub weapon and Inkstrike special weapon should be used for Splat Zones, whereas the Forge Splattershot Pro should be used for Tower Control and perhaps Rainmaker. Personally I prefer the Berry Splattershot Pro for all modes (especially Splat Zones), so I would consider giving the Berry some use. With these weapons you cannot claim turf too easily; your job is more so to pick off people from a distance that your other teammates may lack the range to approach. These weapons can definitely be used offensively, but I would develop a defensive play-style in addition to an offensive one so you don't charge into situations with lackluster decisions.
How can I stand my range if I am outranged? and I will consider the Berry Splattershot Pro.

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
How can I stand my range if I am outranged? and I will consider the Berry Splattershot Pro.
The Jet Squelcher is the longest ranged shooter in Splatoon. I think you'll do fine with other shooters as long as you don't let them get too close (I haven't played it in forever but I know it's painfully slow so you can get splatted easily) I main shorter ranged weapons(think Wasabi, '89, and RG) so if I'm out ranged, I swim away and try to get the splat from another angle.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
How can I stand my range if I am outranged?
Are you frequently taken out by Chargers? If that's the case, working on your positioning and movement could be instrumental in winning more games. Although it makes it harder for you to aim at perched (or otherwise rampant) Chargers, attacking more evasively (jumping around at intervals and ensuring that your ground is painted so that you can swim around) will make it all the more difficult for enemy snipers to hit you. Your weapon potentially places you in a strong position to deal with them, so you should make the most of that. As for Hydras... uh, no advice there. I'm terrified of them and never know what to do.

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
Are you frequently taken out by Chargers? If that's the case, working on your positioning and movement could be instrumental in winning more games. Although it makes it harder for you to aim at perched (or otherwise rampant) Chargers, attacking more evasively (jumping around at intervals and ensuring that your ground is painted so that you can swim around) will make it all the more difficult for enemy snipers to hit you. Your weapon potentially places you in a strong position to deal with them, so you should make the most of that. As for Hydras... uh, no advice there. I'm terrified of them and never know what to do.
I charge and splat them as soon as I see them XD Thankfully, they usually aren't at full charge/a good enough charge to stop me. I recommend waiting on them to finish out a round before attacking.

Last edited:

EBJustin

Full Squid
NNID
EBJustin
As others have stated, the Jet Squelcher is the longest-ranged shooter in Splatoon and the Splattershot Pro variants only lack about 8 more points in range, meaning the range is still pretty strong for shooters. The only things standing in your way are Splatlings and Chargers. When facing a charger, try to approach them within your range but try to be as far away as possible whilst still being able to shoot and kill them within 4 shots. If you are far enough from the charger, they will have to take a longer time to charge which is especially detrimental nowadays due to the 20% decrease in non-fully charged shots from E-Liters and Splat Chargers. When approaching though, it essentially needs to be a sudden attack on them, not something the charger and foresee as they may snipe you before you even get the kill off. If you think a charger is about to snipe you? Move right or left a bit so you mess up their aim. I wouldn't always get too close to chargers, but with the Jet Squelcher, you can definitely pick them off quite easily if executed properly.

Splatlings are another story. You outrange the Mini Splatling by quite a bit with both the Splattershot Pro and Jet Squelcher variants, but Heavy Splatlings share the same range as you and Hydra Splatlings out range you. You REALLY need to be sneaky around splatlings as they have fast fire rates once they have charged their weapon and have a lot of Run Speed Up stacked to make it harder for you to target them. Your best bet is staying away from Splatlings, but once in a while a sneaky approach is always rewarding.

Hoenn007

Full Squid
NNID
JTMSPEED89
Thanks for the advice. Hopefully my Rank goes up since I am in a slump right now (Triple Rank Down).

Pandachan

Inkling
NNID
RELDA790
I've been having the same problem with ranking down. Lately, I've been stuck at B/B+. It's very frustrating.

fuchsia

Full Squid
NNID
fuchsiaplays
if it's chargers, honestly the best way to understand how to evade and splat a charger is to... play charger. i understood them so much more once i switched to chargers, and that's definitely carried over into the other weapons i play. [like, don't jump up and down when trying to evade a charger's shot, and don't be predictable in your strafing. that makes it easier for us to get a kill.] be able to recognize charger variants, so you know which ones have bombs as a sub and which ones have support subs. if you get close to an e-liter with burst bombs but they know you're there, they're just waiting to take you out with their bombs instead of having to charge a full shot. we're not as unaware of things going around us as some people think. even with a scope, i'm constantly checking my surroundings.

that said, you don't need range to rank up, or even to take out chargers. a jet squelcher has great range but is useless if you're not good with it [i'm not]. stick with what you're good at and adapt with it. there's something to be said for knowing how every weapon works, but there's also benefit in not hoping around too much if your goal is just rank. aside from chargers, i play octobrush and tri-slosher, which both have pretty short range, but i can take out chargers with them if i'm smart enough.

blu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
blu_64
I ranked down pretty bad recently over a bad rotation That I foolishly forced. Then I went further down via regular tilt on a rotation I should be good at. I'm gonna have to really assess my play so I don't go back to the phantom zone that is B+ :(

I've been having the same problem with ranking down. Lately, I've been stuck at B/B+. It's very frustrating.
I feel your pain. B+ is rough... Hang in there; I got out on one of the more unlikely rotations with pirahna pit, but I wouldn't recommend just trying out every map your not good on. Also try out different weapons you are pretty decent in. I was kinda stubborn with my Jr., but when I switched to a neo sploosh I was able to ride the wave out of B+ rank. I was also a little cautious in not being too aggressive during splat zones. If you are too aggressive, it can really hurt you during splat zone battles. I make this mistake quite often, but usually out of a need to shift momentum. It doesn't always work out, and especially wouldn't chance it if you are on the verge of ranking up.

Last edited:

Pandachan

Inkling
NNID
RELDA790
I actually did a lot better today. I switched to using a berry splattershot pro, and I've found that it works really well for me, and I've managed to get to a 65 in the B+ range, which I've never been able to do before. I won more battles than I usually do today.

EBJustin

Full Squid
NNID
EBJustin
I actually did a lot better today. I switched to using a berry splattershot pro, and I've found that it works really well for me, and I've managed to get to a 65 in the B+ range, which I've never been able to do before. I won more battles than I usually do today.
Yeah, the Berry Splattershot Pro is a pretty good all-around weapon. You might want to consider using some ink efficiency on your gear as the Splattershot Pro variants lose ink rather quickly.

Hoenn007

Full Squid
NNID
JTMSPEED89
It looks like you guys are finding new or Adjusting old tactics. I went from a very offensive player to a support/ Defensive Player, and I am to a 86 in the A+ range.

Main Weapons: :wst_shot_long00: for Tower Control, :wst_shot_expert00::wst_shot_expert01: (Berry Splattershot Pro) for Splat Zones

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom