• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Did i miss out?

Lisku

Inkling Commander
im always hearing people talk about the “good days” of splatoon like S1 S2 and octo expansion. I started splatoon in sizzle season 2023 and whenever I hear this, I feel like I missed out on everything that was good in splatoon. Does anyone else feel this way?

Mx_Diva

Splatoon Playing Spinster
Premium
Pronouns
She/Her
NNID
Mx_Diva
Switch Friend Code
SW-6445-1547-4212
I was playing it when I could during the pandemic but haven’t got a chance to actually get at it in June 2022. (I found out about the overturning of Roe from the messages.). Somewhere I decided to just head all in from there and started calling it “hitting the sauce” when I was going to play Splatoon.

Aiko.Octo

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
she/her
If you ask me it's nothing to mourn. Realistically all you missed was interacting with the playerbase and community during those eras. It was different, sure, but not necessarily better-- it had its own ups and downs.

I think it's common for most of us to see the past through rose-colored glasses. We love to tell stories and reminisce fondly about those times because we had a lot of time to accumulate good memories and forget about (or at least emotionally detach from) the downsides and problems of those times.

In just about any community that's been around a while you'll find people talking about how great it was 'back in the day.' But in most of those cases (not all, granted, but most) it's much more of a personal nostalgia thing than an accurate objective representation of how things were. Years later when we're playing splatoon 5 or something, maybe you'll be referring to these days as the "good days" and other new players will be wondering if they missed out.

The memories that future-you will fondly treasure, for all you know, could be forming right now. Just do your best to enjoy them to their fullest while you are living in them! :>

mizuta_ahato

Inkling
Pronouns
she/her
well, no!
i played splatoon 1 after splatfests/updates, splatoon 2 only a year ago, and like you began splatoon 3 in sizzle season last year. you've not missed 'the good' of splatoon at all; in fact, consider splatoon 3 the height of the series in terms of popularity and budget in production/presentation. if you compare what we get now to what we used to get, you'll see this *is* the good.

people will always complain- even back then in the 'better days'. past games were no more fun or less broken than 3. like aiko said, i think it's part nostalgia as well. i have very fond memories of splatoon 1 and i still enjoy playing it even now, and there are things i do prefer (out of nostalgia!) but in comparison to 3 it's a little bare and slow.

Cephalobro

As a Splatoon 1 veteran since the first game, all I can say is it depends on your definition of missing out.

During the Splatoon 1 days it really felt like times were a lot simpler whenever I played it. It was also when posts were actually a lot more fun to read and see, as it typically wasn't too much of the same kind of post being posted.

On the other end, the Specials were OP, for example, the Bubbler followed the player, could be shared with other players, and was completely indestructible until it ran out.

Overall, I liked that I could just escape into this strange world ruled by humanoid cephalopods and forget about real life for the duration of a playing session.

Last edited:

☆Oblivion☆

Senior Squid
Pronouns
She/Her
NNID
Oblivion_spl
Switch Friend Code
SW-8277-3410-3718
Apart from missing out on stages and the single player campaigns, you also didn't get to experience the minigames such as squidbeats which was a great breather from intense matches. Besides those thing there is not a whole lot of things to look back upon to say they were great.
It's hard to go back, as 1 feels stiff and 2 had balancing issues that were beyond repair. Sure the times were simpler, and I do have my moments from playing it but 3 does things so much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom