Contest: Make the Low Ink Map Pool

liligravybread

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-0704-7291-1041
well i mean, if you mean map-modes, ig the idea is to evenly distribute the maps by like, making every set run either clams or zones twice in a bo5, and in a bo3 every set has clams and zones.
how does this work for day 1? i don’t think i understand how to create an even distribution of map modes that is fair and also avoids repetition or unbalanced favouring of certain maps or modes with a 5/3/3/5 pool when it comes to low ink’s format there.

if its 12 matches in total i can see how you could just not include two each of zones and clams but im struggling to even out 18 total matches.

WaffleUser

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-5002-5640-0256
i tried to go by what i didn't hate to play on and like this still kinda sucks but whatever and to bypass the top player complaint rule i will simply not consider any of the complaining players top players

Attachments

WaffleUser

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-5002-5640-0256
Can't decide between manta or inkblot clams so if thats holding the list back for some reason i'd change

TBob408

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-5648-5506-6493
how does this work for day 1? i don’t think i understand how to create an even distribution of map modes that is fair and also avoids repetition or unbalanced favouring of certain maps or modes with a 5/3/3/5 pool when it comes to low ink’s format there.

if its 12 matches in total i can see how you could just not include two each of zones and clams but im struggling to even out 18 total matches.
low ink day 1 has never played every map, and as a TO for SOS, we at ipl dont *generally* care about repeating maps unless its in the same set

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
View attachment 8859

I'm sure some top level player has had something to say about Umami Zones, and I know some have about Mako Rain, so I'll have to apologize for not being better than IPL staff at what they've been doing for years.
I genuinely think Inkblot Tower and Shipshape Zones are the only two here that I felt I had to include only to pad out the number of maps, the rest of these I'd defend as genuine good choices.
This is pretty much exactly what I would pick so pretend I'm posting this as my own completely original idea

SnowySprig

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-0314-4656-5125
this is a good challenge! i dont use twitter much (yes i would make a bad TO, but i have massive respect for the craft), and decided to make 2 versions of this: one that follows the directions the best i could (top), and the other where i took only my own opinions of maps into account, just for fun (below). in my actual answer, i took a lot from what i see in other maplists, especially when it comes to filling in the gaps to reach 5 maps per mode--i definitely couldnt defend some of the picks, but others are popular enough for me to see why. in my personal answer, i could definitely give reasons as to all of my picks

1706845878162.png
1706845897981.png

samaya

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-2437-6092-3911
Making map pools for tourneys in Splatoon 3 really sucks. Yeah sting ray in Splatoon 2 made RM frustrating, but now you got soda on TC. In Splatoon 2, TC Shipyard was a staple in map pools, you would get zero complaints about it except for those weirdos who wanted moray. But in Splatoon 3, TC Shipyard is seen as too snowbally.

To account for this, map pools started shrinking in Splatoon 3. Proving Grounds was one of the first tourneys to go with only 4 maps per mode for a total of 16 (4/16). InkTV took it a step farther with a 3/12 map pool. Low Ink took awhile, but I've managed to get it down to a comfy 5/20 which I think is fair considering it is a 2 day tourney with counter picks. Now you see a lot more tourneys starting to do the same, smaller pools focusing on just the "best" maps. The trick to make sure players don't complain about maps feeling too repetitive is to limit maps from appearing in more than 2 modes. Yes you could use Hagglefish, Museum, Mako, and Academy for 3 or some in all 4 modes, but limiting them to just 2 helps the players feel like things are more diverse despite the smaller map pool.

The problem is TC and RM suck. It's almost impossible to find more than 3 maps in those modes that everyone will agree on. I always joke about how teams constantly counter pick TC Academy, but really there aren't many alternatives if you want to play TC.

So here is a challenge to you, squidboard person. Make a tourney map pool and post it below. Rules are:
~ must include 5 maps for all 4 modes, 5/20
~ cannot repeat any map in more than 2 modes
~ cannot use any map that a top level player has tweeted about in a negative way (if you missed a tweet then you officially suck as a TO, I don't make the rules)

Best map pool will be used in Low Ink for February.

they have their own map list thingy?? thats neat! ^.^

Alphine_Agnitio

Trans Bird Trans Bird 🏳‍⚧️
Switch Friend Code
SW-5178-8280-0912
they have their own map list thingy?? thats neat! ^.^
its standard practice for all tournaments to have a legal map pool, because lets be real, nobody wants to play on something like Eeltail or Hammerhead Clams in general, let alone in a organized setting

for gimmick tournaments as well having a definied mappool is helpful because it allows teams to focus practice on specific problem maps they might be struggling with

☆Oblivion☆

Senior Squid
Pronouns
She/Her
NNID
Oblivion_spl
Switch Friend Code
SW-8277-3410-3718
I see what you mean so I put this together.
map-iplabs-ink-pool.png

Last edited:

Starlotic

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-8168-3908-5391
Going under the same rule that @liligravybread & @CookieOCE mentioned. Twitter doesn't exist here. And if there's something in my list you don't agree with, don't be afraid to explain why and if you want to, feel free to go into as much detail as you want since I'm always curious about what others think about certain Maps or Map/Modes.

Attachments

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom