Damage up on Sploosh-o-matic?

boredguy108

Semi-Pro Squid
So I was playing ranked earlier today, and I ran into a Sploosh-o-matic. Since I occasionally use a the Sploosh, I wanted to check out their build. And to my surprise, they were running about 2 mains worth of damage up.

Is there any reason to run damage up on the Sploosh-o-matic?

Here's the complete build, if you want to take a look.

[nest=Members]Me[/nest]

Last edited:

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
nope. there's really no reason to run damage up on it. it does enough damage to a point where you need a lot of defense up to raise the amount of shots needed to kill and even than it still kills pretty quickly. also the link isn't working for me.

boredguy108

Semi-Pro Squid
I edited the link. Can someone check to make sure it works?

But basically, the build is 2 mains of :ability_damage: 2 mains of :ability_quicksuperjump: and a main of:ability_runspeed:, plus a mismatch of other sub abilities.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
0 damage up mains and subs on an inkling with three defense up mains
sploosh 2.jpg

1 damage up sub on an inkling with three defense up mains
sploosh.jpg

three defense up mains or higher can get it to four shot, but this is easily countered with simply one damage up sub. three defense up mains or more is really uncommon, and even than at best, you only need like three subs to counter an uncommon build. you're better off using something more useful like swim/run speed, quick respawn, comeback, quick super jump etc.

Last edited:

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Yeah, one main OR three subs should counter defense builds. Running almost the equivalent of 2 mains seems overkill.
If he wanted to have the quick jump, he's better off with the Golf Visor: zink brand, run speed main.

mm201

Senior Squid
NNID
kaizo201
Anyone with that much Defense Up is handicapping themselves in other significant ways, so I wouldn't worry about countering them in the first place.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Anyone with that much Defense Up is handicapping themselves in other significant ways, so I wouldn't worry about countering them in the first place.
Maybe. I've seen a fair share of .96 deco users that stack defense up to allow them to get another shot off if the opponent closes. It seems pretty meta right now.

MrL1193

Inkling Cadet
Damage Up isn't essential for the Sploosh, but a few subs of the ability wouldn't hurt (though I do consider 1 main and 3 subs to be excessive). As high as the Sploosh's rate of fire may be, its accuracy and range are abysmal, so having to land an extra shot to secure the splat can cause problems.

three defense up mains or more is really uncommon
Correction: It used to be really uncommon. Nowadays, however, Japan seems to have a thing for just that sort of build, particularly if they can pair it with Ink Resistance. As Tim H. mentioned, it's most common on the .96 Gal, but I've seen a few other types of players running Defense Up as well.

I disagree. Defense Up stacking isn't a good strategy for every weapon, but a blanket dismissal of it isn't appropriate either. The .96 Deco in particular tends to get the Defense Up treatment because, as a frontline defender with an amazing defensive sub (the Splash Wall), guaranteed 2HKO capability, and awful strafing speed, the .96 Deco has no need for Damage Up and tends to get less use out of abilities such as Cold Blooded and Run Speed Up than, say, a Tentatek, which is much more reliant on stealth and agility. With Defense Up, the .96 Deco user is less likely to drop Kraken, and can turn what would be trades with Tentateks and .52's into wins.

Now, granted, Defense Up isn't the only way to go with a .96; you could focus on Ink Saver Main or Swim Speed Up instead. However, I definitely feel that Defense Up is one of the go-to options on the .96 Deco if you have the gear for it.

electraheart

Senior Squid
NNID
howalive
The link works, in case you were still wondering.
As everyone else says, there's really no reason for the Sploosh to have damage up. Especially two. The weapon has its own set of problems, but none of them can be solved with any amount of damage ups.

boredguy108

Semi-Pro Squid
Actually, I think there is a reason for using about 2 mains of Damage, even though it's not that great of a reason.

So, you know how at the end of every shot, it starts to arc, and damage drops a bit? With the damage drop off, the Sploosh-o-matic goes from a 3-hit-kill to a 4-hit-kill. Having two mains of Damage Up reverts it back to a 3 hit kill at max range.

In theory, this might look like a solid investment. You're basically maxing out the Sploosh-o-matic's range. But in practice, I don't think it's worth it. At max range, you're going to miss your shots.

And like many of you pointed it out earlier, Run Speed Up or Swim Speed Up would probably be better. Why max out your weapon's range when you can make it easier for yourself closer?

I don't see myself adding Damage Up in my Sploosh build. At least not two mains worth.

MrL1193

Inkling Cadet
I happened to be doing some research on Damage Up and Defense Up last night while going over a build I had made, and I found this stuff:

http://squidboards.com/threads/how-to-calculate-ability-effects.8271/
http://wikiwiki.jp/splatoon2ch/?%A5%AE%A5%A2%A5%D1%A5%EF%A1%BC%B8%A1%BE%DA
http://pastebin.com/WrtAJza1 (English notes on the Japanese in the above link^)

With no Damage Up, the Sploosh-o-matic retains its 3HKO within its effective range against up to 2 mains and 3 subs of Defense Up. 3 mains of Defense is the bare minimum required to make it a 4HKO.

With just 1 sub of Damage Up, the Sploosh's 3HKO is safe against up to 2 mains and 5 subs of Defense. It would take 3 mains and 2 subs of Defense to counter it.

With 2 subs of Damage Up, the Sploosh keeps its 3HKO against up to 3 mains and 4 subs of Defense. It would take a whopping 2 mains and 8 subs of Defense to make it a 4HKO.

And finally, with only 3 subs of Damage Up, the Sploosh-o-matic can 3HKO any opponent within its effective range. Even if the opponent has Defense Up in every single slot (3 mains and 9 subs), the Sploosh will not need an extra hit to splat.

All of which is to say, there's very little point in having more than 3 subs (or 1 main, for convenience) of Damage Up on the Sploosh. If you're really that paranoid about Defense Up opponents, you can try running a couple subs of Damage Up for added insurance, but 1 main and 3 subs is way too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom