Custom E-Liter 3K Scope: Analysis and Thoughts

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
The mobility change isn't really that bad, and in return you get longer range and a peeking advantage, as well as potentially more accuracy. You don't need to compensate with walk speed, swim speed ink recovery and special charge up are more appreciated (and tenacity). The scope, unless you are completely incapable of playing with it, is generally a better choice.
Thanks! Yeah, I'm definitely capable of playing the scope - when I used to sit with a full charge it was a severe hindrance, but once I started charge-on-aim (and staying under ink otherwise) they really shoot the same to me, no real "tunnel vision" problems. Each has its tradeoffs, but they're mostly a wash to me. I'll say that there are some days (or maps?) that for whatever reason the scope does seem to not click for me, but that's not the normal for me, my k/d remains generally the same either way.

I hadn't thought of tenacity, that's one to consider. I've been focusing on quick super jump 1 main or 2 mains undecided, but I love bouncing between beacons with this. I do have swim speed main and 3-5 ink recovery subs. Spc charge up or tenacity would be a a good one, though I'm no sure I have one of either with a good choice of subs. I'm also still decided on whether to prioritize the special or damage up - I find without sufficient damage up there's enough quick shots that are in-range but not to ohko power where I get the hit but not the kill to make me feel I do still need a dmg up focus for a main (or at least 3 subs. I think I have 2 subs only now which doesn't seem to be enough to get all the snap shots I attempt.)

One gear piece is a must:
Hat: Straw boater - :ability_quicksuperjump:, :ability_inkrecovery::ability_defenseup::ability_inkrecovery:

The shirt and shoes need to be selected as a combination:
I have a few shoes to decide: Snowy boots: :ability_quicksuperjump:, :ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery: or black seashorses :ability_swimspeed:,:ability_damage::ability_inkrecovery::ability_quicksuperjump:, or plum casuals :ability_damage:,:ability_specialcharge::ability_damage::ability_inksavermain:
Shirts: tons of possibilities, a few ok cold blooded options, but if going for pure abilities, there's :ability_damage:,:ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_inkrecovery: ; :ability_damage:,:ability_specialcharge::ability_specialduration::ability_inksaversub:, I think my :ability_swimspeed:shirts all waste a slot on :ability_specialsaver: which I hate to waste a sub on with this weapon. If things are going so bad I'm getting splatted enough for it to matter, then things are probably so bad that beacons are no longer of value either. I think one wastes it on :ability_bombrange:. I might have one :ability_swimspeed: shirt that's ok, but I can't remember what it has on it. I have a few decent :ability_coldblooded:, :ability_inksavermain: or :ability_defenseup:main shirts too with subs I can't remember and a good :ability_inkrecovery:but I already have enough subs. Balancing the :ability_damage:,:ability_swimspeed:,:ability_quicksuperjump: is probably the biggest balancing act here.

tazz

Inkster Jr.
You don't have enough damage up; you need the equivalent of 3 mains at least. Quick super jump really isn't good on the custom e liter; the beacons are more for your teammates and you're better off running things that make your kraken stronger and more frequent, like swim speed up tenacity and special charge up.

Award

You don't have enough damage up; you need the equivalent of 3 mains at least. Quick super jump really isn't good on the custom e liter; the beacons are more for your teammates and you're better off running things that make your kraken stronger and more frequent, like swim speed up tenacity and special charge up.
Hmm, fair advice. The way I play it I definitely need at least the on SJ up, but you may have successfully dissuaded me from adding another and to at least slot that for damage up. Without burst bombs I don't feel the need for as much damage up as I ran for stock eliter, but I do need more than I've been running. The beacons I do largely use for myself, and I've definitely become quite used to using them that way - they're very powerful for instantly falling back to a secondary fortification (somewhat map dependent, it doesn't work on skatepark for example), or keeping watch from both sides of a map. Especially with the quick SJ,s I'll also be much more prone to go down to ground floor when I see a shot, or momentarily assist a push since I know I can get right back up with little risk. With two SJ I can jump out right in plain view of the enemy - with only one I have to be sure to take cover first.
The snowy boots would be a good bet, but then I'm limited in suitable headwear - I'm likely to keep the strawboater which takes care of most of the ink recovery. So then I need to figure out a good combination of shoes/shirt. If I go for all that damage up, it leaves very little room for special charge/swim speed. My "all dmg up" gear I used for vanilla eliter were (:head_hbd002:|:ability_damage:,:ability_damage::ability_unknown::ability_specialsaver:)(:clothes_tly007:|:ability_damage:,:ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_inkrecovery:)(:shoes_cfs001:|:ability_damage:,:ability_specialcharge::ability_damage::ability_inksavermain:)

I don't have much in the way of perfect sets (I haven't done rerolls, just unlocking slots on everything I can when I get a chance to just use scrubby gear.)

That set compliments vanilla eliters fine, but it's just not quite the right set, IMO for custom. QSJ is important for my playstyle with it (at least on many maps), but I'd hate to neglect swim speed and/or spc charge/duration/tenacity either.

Award

I'm starting to think the scope is a little map dependent. I did great with it yesterday on whatever rotation it was. Did great today on Moray and Ancho-V. Then Kelp Dome and Depot came in. I think it can go either way on Dept, but scopelss might be an advantage on the angles there. Kelp dome, IMO the scope HAS to go. It is very ineffective shooting through grates with it as it changes the perspective too sharply, and the DoF compression is a hindrance. Same shooting from the grates atop the rotating walls on Museum. Scopeless is fine, but scope loses DoF precision shooting down from the grates and is best kept to the floor and wall portions. I think I'll have to keep both versions in my kit, somewhat unfortunately.

Still figuring out how exactly to set up my kit though.

Skoodge

Brella Aficionado
Switch Friend Code
SW-2149-6955-3787
Over the last two months I have noticed a huge increase in the use of the Custom over the vanilla E-Liter. I prefer the scope, so I am posting here. This weapon has become a main of mine over the past month or so. It is just really cohesive to my play style, which focuses on support, and defensive vantage, and moving when we have advantage. The kraken has helped me to win so many games, since it is such a versatile tool, pushing towers, and helping the Rainmaker, or just helping yourself in bad situations. I personally think that it can be better than the vanilla, but I know many are cemented to those burst bombs.

It is also interesting to note that in this thread, http://squidboards.com/threads/dev-of-a-squidboards-weapon-tier-list-march-testing-period.22929/, based upon Tournament results, has the Custom E-Liter Scope, above the normal E-Liter Scope. So why do you guys think this shift is occurring? After many initially claimed that the Custom was just plain out inferior. I personally think it is the Kraken+Beakon teamwork capability, which are beneficial in both TC and RM, but SZ is not really affected too much from the kits of the Custom or vanilla.

Award

Over the last two months I have noticed a huge increase in the use of the Custom over the vanilla E-Liter. I prefer the scope, so I am posting here. This weapon has become a main of mine over the past month or so. It is just really cohesive to my play style, which focuses on support, and defensive vantage, and moving when we have advantage. The kraken has helped me to win so many games, since it is such a versatile tool, pushing towers, and helping the Rainmaker, or just helping yourself in bad situations. I personally think that it can be better than the vanilla, but I know many are cemented to those burst bombs.

It is also interesting to note that in this thread, http://squidboards.com/threads/dev-of-a-squidboards-weapon-tier-list-march-testing-period.22929/, based upon Tournament results, has the Custom E-Liter Scope, above the normal E-Liter Scope. So why do you guys think this shift is occurring? After many initially claimed that the Custom was just plain out inferior. I personally think it is the Kraken+Beakon teamwork capability, which are beneficial in both TC and RM, but SZ is not really affected too much from the kits of the Custom or vanilla.
Since I've started using it I've started seeing it more and more and more as well. Just don't tell HappyBear - she's vanilla scopeless through and through! ;) Personally after a lot of evaluation I've settled on my "main mains" being the Custom Scope, and the Vanilla Scopeless depending on mode and map.

I think everyone really got used to burst bombs as a defensive weapon for good reason, and people got really used to burst bombs as an offensive weapon for abusive/meta reasons. The idea of trading CQC potential for...beacons, something traditionally seen as supportive seemed daft to most at first. A defenseless weapon made more defenseless in exchange for beacons which were seen as redundant as a sniper should already BE a beacon. I don't think too many people thought a lot about beacons used for yourself.

I think, kind of like with rollers, one reason you're seeing the Custom used more and more is that you're mostly seeing them in the hands of Japanese players. It's been noted that regular splat rollers/hero rollers are mostly seen with Japanese players, and even high-level Krak-Ons tend to appear mostly wtih Japanese players (excluding western kids that just roll with them.) I think it's a similar meta here. Most of the Custom users seem to be Japanese, probably due to the high skill floor and less well rounded use. Japanese players seem drawn to that type of challenge, as am I. With a vanilla eliter you have that CQC/defensive ability. With Custom you NEED to learn CQC via the 2-shot with the main gun. That takes massive practice and is still less reliable than the burst bombs. It also causes reduced reliance on dmg up (I run one main one sub and focus on swim speed and quick SJ to utilize beacons.) Not everyone agrees with that though, per my above conversation ;)

Between Japanese players and recognition that a kraken is powerful on TC in particular I think has somewhat renewed it. But it's still is going to remain "popular among serious snipers only" due to the need to use it like a bamboozler for self defense. :) I've been playing Eliter since November, and Custom since December, and only recently have I become very solid at using it at near to mid-range, under-ledge jump-shots, etc. And still I find it catches opponents off-guard when it actually works. It's very difficult to learn to do effectively, BUT once you do learn it it can be possibly more effective than burst bombs.

Still I use burst bomb scopeless on certain map rotations. I go scoped custom for anything TC or TW. I might go scopeless vanilla for Hammerhead Zones where map maneuverability isn't that useful, and especially Mackerel in TC or RM where the "dmg++++ burst bomb main" thing really does pay and beacons have reduced value.

It's no surprise that it's a weapon that fares better in tournaments. A lot of the solo ranked meta weapons are what they are because anyone needs to be able to fill any role or team weakness at any time since you can't rely on your teammates. Tournments and organized squads bring a lot more exotic specialty weapons into the mix because with planned coordination those specialties become a lot more powerful. I find when playing solo the beacons are generally just for me (and I tend to like it.) When I play squad, my teammates tend to make a point of utilizing myself if I'm there, or my beacons if I'm not as jump points and I'm likely to spend more time redeploying beacons since I know they're serving as actual team anchors.

Vanilla is definitely the easier eliter to learn (not to say it's easy though...). But I agree Custom can be the more powerful one (in most maps/modes) if you can really learn to deal with its weaknesses (a tall order). I imagine nearly all Custom users are already vanilla veterans before they start. I really can't imagine anyone STARTING with the Custom. But nothing is more satisfying than going kraken, watching an enemy so confident they escaped the kraken, only to take them out with a double shot at point blank. Seeing "Splatted by Custom E-Liter 3K Scope" on the screen has really got to suck after that ;)

Skoodge

Brella Aficionado
Switch Friend Code
SW-2149-6955-3787
It also causes reduced reliance on dmg up (I run one main one sub and focus on swim speed and quick SJ to utilize beacons.) Not everyone agrees with that though, per my above conversation ;)
I still think you need a lot of damage up, for me anyway, since 3 mains and 2 subs, make you kill in 2 uncharged shots. I run ink recovery up and damage up, so that I can keep firing, and put down beakons quickly. This helps a lot for me, to play a support sniper, who kills the other snipers, puts down paths for teammates, and helps push objectives.

I am always interested in the comparison between the Western and Japanese scenes, and I think this could be part of the change, since the Japanese experiment more often, and discover unique things that the Western scene doesn't seem to pick up on as quickly.

I imagine nearly all Custom users are already vanilla veterans before they start. I really can't imagine anyone STARTING with the Custom.
I almost start on the Custom, since I mainly played Kelp Splatterscope, then a little E-Liter Scope, went to splatlings for a long time, now I am coming back to chargers, and mainly the Custom E-Liter Scope. I have gotten about 250k inked with it on my new main account in the past 2-3 weeks or so, and I just play worse with the vanilla, I just don't feel comfortable with it. The kraken helps me so frequently, I make most of shots now, working on peeking/snapping, so burst bombs don't fit in, since the kraken is when someone would kill me even if I had burst bombs. It is only annoying getting up walls, but I try not to play too much of a perch sniper anyway.

I actually use the double shot to kill Rainmakers a lot, and that even works on S+ players!

TheReflexWonder

Inkster Jr.
NNID
TheReflexWonder
With the Haunt buffs and the ubiquity of Cold-Blooded, Echolocator may not be as valuable as an especially-keen eye, while Kraken doesn't really get less effective as general skill increases. While Beakons generally don't do much but get you in a favorable position a few seconds faster, Burst Bombs are somewhat overrated as a close-quarters tactic (though still quite versatile and a great sub in their own right), and so the Custom Scope often finds itself pulling more weight with a greater reward, I think. I see it as having more potential than the vanilla E-Liter Scope, though that's still a top tier weapon in its own right.

Kraken master race. :p

Award

I still think you need a lot of damage up, for me anyway, since 3 mains and 2 subs, make you kill in 2 uncharged shots. I run ink recovery up and damage up, so that I can keep firing, and put down beakons quickly. This helps a lot for me, to play a support sniper, who kills the other snipers, puts down paths for teammates, and helps push objectives.
I'm pretty sure 2 shots always kill with 1 dmg up and 1 sub that I run....I think even just the 1 main does it. Not fully UNCHARGED though...ZR spamming I think still takes 3. But even with a very minimal charge like bamboozler times, it should work. If' I've already fallen back so far that I need to ZR spam, I'm probably best off on the spawn anyway. :p

If I'm going "burst bomb main" I'll load up on the dmg up - but for Custom the allowable kit is far more interesting, and while there are shots that I'll wish I had more dmg up, they're fairly infrequent. Giving up my swim speed and quick jump would make me less mobile!

I am always interested in the comparison between the Western and Japanese scenes, and I think this could be part of the change, since the Japanese experiment more often, and discover unique things that the Western scene doesn't seem to pick up on as quickly.
They do. I'm not sure how that works, if it's just the online community there being more interested in techniques, or what, but it seems to be that way. Most of the things I've learned I've learned in TW from Japanese players for most of my weapons. :)

I almost start on the Custom, since I mainly played Kelp Splatterscope, then a little E-Liter Scope, went to splatlings for a long time, now I am coming back to chargers, and mainly the Custom E-Liter Scope. I have gotten about 250k inked with it on my new main account in the past 2-3 weeks or so, and I just play worse with the vanilla, I just don't feel comfortable with it. The kraken helps me so frequently, I make most of shots now, working on peeking/snapping, so burst bombs don't fit in, since the kraken is when someone would kill me even if I had burst bombs. It is only annoying getting up walls, but I try not to play too much of a perch sniper anyway.

I actually use the double shot to kill Rainmakers a lot, and that even works on S+ players!
I kind of alternate between perch sniping and mobile sniping. it depends on map and mode a lot. Maps like Depot, Arowanna, Moray keep you so busy on the perch I often never make it down to the ground. Maps like Kelp Dome - WHAT perch? :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom