• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Contest: Make the Low Ink Map Pool

Popgun

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-1616-2909-8098
Making map pools for tourneys in Splatoon 3 really sucks. Yeah sting ray in Splatoon 2 made RM frustrating, but now you got soda on TC. In Splatoon 2, TC Shipyard was a staple in map pools, you would get zero complaints about it except for those weirdos who wanted moray. But in Splatoon 3, TC Shipyard is seen as too snowbally.

To account for this, map pools started shrinking in Splatoon 3. Proving Grounds was one of the first tourneys to go with only 4 maps per mode for a total of 16 (4/16). InkTV took it a step farther with a 3/12 map pool. Low Ink took awhile, but I've managed to get it down to a comfy 5/20 which I think is fair considering it is a 2 day tourney with counter picks. Now you see a lot more tourneys starting to do the same, smaller pools focusing on just the "best" maps. The trick to make sure players don't complain about maps feeling too repetitive is to limit maps from appearing in more than 2 modes. Yes you could use Hagglefish, Museum, Mako, and Academy for 3 or some in all 4 modes, but limiting them to just 2 helps the players feel like things are more diverse despite the smaller map pool.

The problem is TC and RM suck. It's almost impossible to find more than 3 maps in those modes that everyone will agree on. I always joke about how teams constantly counter pick TC Academy, but really there aren't many alternatives if you want to play TC.

So here is a challenge to you, squidboard person. Make a tourney map pool and post it below. Rules are:
~ must include 5 maps for all 4 modes, 5/20
~ cannot repeat any map in more than 2 modes
~ cannot use any map that a top level player has tweeted about in a negative way (if you missed a tweet then you officially suck as a TO, I don't make the rules)

Best map pool will be used in Low Ink for February.

NecoConeco

Semi-Pro Squid
~ cannot use any map that a top level player has tweeted about in a negative way (if you missed a tweet then you officially suck as a TO, I don't make the rules)
Challenge level: impossible

8bitfusion

Inkster Jr.
NNID
8bitfusion
Ok chat let's make the map pool 1 letter at a time. I'll start.

W

liligravybread

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-0704-7291-1041
third point irrelevant; twitter doesn’t exist here

zones: hagglefish, mahi, mako, um’ami, robo
tc: hagglefish, inkblot, mako, manta, shipshape (there’s not really much choice)
rm: scorch, undertow, museum, humpback, crableg
clams: scorch, museum, inkblot, crableg, robo

wait did you want me to use the ipl maps editor website thingy for this?

NecoConeco

Semi-Pro Squid
Zones:
Barnacle & Dime
Robo ROM-en
Umami Ruins
Scorch Gorge
Bluefin Depot

Tower Control:
Undertow Spillway
Hagglefish Market
Barnacle & Dime
Shipshape Cargo Co.
Bluefin Depot

Rainmaker:
Scorch Gorge
Undertow Spillway
Hagglefish Market
Manta Maria
Hammerhead Bridge

Clams:
Robo ROM-en
Shipshape Cargo Co.
Umami Ruins
Manta Maria
Mincemeat Metalworks

Drewmar

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-2339-2967-8677
Zones: Ramen, Mahi, Mako, Umami, Barnacle
Tower Control: Inkblot, Mako, Hagglefish, Manta, Shipshape
Rainmaker: Crableg, Scorch, Undertow, Mincemeat, Museum
Clam Blitz: Museum, Mincemeat, Inkblot, Mahi, Crableg

Top level player complained about OLD Mincemeat so its valid

liligravybread

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-0704-7291-1041
Here's my hat in the ring! Like you said, TC and RM are really hard to pick for...

View attachment 8688

Also, like @liligravybread said, Twitter doesn't exist here, so if you don't agree with one of these maps then please tell me why!
undertow tc underrated choice imo i’d like to see that, but im curious if it ever feels like ‘slow rainmaker’ (or budget rainmaker?) due to the tower path highlighting similar areas ppl tend to take the rainmaker to 🤔

CookieOCE

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-2368-4461-2517
undertow tc underrated choice imo i’d like to see that, but im curious if it ever feels like ‘slow rainmaker’ (or budget rainmaker?) due to the tower path highlighting similar areas ppl tend to take the rainmaker to 🤔
TC is already just slow rainmaker, but IMO the difference between the modes on Undertow is that more of the team's resources have to go towards attacking or defending the middle slice of the map, as opposed to just the far sides. You also don't have the option to gun it to the right side on TC if you get a good wipe. I think the difference in strategy is enough to warrant them both being in!

1706682821055.png

liligravybread

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-0704-7291-1041
TC is already just slow rainmaker, but IMO the difference between the modes on Undertow is that more of the team's resources have to go towards attacking or defending the middle slice of the map, as opposed to just the far sides. You also don't have the option to gun it to the right side on TC if you get a good wipe. I think the difference in strategy is enough to warrant them both being in!

View attachment 8691
i like that!!! and thanks for the graphics as well, i think it also would test a team on defence regarding how well they play defending a push around their right side of the map, plus a flank option on the tower as it goes through there with cover through mid in a different way than how rainmaker would play out.

theperson100

Inkling
NNID
zssssx
Zones: Mako, Shipshape, Barnacle, Museum, Rom-en
Tower: Inkblot, Haggle, Manta, Shipshape, Eeltail
Rain: Scorch, Undertow, Humpback, Crableg, Manta
Clams: Eeltail, Mako, Mincemeat, Museum, Barnacle

That was an easy one

BlueDJ

Inkling
Making map pools for tourneys in Splatoon 3 really sucks. Yeah sting ray in Splatoon 2 made RM frustrating, but now you got soda on TC. In Splatoon 2, TC Shipyard was a staple in map pools, you would get zero complaints about it except for those weirdos who wanted moray. But in Splatoon 3, TC Shipyard is seen as too snowbally.

To account for this, map pools started shrinking in Splatoon 3. Proving Grounds was one of the first tourneys to go with only 4 maps per mode for a total of 16 (4/16). InkTV took it a step farther with a 3/12 map pool. Low Ink took awhile, but I've managed to get it down to a comfy 5/20 which I think is fair considering it is a 2 day tourney with counter picks. Now you see a lot more tourneys starting to do the same, smaller pools focusing on just the "best" maps. The trick to make sure players don't complain about maps feeling too repetitive is to limit maps from appearing in more than 2 modes. Yes you could use Hagglefish, Museum, Mako, and Academy for 3 or some in all 4 modes, but limiting them to just 2 helps the players feel like things are more diverse despite the smaller map pool.

The problem is TC and RM suck. It's almost impossible to find more than 3 maps in those modes that everyone will agree on. I always joke about how teams constantly counter pick TC Academy, but really there aren't many alternatives if you want to play TC.

So here is a challenge to you, squidboard person. Make a tourney map pool and post it below. Rules are:

Betttt
IMG_2805.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom