Differences between demo versions

ChainALM

Senior Squid
NNID
ChainALM
So, a little something I noticed as I was playing the European/English version, but while watching recordings of the US version, things stood out. Little things. Questionable things.

US Version: Title screen allows pressing minus to pre-order. Purple splat to make this stand out.
EU Version: States release date as May 29th. Yellow splat to make this stand out.

US Version: In weapon select, pre-order promo for demo only costume.
EU Version: No such promotion or prompt to preorder.

US Version: When lobby is full, "Battle Time!"
EU Version: When lobby is full: "Let battle commence!"

US Version: When time is up, banner says "GAME!" repeatedly.
EU Version: When time is up, banner says "Stop Battling!" repeatedly.

US Version: After point totals, options are: "Yeah!", "Exit (weapon select), "Pre-purchase (go to Nintendo eShop)"
EU Version: After point totals, options are: "Continue" "Quit/Weapon Select", No pre-order option, just the same note of release date.

In battle, there are also some minor differences:

When your special gauge is filled up, the EU version says "Click R" while the US version says "Press R".
D-Pad prompts change too. The EU version says "To Me!" and "Nice!", the US version's say "C'mon!" and "Booyah!"

Even the lobby itself has (slightly) different text:

EU Version:
1: Cover the ground with ink and claim as much turf as you can!
2: The team who've claimed the most turf when the time's up are the winners!
3: Check how much turf you and your opponents have on the Wii U GamePad map!

US Version:
1: Splatter the ground with ink and claim as much turf as you can!
2: When time runs out, the team that has claimed the most turf will win!
3: Check the Wii U GamePad map to see which team has the most turf!

There might be other things I've missed or glossed over, but man the US demo really went for that hard sell, didn't it?
Anything else that you squids have noticed?

itisRag

friendly neighborhood rag
NNID
itisrag
EU Version:
1: Cover the ground with ink and claim as much turf as you can!
2: The team who've claimed the most turf when the time's up are the winners!
3: Check how much turf you and your opponents have on the Wii U GamePad map!
Americans would have a mental breakdown if they saw the word "who've" and have to turn off their system.

RoyLee

Inkling Commander
NNID
InfernoUprising
'Americans ftw! Love the slang in all honesty

Chapter Serf

Semi-Pro Squid
Premium
NNID
ChapterSerf
Americans would have a mental breakdown if they saw the word "who've" and have to turn off their system.
I love how formal the British version is lmao
This probably sums it up.

Also:
Dr. Benjamin Franklin from 1776 said:
We've spawned a new race here, Mr. Dikinson. Rougher, simpler; more violent, more enterprising; less refined. We're a new nationality. We require a new nation.

ChainALM

Senior Squid
NNID
ChainALM
Hey guys.
Appreciate all the feedback. The differences, though minor give a really good chuckle and insight at different localisation quirks.
The idea of an American's heads exploding at "who've" is a hilarious one.

I'm not entirely sold on the idea that one is better, but I'm glad you enjoy it.
I'll go back over the demo, particularly the tutorial, and see if there are any other differences.

Ellocus

Senior Squid
NNID
rebellocus
The only differences that seem significant to me are the D-Pad prompts. "To me!" Seems to have much clearer intentions than "C'mon" which could be seen as a complaint in some lights. Also the "Nice!" is a compliment I'd use after a good fight I lost whereas "Booyah!" is something you'd use after one you won!

I wonder if an EU player would see a US player using "Booyah!" or would it come through as "Nice!"

ChainALM

Senior Squid
NNID
ChainALM
I think it might show up as your region's presets. I don't recall seeing anybody say "Booyah!" during my playthroughs.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Very neat, I don't know why they are so different but it's very cool to notice these things. :)

Zoot

Inkling Commander
NNID
IveGotAMegaphone
My guess is that the Japanese text was supplied to two different localisation teams - one in NA, one in EU - who translated it independently and slightly differently.

ChainALM

Senior Squid
NNID
ChainALM
More than likely. I'm rather curious if the "demo costume" will show up as DLC given it's limited to non availability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom