• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Discussion: How is the new Splatfest results system.

NBSink

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5607-3736-5200
OK, we've already seen multiple splatfest results and the newest results are kinda strange. It doesn't really seem to work like Nintendo wanted it. I most cases the less popular team wins. (And In the most cases the solo and team wins are both at one side. WHY

I list all results of the regions here:

America/Oceania:
Cake vs. Ice Cream [Splatoon2 Splatfest World Premier] (Shared results to EU):
  • Votes: 24% - 76%
  • Wins SOLO: 49% - 51%
  • Wins TEAM: 53% - 47%
Mayo vs. Ketchup
  • Votes: 27% - 73%
  • Wins SOLO: 52% - 48%
  • Wins TEAM: 51% - 49%
Flight vs. Invisibility (Shared results to EU):
  • Votes: 49% - 51%
  • Wins SOLO: 55% - 45%
  • Wins TEAM: 52% - 48%

Europe/New Zealand/Australia:
Cake vs. Ice Cream [Splatoon2 Splatfest World Premier] (Shared results to US):
  • Votes: 24% - 76%
  • Wins TEAM: 53% - 47%
Mayo vs. Ketchup
  • Votes: 34% - 66%
  • Wins SOLO: 51% - 49%
Flight vs. Invisibility (Shared results to US):
  • Votes: 49% - 51%
  • Wins SOLO: 55% - 45%
  • Wins TEAM: 52% - 48%
Japan:
Rock vs. Pop [Splatoon2 Splatfest World Premier]
  • Votes: 52% - 48%
  • Wins SOLO: 48% - 52%
Mayo vs. Ketchup:
  • Votes: 56% - 44%
  • Wins SOLO: 51% - 48%
  • Wins TEAM: 49% - 51%
Fries vs. McNuggets:
  • Votes: 71% - 29%
  • Wins TEAM: 49% - 51%

So first of all: Why is EU/US and Japan so different? Japanese players vote for Pearl, while we always voted for Marina (Last Splatfest was very close tho). However, Flight vs. Invisibility Splatfest really had the chance of being the Splatfest where Flight almost could've won with a 3 - 0 but OK.

Every region had a platfest where the more popular team won (If you dismiss the World Premier than EU and US would not have that splatfest).

Out of all results we have 7 Splatfests where it went to a 2 - 1 win but 0 with a 3 - 0 win.
We had 4 splatfests where both team wins went to one team (Up to this point always the less popular one).
We had 3 splatfests where the more popular team won (IceCream in US/EU. Rock and Mayo in Japan).
You CAN'T say that the less popular team will always win. First of all, it's a 4 - 3 battle and second all splatfest have to point which could also been for the other team. Flight vs. Invisibility even had the votes itself to almost go for Flight.

But enough from my side now. How do you feel about the new splatfest results system.

alexj9626

Inkling
I like this system. What i dont like is how one sided America is with Marina. No matter what the teams are, Marina would always win popularity. Fligth vs Invis should have been a 3-0.

I think that, at least is kinda better than Splatoon 1.

Last edited:

NBSink

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5607-3736-5200
Yeah. Everyone thought that Flight was more popular: I actually found 3 people at ones in the Splatoon2 Amino who I think just vote for Marina. And I hate that. I have to be sure that players who are just voting for Marina aren't good players (At least not good enough to reach a 2000 or even 2100 splatfest power). Marina always lost popularity votes in Japan up to this point. They are actually only making no fun to me. Because I choose what I like more and then I could have some bad players when I choose Marinas side. While some good players may end up going to the less popular one. The hole over popularity thing of Marina is unbalancing the hole splatfest from the ground up. And what system should balance that? Well I know that the balancing system while Flight vs. Invisibility were just bad.

Also: I think that later on. It will be more splatfests where the wins are one sided regardless the popularity.

And the new system does not allow any "no side wins situations". A Splatfest in Japan had two point difference at the end.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
At least popularity matters again. In the old system battle results wound up making popularity irrelevant most of the time. In this new system it's 1 point out of 3, so it can never be disregarded. People are going to endlessly speculate on the "meta" of choosing Marina, or the less popular team, or any other choice. Really though, the vast, silent majority of players are going to pick sides for completely arbitrary reasons that don't amount to any serious trend. Kids play this, after all. The folks on this board and others that enjoy discussing the game are a drop in the bucket compared to the larger playerbase.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
About the "People went for invisibility because of Marina and I hate that":
Hey, everyone has the right to weigh different reasons to join either side differently - and there's really no reason to hate on either of those, really. Some vote for what they genuinely like more - good on them. Others might choose the other team because their friends happened to choose the opposite side and they want to play a as a quad - again, fair enough to switch sides then. And again others want to support their favorite idol - nothing wrong with that. Sometimes people like both options equally and then decide to pick where their friends are at. Sometimes people like both options equally but prefer Pearl or Marina. And then there's people who are on team Pearl/Marina regardless of their choice.
My question to you guys is: What does it matter? Really, what does it change? Does their reason behind picking either side really offend you at this point? Just let them enjoy the game, it's not like they're squid partying on your side of ranked/turf/league or anything. Unless they do, then feel free to splat them.

I kind of like the current system in place. Popularity does account for 1/3 of the points but isn't over-and under-powered and the underdog choice can still win this by winning single and quad queues combined.

IHaveAToaster

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4526-2274-0616
Alhough I do think this might be the best system we've had, that doesn't mean much to me:

When I hear people talk about the Splatfest result system, the phrase "you can't polish a turd" comes to my mind.

NBSink

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5607-3736-5200
About the "People went for invisibility because of Marina and I hate that":
Hey, everyone has the right to weigh different reasons to join either side differently - and there's really no reason to hate on either of those, really. Some vote for what they genuinely like more - good on them. Others might choose the other team because their friends happened to choose the opposite side and they want to play a as a quad - again, fair enough to switch sides then. And again others want to support their favorite idol - nothing wrong with that. Sometimes people like both options equally and then decide to pick where their friends are at. Sometimes people like both options equally but prefer Pearl or Marina. And then there's people who are on team Pearl/Marina regardless of their choice.
My question to you guys is: What does it matter? Really, what does it change? Does their reason behind picking either side really offend you at this point? Just let them enjoy the game, it's not like they're squid partying on your side of ranked/turf/league or anything. Unless they do, then feel free to splat them.

I kind of like the current system in place. Popularity does account for 1/3 of the points but isn't over-and under-powered and the underdog choice can still win this by winning single and quad queues combined.
I guess that most guys that just vote for Pearl or Marina regardless the topic aren't good players At least most of them. I might be completely wrong here but that's atleast how I feel. In that case they would most likely drag down the team by losing way to often. And I feel like that during the Mayo vs. Ketchup splatfest I had way to much team where the Ketchup power was below 1900 while my personal Ketchup power where above 2100 (And someone wants to call this good balancing). And that power is in the most cases weird accurate. When my team has a Ketchup power of below 1900 and I have a Ketchup power of 2100 and we have to fight against an Mayo team with a Mayo power of below 1900 but around of my teams power then I can't do anything else than lose while having like 950+ points inked ground.THAT isn't fun (And yet it happened way too often in the first 24h splatfest of Splatoon2. That is why I don't like people to just choose one side because of their waifu. If would just go with pearl as long as I really can't argue for one or the other side.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
I guess that most guys that just vote for Pearl or Marina regardless the topic aren't good players At least most of them. I might be completely wrong here but that's atleast how I feel. In that case they would most likely drag down the team by losing way to often. And I feel like that during the Mayo vs. Ketchup splatfest I had way to much team where the Ketchup power was below 1900 while my personal Ketchup power where above 2100 (And someone wants to call this good balancing). And that power is in the most cases weird accurate. When my team has a Ketchup power of below 1900 and I have a Ketchup power of 2100 and we have to fight against an Mayo team with a Mayo power of below 1900 but around of my teams power then I can't do anything else than lose while having like 950+ points inked ground.THAT isn't fun (And yet it happened way too often in the first 24h splatfest of Splatoon2. That is why I don't like people to just choose one side because of their waifu. If would just go with pearl as long as I really can't argue for one or the other side.
Looks like a sound case of confirmation bias to me, unfortunately.

I could've said the same for the last Splatfest no problem, as a flight member, the group which most likely didn't choose because of their waifu (then again, who knows? ;>): 'People on team invisibility are bad at the game because most of them chose invisibility because of their waifu' - while completely ignoring the fact that I've been matched in the 1.5k range because of multiple disconnects during my placement matches. Now, you can probably guess that I could just walk over my opponents no problem. Unless you can cite me a source, I highly doubt that people who weigh one reason over the other are more likely to play worse than your average player.

Keep in mind that the matchmaking is non-existent so far even with "Power Level"s in place - so you can end up being the unlucky guy who keeps having potatoes on their team. It happens. And I'm sorry you had to go through that, mate - but here's the thing: I don't want to leave such simplifications to mildly discriminate against a certain group as is. Even if it's possibly frustration speaking.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I don't mind it, but I've always had an issue of whenever you pick a splatfest side, whether you win or not feels completely out of your control. There isn't really anything you can do about how the majority of people picked, or are doing on your team. I don't think there's anything they could do to fix that, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom