• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Crazy tactics

correojon

Pro Squid
NNID
correojon
I´d like for us to share some crazy tactics, those that aren´t evident at the beginning but that can result in great advantages for your team. Here´s a few:

The long walk: This is specially useful against chargers that are perched in one place. Try to approach them in your own ink but without revealing your intentions and then make the rest of the way by foot, walking over enemy ink (ink resistance up is required for this) or unpainted areas. The idea is to get him from behind, but as you´re not shooting or painting anything, he can´t see you on the map or hear your shots. Kill him from behind, take his place and give his teammates a splatting surprise. Works wonders in the Mall (you can paint the long corridor on your left and walk from there) and the Rig (go through the lower paths to reach the enemy side, you can paint everything up to the enemy base). The less you paint the better, as it will take you more time to reach the target but it´s much less likely for someone to notice you. Works sometimes in the Warehouse too. Doesn´t work nicely in the Harbor, Underpass and Skatepark.
Don´t go crazy on this, you need to choose the correct moment for this technique, it usually fails at the start of battles as everyone is spread out and moving around, but as everyone starts setting on their preferred zones and paths it´s much easier to locate a target and find a safe way there. Remember you are extremely vulnerable while walking on unfriendly ground. Bonus points: once killed the target will become paranoid and start shooting less, constantly checking if you are going to come unseen from behind again (you should not, but he doesn´t know that). To enforce this side effect it´s better to kill him from very close range, so he can see when his camera focuses on you that you were able to walk up next to him without him noticing.

Sprinkler shenanigans: use your sprinkler imaginatively. You can set it near a ledge just to obscure the enemy´s vision, place it in moving objects (Rig and Harbor), up in the ceiling (Underpass)...You can use it to cover your back in a corridor, so you will hear the enemy shooting at it and be alerted of their presence. You can also use it locate enemies hidden by terrain, throw it and watch where their shots come from. It´s funny to put it in places where the enemy can´t see it but can see the shots, it will usually make them think it´s another player actually making the shots (this is a great way to lead an enemy to a location of your choosing where you can easily take him out). Even if they don´t fall for it the will take some time looking around expecting for the owner to pop up and attack, while you can be anywhere else getting points.
Use it as a weapon: people tend to forget that it´s ink can kill you, so it´s a nice way of dealing with someone around a corner when both of you know there´s someone on the other side. He may doubt to destroy it thinking that you´ll take the chance to pop up around the corner and attack, so it can do some damage. When he destroys it, you can throw another one. Getting a kill with the sprinkler is sooo satisfactory :)

What crazy tactics do you use?

halpenstance

Inkling
Recently got the Dynamo Roller, and I have really been upset with the Sprinkler sub. I feel like it has absolutely no place on a kit that both requires lots of ink for the main weapon, and who's entire job is laying down paint.
That being said, your suggestions on using the Sprinkler might help out with that. Even getting a little use out of it is better than none at all. Thanks for that!

correojon

Pro Squid
NNID
correojon
If you have sprinkler as sub, you should make sure you always have one sprinkler working on unpainted terrain. This is useful both in Turf Wars (to rack more points) and in Splat Zones (to fill your special gauge faster). In my opinion it´s one of the best subs in the games and the one with most versatility.

Just throw it somewhere, dive into ink to refill and go your way while the sprinkler does it´s thing. I think it´s a good complement for a roller who´s always on the move: reach a safe spot, throw one, refill and continue. When you reach another safe area the first may have finished it´s work, so throw another and repeat. With the charger using sprinklers correctly is the key to get 1000+ points, with a roller your score could skyrocket.

LancerStaff

Inkling Cadet
Well, I have a friend that puts down beakons and uses them as shields. And it somehow works...

I like using mines as a surveillance system, like the sprinkler thing. Although I have to go back to replace them periodically...

correojon

Pro Squid
NNID
correojon
Wow, both those uses are brilliant. The beacon surveillance system is a very good idea, you can set 3 of them and watch them with the map, with the sprinkler you need to pay more attention to see if someone is coming and you only have one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom