• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Custom jet Squelcher [ Gear & Advice Needed ]

Admiral Ackbar

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ILYAdmiralAckbar
My current main is the Krak-On Splat Roller and I've been dipping my toes into the waters of the Custom Jet Squelcher recently. The Krak-On Roller will ALWAYS be my main on most maps and modes, but it lacks potential on certain games like Camp Triggerfish with Splatzones. I want a secondary weapon that I feel confident with for competitive play.

I want to know is:
A. What abilities work well with the Custom Jet Squelcher
B. What tactics and or play styles work well with using this weapon

I am well aware with how and when to use the Kraken Ability because I've mained the Krak-On Splat Roller for months now. I am curious how you all use this weapon and I will take any and all advice! Thank you!

ultra777

Full Squid
NNID
crazydragon1000
The CJS in my opinion is a great weapon. It has the second highest range for a shooter (Hydra) and abuse your range. Burst bombs are great for close range and Kraken, well everyone knows how good it is. Run damage up, (So that when you get a direct hit with a burst bomb it takes a single shot to kill) ink saver main, and anything that help your Kraken. (I prefer special saver personally) Play this weapon like a sniper and abuse your range. If any one is in close quarters then add some burst bombs for easier close range kills. I love this weapon the most in Tower Control since it has Kraken, I can attack the tower from far away or attack people from a distance when I'm on the tower, (Most of the time) and burst bombs for when I'm on the tower and the enemies are trying to take me out. That's all from me.

Nucleose

Inkster Jr.
NNID
KingNucleose
CSJ is fantastic with either recovery or some main savers as you'll be firing quite a bit, and recovery especially helps with burst bomb scuffles/escapes. Personally I just run straight damage/recovery like a charger would because you're basically the closest thing to a charger the shooter class has. I'd still run cold blooded but I'd say ink resistance can be forgone on this one. You could also opt for ink saver sub, but I really think you'll get the most mileage out of recovery. Attack is also good because Jet Squelcher really gets a lot out of it between having a low overall damage weapon and burst bombs.

As for general CSJ stuff, I find that for some reason I have greater trouble carrying/helping a team with this gun than a 52 even though I do better with the CSJ overall in terms of staying alive and doing my job. In general that is what you want to do with this, though this might take a lot of getting used too since it's much more intensive on your aim than the roller is. Between your range, bombs, and Kraken you have options for every situation so be ready to switch gears at all times. Take great advantage of your range because you'll win most fire fights against other regular shooters if you know they're coming. A lot of people say this is a gun that'll only ever be as good as you are so if it's causing any trouble try to build aim practice with a gal or tentatek and go back to this later.

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
Ink Recovery, Damage Up are the main focus of the CSJ. Imo, do not exceed 1 dmg main+1dmg sub though.

For remaining slots, go Swim speed works very very well as it helps with strafing, getting back in battle, and Kraken. If you have space for more abilities I would mess around with Special Saver, Special Charge Up, Bomb Range Up.

How to play the CSJ?

CSJ is fantastic with either recovery or some main savers as you'll be firing quite a bit, and recovery especially helps with burst bomb scuffles/escapes. Personally I just run straight damage/recovery like a charger would because you're basically the closest thing to a charger the shooter class has. I'd still run cold blooded but I'd say ink resistance can be forgone on this one. You could also opt for ink saver sub, but I really think you'll get the most mileage out of recovery. Attack is also good because Jet Squelcher really gets a lot out of it between having a low overall damage weapon and burst bombs.

As for general CSJ stuff, I find that for some reason I have greater trouble carrying/helping a team with this gun than a 52 even though I do better with the CSJ overall in terms of staying alive and doing my job. In general that is what you want to do with this, though this might take a lot of getting used too since it's much more intensive on your aim than the roller is. Between your range, bombs, and Kraken you have options for every situation so be ready to switch gears at all times. Take great advantage of your range because you'll win most fire fights against other regular shooters if you know they're coming. A lot of people say this is a gun that'll only ever be as good as you are so if it's causing any trouble try to build aim practice with a gal or tentatek and go back to this later.
IMO, its hard to carry in solo rank unless its on a map that the CSJ is OP on. You need a good/balance team imo to take advantage of the weapons full potential.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Know your range. Everyone knows it's got great range, but you really need to know exactly how much space you have to work with. The only way to do this is to practice. Recon on maps where good camping spots are (opposing snipe in Hammerhead, snipe in Blackbelly, etc.) so that you know where you can hit people as they approach. You will hardly ever want to rush into the fray; find a good camping spot and defend a point. Sometimes you'll get a ton of splats because people just can't approach you. Other times you'll land 2-3 hits and your team will finish them off. While you may not have a great K/D, you would still be doing your job.

Staying alive is very important, so remember your range and retreat when necessary. Be patient.

As for gear, like others have said: damage up and ink recovery. I also run an ink saver main hat and ink resistance shoes (I always run them) with a dash of swim speed. I can fire for days and when I do run out I refill very quick. When I can, I will try to add more swim speed because of kraken (I missed easy splats today because they saw me coming slowly).

I just spent the last 2 hours playing the CJS and had many 6+/0 games (turf war). The gun is a beast when you are patient and find a good camping spot.

Nucleose

Inkster Jr.
NNID
KingNucleose
The gun is a beast when you are patient and find a good camping spot.
I just want to zoom in on this. Hopefully you should already know this from using Roller OP, but patience is the most important part of being successful with this weapon. (patience is a good general rule, but you can't afford to lose it with this one as opposed to something more focused on brawling)

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Ink Recovery, Damage Up are the main focus of the CSJ. Imo, do not exceed 1 dmg main+1dmg sub though.
I say anything with Burst Bombs should use atleast 6 subs so 2 near hits and 1 far hit can also kill, though for the CJS you may aswell use 2 mains so it can still deal 99.9 damage with 3 shots against a defense up main. Also I don't think Ink Recovery is really needed, as burst bombs are the most ink efficient sub, and the Jet Squelcher's ink efficiency is decent enough especially after the buff, but of course it's all preference. Though I must say that Special Saver main is extremely recommended in addition to damage ups, but other than that you can use whatever you want really. I've opted to using nothing but swim speed in my remaining slots so I can go supa fast be it while kiting with the squelcher, rushing down with burst bombs, or picking off foes with the Kraken.

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
I say anything with Burst Bombs should use atleast 6 subs so 2 near hits and 1 far hit can also kill, though for the CJS you may aswell use 2 mains so it can still deal 99.9 damage with 3 shots against a defense up main. Also I don't think Ink Recovery is really needed, as burst bombs are the most ink efficient sub, and the Jet Squelcher's ink efficiency is decent enough especially after the buff, but of course it's all preference. Though I must say that Special Saver main is extremely recommended in addition to damage ups, but other than that you can use whatever you want really. I've opted to using nothing but swim speed in my remaining slots so I can go supa fast be it while kiting with the squelcher, rushing down with burst bombs, or picking off foes with the Kraken.
I played around with burst bombs by adding the 2 extra damage up subs and stood in specific spots to test wheter it was worth. The extra two subs doesn't change the majority of the burst bomb outcomes for indirect/direct. If I am mistaken, which is possible, please give me the number values you are getting so I can retest. But that withstanding, you would need more than 6 subs or 2 mains to get added benefits from Burstbombs after 1main+1sub. Which is why I dont reccomend it.

1 main+1 sub also does over 90 damage which means that in quite a few cases you will kill a person wearing a def up main in 3 hits in the same scenario you would kill a person wearing no def up. 3 def up wearers are the only ones that would make you want to consider extra damage up.

Last edited:

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
I played around with burst bombs by adding the 2 extra damage up subs and stood in specific spots to test wheter it was worth. The extra two subs doesn't change the majority of the burst bomb outcomes for indirect/direct. If I am mistaken, which is possible, please give me the number values you are getting so I can retest. But that withstanding, you would need more than 6 subs or 2 mains to get added benefits from Burstbombs after 1main+1sub. Which is why I dont reccomend it.

1 main+1 sub also does over 90 damage which means that in quite a few cases you will kill a person wearing a def up main in 3 hits in the same scenario you would kill a person wearing no def up. 3 def up wearers are the only ones that would make you want to consider extra damage up.
Oh snaps you're probably right! I usually have 3x of the same sub on all my gear, thus it's either 3 subs or 6 subs for me, so I wouldn't know about amounts in between. Gonna go check myself.

EDIT: Yup the two extra subs make no difference! Wow thanks for that mate, now I can add even more swim speed! :-D

Last edited:

My dog Rudy

Inkster Jr.
This video explains things pretty well, and there is a preference on how extreme you want to go with damage ups for burst bombs.

Without damage up (and no defense up for the opponent) A direct hit does 60 dmg, close hit does 35 dmg and a near-miss hit does 20 dmg.
2 subs can KO with a direct and a close hit
3 mains and 2 subs can KO with a direct hit and a near miss hit
You see you have a lot of freedom with the amount of damage up you want to equip, especially since you shouldn't treat them as a main weapon. Many people (including me :p) rely too much on burst bombs and panic and forget about their main. You should consider your main weapon's weakness and then think about what burst bombs can do to help, then you should know how much damage up you need.

Edit: for custom jet I think 2 damage up main can make one direct hit and one shot = KO

Last edited:

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I know this is cliché, but it really does come down to playstyle and preference. I use only one main damage up so that I can get 99.9 damage with three hits (against no defense). It means that I need around three burst bombs to splat up close, but once you get used to that and learn situations where you will need to use them then it isn't so bad (admittedly, it took a little while to learn this myself).

As for ink saver main and ink recovery, I stand and shoot A LOT and my aim isn't always amazing (although I have gotten a lot better). Having both less downtime and more ammo means more time to correct aim as well as more ability to pressure opponents. I currently run 5 ink recovery up, but that is more about availability than need. I hope to drop two for more swim speed. However, I can see running less ink efficiency abilities if your aim is awesome and you are on the move a lot. I tend to camp...

EDIT: A word on burst bombs: it took me a lot of practice with burst bombs with other weapons to get decent with burst bombs on the CJS. The vanilla splattershot and carbon roller can use them as a pressuring tool, but the CJS is better at pressuring with its main weapon. Using the neo-splash helped a lot because a burst bomb followed by some shots got the job done quick. If burst bombing is difficult, I'd suggest practicing with the neo-splash because it is a bit more forgiving.

Octoboy07

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-4646-5491-1608
i like to throw burst bombs at opponents and then shoot them with the squelcher for the lack power squelchers have. what being said, bomb damage up can be good and some bomb ink saver.

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
i like to throw burst bombs at opponents and then shoot them with the squelcher for the lack power squelchers have. what being said, bomb damage up can be good and some bomb ink saver.
The term is called burst canceling

Octoboy07

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-4646-5491-1608
how do you make these conversations public

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom