Do you ever VOD review your games?

Grushi

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
I've had a pretty bad loss streak recently that actually made me consider vod reviewing. I like to think I'm pretty good at realizing my own mistakes after the game is done but I think I could go further.

Do you guys ever vod review your games? By yourself, or with a team, a coach?

briank913

Inkling Cadet
NNID
briank913
Switch Friend Code
SW-0159-0074-0919
We sometimes send our vods to our team coach who's at a higher div than us. He's very detailed and points out alternatives while pointing out what worked well. It helps to have someone else's pov cause we still look at our own games through a biased lens.

briank913

Inkling Cadet
NNID
briank913
Switch Friend Code
SW-0159-0074-0919
I also look at my own too and while I do get a good idea on what went wrong, having two or more sets of eyes and perspectives does give you lot of insight to work off of.

Alphine_Agnitio

Trans Bird Trans Bird 🏳‍⚧️
Switch Friend Code
SW-5178-8280-0912
I've had a pretty bad loss streak recently that actually made me consider vod reviewing. I like to think I'm pretty good at realizing my own mistakes after the game is done but I think I could go further.

Do you guys ever vod review your games? By yourself, or with a team, a coach?
I try to do it once or twice a week, and I record all of my teams games for archival and review later - it helps a lot when it matters

I've started coaching a few friends who are interested in entering the scene as well so I have a lot of downloaded replays I sift through and have to critically give advice on

NumberOneAries

Your Favorite Octoling's Favorite Octoling
Premium
Pronouns
They/Them
Switch Friend Code
SW-4468-2079-9300
I often just review my vods by myself and try to pinpoint mistakes. Something that's been really helpful for meis to use the big graph, look at where you died, or where the other team for checkpoint or lead and see what they did. It also helps to just look at the POV of someone who splatter you. Also coming across dittos (I.e. if u play vExplo and theres a vExplo on the other team) and see stuff they did, especially if you lost.

Knowing when u should've been more patient or more aggressive or more whatever is important bc with the games being so short, improper timing of special uses and things of the sort can be detrimental.

isaac4

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I try to but I find it very difficult to actually learn more from it.
There's so many different factors that come into play when you lose a match that it's hard for me to pinpoint which decisions led to my team to losing a fight and how much I could have done to prevent it.

Alphine_Agnitio

Trans Bird Trans Bird 🏳‍⚧️
Switch Friend Code
SW-5178-8280-0912
I try to but I find it very difficult to actually learn more from it.
There's so many different factors that come into play when you lose a match that it's hard for me to pinpoint which decisions led to my team to losing a fight and how much I could have done to prevent it.
this is a big reason why, if I'm struggling a lot, I ask someone else to vod review for me first(ideally - someone who is strictly better at the game then me, gives me more insightful second opinions)

Azhdarcho

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-3173-5595-5611
I do watch replays of my own games, but my ego is too fragile to watch me lose 😬 but I do have find it helpful to watch even victories, because I can check to see if I make the same decisions twice. If I don’t, why? I might be missing opportunities, or seeing an opponent the second time that I missed the first. I also like to rewatch a match from all eight players’ perspectives to see what choices everyone is making.

C-53

Full Squid
The matches I review tend to be the ones where other players seem to do impossible things. It is a sign then I will learn something from a review when I am asking myself, “How could they have seen me right there?” or “Why didn’t they go down in that fight?”

Usually I find out that my technique is less sneaky than I think it is, or that I am hitting too many partials or fall-off shots.

Aiko.Octo

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
she/her
I do, but my list of things I need to work on is so long right now that sometimes I feel like I can't digest any more information. So I end up watching them mostly with attention on whatever improvement I'm specifically focusing on at the time, rather than generally. Like less to get information and more to try to reinforce in my brain what I need to be thinking about in certain situations, if that makes any sense.

What I seem to get the best results with is when I am reviewing games in the context of a single rotation. Like I'll play a game, briefly review it, then go play another game and review that, etc. It feels like it sticks better when I can look at things I could have done better and then have the opportunity to immediately put them into action. I feel like I start to recognize patterns more easily when I do it like this because I'm more likely to end up in similar situations from game to game, which helps me recognize what is consistently going right or wrong or what kinds of situations are consistently happening and what is and isn't working.

It can be very mentally taxing though. It's frustrating sometimes because even when I focus on something to work on, it seems to take so long to work that change into the subconscious-mental-flowchart that I rely on when everything is moving too fast for me to really think, that I'm mostly watching myself make the same poor choices over and over again and at a certain point I become too demoralized to learn much from the experience. At that point I just need to switch off that particular focus for a while and pick something else, which sometimes I manage, but sometimes I am too stubborn to 'give up', even temporarily, and then I just make things worse for myself, lol. But all that said, when it works, it really does work. I have had some rotations in which by the end I'm starting to feel really good about understanding how to handle myself on those map-modes. It just takes a lot of awareness to distinguish when it's working, not working, working but I'm being impatient, or not working but I'm stubbornly believing it's going to start working any second. I'm not super great at that yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom