Damage Up

Ime058

Inkling
NNID
Let's start this off well, why does everyone use damage up? It ruins the game entirely. I barely play because I try and use gear and weapons that made the game interesting (ex. no Tentatek, Octo, Dual, 52, etc.), and repeatedly lose (casual) because I don't support the team like the others. I just get one shot by the onslaught of 52's and Octos/Teks. I would like to know your opinions on this and why you think that people are just OK with this awful mechanic in the game.

MacSmitty

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Seeker624
They use it to make wiping out enemies easier. So weapons need'em (Inkbrushes, Aerosprays) and some don't like the Teks and Gals. I can't really provide a useful solution to other than put on damage ups yourself, or defense ups to neutralize the damage.

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
Why would damage up cause you to hate this game? It literally can't make anything kill you faster/easier except octobrush, rollers, and chargers, it just makes it so they don't take extra hits to kill. The .52 gal can kill only in 2 hits minimum, damage up really isn't an "awful mechanic", the abilities in Splatoon are all very balanced.

NotAPerso

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PersocomLover
Players will blame anything they notice while in kill cam I guess.

It sounds like you're not good enough to maneuver around while shooting and often get beaten by weapons that have quicker time to kill or better aim. Blaming a single game mechanic rather than looking at your own mistakes will not help you improve as a player.

Please stop acting like it's the game's fault when you aren't the best player in the world. Practice and be observant to how you make mistakes that end up getting you splatted. Eventually you will improve, but blaming a game mechanic for personal failure helps no one.

MeTaGross

Inkling Cadet
Damage up does not help shooters in any way, as they still require the same number of shots to kill. The only meaningful help it does is letting chargers kill without fully charging.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
With the .52 Gal, a single Defense Up ability is enough to weaken the gun's shots enough that it takes 3 shots to splat someone. The .52 has a rather slow rate of fire, meaning that this disadvantage can easily prove fatal (both to the squiddo and the team). So those players with the multiple Damage Ups have them to counter the effects of multiple Defense Ups.

It's sort of the same with the Splattershots, except for two things: they don't need as much Damage Up to retain a 3-hit splat against a foe, and I think (might be wrong here) it increases the splash damage caused by Burst/Suction Bombs.

Instead of bitching about how everyone sucks for using mainstream weapons, you should look into using gear that has Defense Up and Swim/Run Speed Up so that you don't die so often and cause your team to lose.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Only chargers AFAIK stack Damage-Up to a ridiculous level, it's not that useful for most weapons and Blasters usually go for Quick Respawn instead. I don't really understand why it's so popular though, past 3 main's worth of Damage-Ups the diminishing returns become so severe and for the most part you can OHKO with a partial charge when you have 3 or so Damage-Ups anyway. I'd rather take Cold-Blooded,Swim Speed Up or Ink Recovery Up instead.

Setu

Why don't people take partial damage into account? Just because it is more evidently useful on charger does not mean that it doesn't help anything else. For example say someone hits a single shot or anything that would weaken the opponent and then you're using a 96 gal with dmg up (even though def up is better on 96) and you get one shot that finishes him off that wouldn't have without dmg up. Dmg up on anything pretty much increases the chances of getting the kill on a weakened opponent and I don't think that we are giving enough credit to that.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
I barely play because I try and use gear and weapons that made the game interesting (ex. no Tentatek, Octo, Dual, 52, etc.).
I would also suggest, only because I sort of took this approach, trying to use simpler weapons until you've reached a level of confidence/skill/understanding of the game where you can effectively compete with the less popular weapons?

I rarely deviated from Splattershot Jr, 52 Gal, N-ZAP and the occasional Slosher until I reached S Rank, at which point I shifted my attention to all the other weapon classes I'd been hesitant to try out. I don't think a lot of people did this, but allowing myself so much time to practice with the weapons I did gave me a lot of insights to how other people use all the other weapons and I learned from playing against them how to use them effectively, so that when I finally picked up, say, an E-Liter or Heavy Splatling, the type of tactics I should be using when wielding them.

If you hadn't noticed, I'm also trying to shift your attention away from what abilities people are stacking, because as others have said it is really not that big of a deal, and probably not at the root of your problem. Best of luck!

MeTaGross

Inkling Cadet
Why don't people take partial damage into account?
In some situations it might be good to do this, but there are lots of other abilities that help out more. This is more situational than say, special charge up, ink recovery up or other good abilities. I don't hate damage up, but there are much better things you can use on shooters.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
In some situations it might be good to do this, but there are lots of other abilities that help out more. This is more situational than say, special charge up, ink recovery up or other good abilities. I don't hate damage up, but there are much better things you can use on shooters.
There are a few exceptions though, the aforementioned Gal.52 only needs a few subs of Dmg Up to ensure it still gets that 2-shot splat, while the CJS can use 1 main 1 sub of dmg up so it only takes one direct burst and one shot to finish the target off.

モモコ

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Momogirl3
[QUOTE="MeTaGrossTrying: Bamboozlers, Mini Splatlings, Heavy Splatlings, Hydra Splatlings[/QUOTE]

If someone has 3 main defense up (or like it) you may consider a damage up sub (or 2 what I have, I do not have single sub) to keep 4 hit. Otherwise it makes it 5 hit and that is no fun. I am not sure what is the most you need to keep 4 hit if someone is mostly defense up main and subs ( I seen this before) So having just enough to counter that will benefit you more then others.

Picture of  ラピッドブラスター (Rapid blaster) ラピッドブラスターデコ (Rapid blasterPro) 2 Damage upMain help 2 hit if 1 hit is direct and second hit on far edge On 3 Defense Main

NotAPerso

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PersocomLover
Why don't people take partial damage into account? [...]
Dmg up on anything pretty much increases the chances of getting the kill on a weakened opponent and I don't think that we are giving enough credit to that.
Because it's weapon dependent and often takes too much investment for something that's too situational. Your example with the .96 gal requires half of an entire ability build and someone else on your team has to hit the opponent once so it only works in 2v1 situations where you are already at an advantage. A better example is the aerospray which only needs 1 sub of damage up to get 4 hit to kill much more often because it only needs an opponent with .4 damage which can occur if they've stepped in your ink.
As for your statement that it works with pretty much anything, that's simply untrue. Most weapons won't kill a weakened inkling quicker regardless of damage investment. There are select examples that it can work but it's certainly not everything.
If anything stacks damage up it's generally for another purpose and killing faster with partial damage is a passive benefit rather than the single reason to stack damage.

There are a few exceptions though, the aforementioned Gal.52 only needs a few subs of Dmg Up to ensure it still gets that 2-shot splat, while the CJS can use 1 main 1 sub of dmg up so it only takes one direct burst and one shot to finish the target off.
Beating defense up and increasing effectiveness of burst bombs are other reasons that damage up may be used but they are separate issues from a weapon killing faster from partial damage.

Setu

Because it's weapon dependent and often takes too much investment for something that's too situational. Your example with the .96 gal requires half of an entire ability build and someone else on your team has to hit the opponent once so it only works in 2v1 situations where you are already at an advantage. A better example is the aerospray which only needs 1 sub of damage up to get 4 hit to kill much more often because it only needs an opponent with .4 damage which can occur if they've stepped in your ink.
As for your statement that it works with pretty much anything, that's simply untrue. Most weapons won't kill a weakened inkling quicker regardless of damage investment. There are select examples that it can work but it's certainly not everything.
If anything stacks damage up it's generally for another purpose and killing faster with partial damage is a passive benefit rather than the single reason to stack damage.
Ummm any weapon that does more damage per shot would benefit from partial damage, whether it is giving the partial damage or finishing off. This would include almost every single weapon in the game so I don't think it would be wise to single it down to weapons that change the kill time individually. What you're saying either makes no sense or is just unclear to me. The meta is developing to where it's important to land however much damage possible, making it easier to finish off and clean up.

MeTaGross

Inkling Cadet
The meta is developing to where it's important to land however much damage possible, making it easier to finish off and clean up.
I'm not a pro, and I'm not saying this is wrong, but this would never help me in the battles I play. More damage is meaningless if you don't get the kill, and the way you say it here you are depending on your team not being terrible. If people run more damage to clean up, calculate damage from standing in ink, because every weapon consistently used in S and S+ is at least a 3HKO, this would mean more damage up would be meaningless on most weapons.

The weapons that clearly benefit from damage are: chargers, for fast kills from 100% health; blasters, so you can kill with a miss; and the .52, to counter defense.

NotAPerso

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PersocomLover
Ummm any weapon that does more damage per shot would benefit from partial damage, whether it is giving the partial damage or finishing off. This would include almost every single weapon in the game so I don't think it would be wise to single it down to weapons that change the kill time individually. What you're saying either makes no sense or is just unclear to me. The meta is developing to where it's important to land however much damage possible, making it easier to finish off and clean up.
Please list examples. Spouting nonsense assumptions helps no one. "Damage up helps almost every weapon" in what way? If you're going to make a bold statement please at least back it up with facts and numbers.
I've looked at the damage numbers myself and with a majority of weapons that do not benefit in ways outside of "partial damage" either extra damage added by damage up would not matter or the ability investment is too high for something incredibly situational that would never help in a 1v1. Abilities all have an opportunity cost and in the cases where you sacrifice other abilities for "partial damage" damage up then you are losing out.

Ex: two hits from a Splattershot jr. and one hit from .96 gal kill and could only be turned into a single hit from the Splattershot jr if the SSJ stacks 1 main 4 subs and the .96 gal stacks 3 subs.
This means that the teammate with the other weapon would have to stack damage up. SSJ could benefit from 1 main 5 subs to hit the damage up cap at 33.3 for a potential 3 hit kill but sacrificing half of a build for situational kills seems a waste when other abilities help it much more often and usually when you get 3 hits with a ssj the 4th hit is pretty easy.

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
Best partial damage examples/most useful weapons with partial damage are the bamboozlers and rapid blasters. They both can get to 99.9 with about 4 mains, assuming 3 subs = 1 main, so if an enemy stands on your ink for even just a moment, you can 1-shot them. This is more useful for rapid blasters, since bamboozlers can just use an extra uncharged shot to finish it off, while R-Blasters would have to wait a little bit for their next shot if they didn't get the 1-shot kill

NotAPerso

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PersocomLover
Best partial damage examples/most useful weapons with partial damage are the bamboozlers and rapid blasters. They both can get to 99.9 with about 4 mains, assuming 3 subs = 1 main, so if an enemy stands on your ink for even just a moment, you can 1-shot them. This is more useful for rapid blasters, since bamboozlers can just use an extra uncharged shot to finish it off, while R-Blasters would have to wait a little bit for their next shot if they didn't get the 1-shot kill
Good examples, though I will say that both of those weapons benefit in another way outside of raising damage to 99.9 in that damage up is necessary to counter defense builds as well. So a heavy damage build fills two situations instead of an incredibly rare one.
No damage up on a Bamboozler against defense build takes a fully charged shot and two uncharged shots to kill.
No damage up on Rapid Blaster against defense build can turn three indirect hits into four to kill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom