Do you feel bad for the opposing team having a disconnected teammate?

Chaos_Knight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Cha0sKnight
This all happened to us at some point. But my friend probably experienced the worst. During the last Splatfest, ALL of her teammates disconnected while the other team showed no mercy.

All you pirates are a bunch of cheaters btw. Seriously, what's wrong with all of you? Do you not have feelings? >_>

It got me thinking, "Does the other team not know how unfair this is?" So I'm wondering, do you feel bad for the other team? Would you take pity and not help your team just to make it fair?

Personally, I would do it if I noticed it. Though if it was done to me, I would not help if anyone from opposing team from the last match that ends up with me.

Last edited:

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
Maybe the opposing team did not get the message. It's hard to keep track sometimes when teammates disappear if you do not directly see the puff of colored air happening showing that a teammate disappeared. Even on my side sometimes I do not notice a missing teammate until the results screen though I do suspect when playing badly.

The best way to get the opposing team's attention is to be a silly as possible and not aggressively ink at all. Maybe they will be silly with you. After all, a one or two member team is usually a lost cause (I won a few 3vs4 so that is still doable)

Albatross

Senior Squid
NNID
Zacrowski
I wouldn't sandbag if the other team gets a dc. If I sandbagged every match there was a dc then I'd be sandbagging a lot of matches. Yes I feel a little bad if they get a dc, but only if they were winning in the first place or if the standing was neutral. If they were losing when someone dced then I don't feel the same pity because nothing really changes.

Dolphoshi

Pro Squid
I do my weapon uses an echoloacter so I notice if they are missing someone but the second they spawn camp me I will show no mercy or I become cruel if I'm missing someone but if something like your friend happen I would take pity

Calamari

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Toowrighteous
1. You already brought this up in another thread...

2. You probably wouldn't have given mercy.

3. This could've happened with Pirates too. This was a very laggy Splatfest. Don't just assume it was all Pirates, because I can guarantee there had to be a Pirate who got 1v4'ed.

StayPuft

Pro Squid
NNID
cellularSP
I had disconnects on both sides this Splatfest. If I notice that we're steamrolling the enemy team I'll generally stay back instead of pushing directly into their base, filling in gaps.

HOWEVER, during the first time my team had a disconnect and the enemy team just kept spawncamping us, I decided "**** it." I went all out, I showed no mercy. I squidbagged. It felt so good to be so bad (at this game and as a person).

I became a true pirate.

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
Considering that during the Art/Science Splatfest my team got totally destroyed by a team of 3, I take nothing for granted.

If it was a 4 v 1 or whatever, though, then it's time to just goof off.

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
I do feel bad sometimes. But during this splatfest, two of my teammates disconnected, so it was 2 Pirates vs 4 Ninjas. I think that you can guess who won... PIRATES!!!!!!! It was at that moment that I realized that pirates are truly- Ah I don't know where I'm going with this I'll just press the post reply button.

ChibiDubtalia

Pro Squid
Sometimes the team with the disconnected player(s) may win or lose, depending on the weapons they have on and how skilled they are when thrown into the stage. I've seen good snipers with one disconnected player moving to the right spots where they were able to take out some of my teammates.

I often feel bad when I see them have one player DC'ed. At least it's not as bad like when they start playing and then one of the players(on either side) suddenly stop moving, which leads to a DC'ed. Cause sometimes it happens at the worst of times for any side.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
I'm still unsure why you think this is cheating. Unless Team Pirates somehow magically forced the players on Team Ninja to disconnect, having a 4 vs 1 match is not cheating in any way shape or form. It is merely bad luck for your friend. There's really no need to insult Team Pirates but implying they're cheaters just because your friend had a bad time.

Now, moving back to the main subject of the thread... It can often be hard for people to notice if there was a disconnect on the other team. It's important to remember that not everybody plays Splatoon the same. You may keep a close eye on the squids at the top but not everyone does. It's especially common during the Splatfest for people to forget about the squids and focus solely on winning. It wouldn't be impossible for people to assume the x'ed out squids were just bad players constantly dying if someone was paying more attention to the match and not to the squids.

To be quite frank, I would not expect the opposing team to show mercy on mine if we had a disconnect and I wouldn't get mad at them if they did. Splatoon is a competitive game and a shooter game. It's very common for people to not show mercy in these types of games and that really is not something one should get hurt over. I've had matches where the other team has shown mercy and I've had matches where they showed none whatsoever.

One of the worst disconnects I ever had was when a majority of the players disconnected. There were only three remaining: two on their team and then just me. One of them met me in the middle and we started a squid party with each other. His team mate was not very kind though and was attempting to kill me... Thankfully, his team mate was really bad at the game and all I had to do was turn around and smack him with my roller. We would continue our party and I would smack him every time he came down to try and kill me. *shrugs*

Last night, I had a disconnect that left just me - a roller - and a sniper on a team against four players. Those four players did not show any mercy on us whatsoever. Am I mad at that? No. Am I hurt over it? No. I don't expect players to coddle me and give me mercy. I expect them to play the game as they would play it. If they choose to give mercy then I am okay with that. If they choose to go all out then I am also okay with that. If they want to squid party than I say let's squid party but if they want a battle, I'm going to give it my all and I hope my team mate(s) will give it their all as well.

Now as for me personally... If the disconnect was during a Splatfest, I would not show mercy. Yes, it sucks when it's 3 versus 4 but - to be brutally honest - I am here to win. I will go all out and try to win because that is what I am here to do. If it was just one opponent, I probably would hang back and just squid around the map because there would be no use in fighting an already won battle. But no, I would not show mercy during a Splatfest. Call me mean, heartless, a cheater, or whatever you want but that's how I play Splatfests.

If it was during a regular Turf War then I would probably show a bit more mercy to the team because Turf is just casual. I would treat Ranked the same as I treat Splatfests. I'm sorry but I won't show you any mercy during a Ranked battle even if you had a disconnect.

Pinko

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Pinkolol16
I was in a Rainmaker room and it wasn't particularly laggy but the other team only showed a 3.

We showed no mercy and won, but I quit the room afterward because enough pain is enough.
Time for better server.
All that crud.
I'll feel sorry but my actions won't reflect it lolol.

In Splatfest once I had a 1 v 4 (I was the 4) and the kid knew he lost so he just flicked his roller over the edge of his spawn. I felt particularly sorry for that kid even as I jumped around his spawn.

SkyBound

Inkster Jr.
Well i had this thing (no splatfest) and we all had inkbrushes.
We just drew some things and it was really funny

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Do you feel bad when the opposing team has 4 Chargers? Do you feel bad when the opposing team is 4 Inkbrushes? Do you feel bad when the opposing team is nothing but Level 9s?
No?
Then you're a cheater.

That is your logic going into this.
I'm sure you can see how ridiculous it sounds on the outside.

Veena

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Anlaced
I wouldn't call it cheating and I don't frown on players who capitalize on their advantage. In turf wars depending on my mood I may start goofing off if more than one player disconnects but like others have said, sometimes I don't even notice if a dc happens, even if it's on my own team. Besides, isn't there some fun in seeing if you can get a ridiculously high percentage of the map covered? In ranked, I don't see any reason why the other team should show mercy, there are plenty of things that go awry in solo queue such as unbalanced weapon or rank compositions, so if someone on the opposite team dcs I will take advantage of that, especially because I'm pretty sure you only lose one point if someone on your team disconnects. So while I do feel somewhat bad for a team with a disadvantage there are no significant negative consequencs, the other team has no moral obligation to "make it fair". Turf wars is whatever, no one really cares if you win or lose, it's mostly just for leveling gear, collecting money or just screwing around. During splatfest you can still get a decent amount of snails even if you're on the losing team and one 1v4 isn't going to result in losing the whole event anyway. And lastly, ranked only deducts one point for losing.

DCs happen and sometimes they can be frustrating but the other team aren't jerks for trying to get the win. //Shrug

Kabel

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Kabelly
Nintendos servers have been garbage today. I think almost a third of my games have been 3 against 4

Dolphoshi

Pro Squid
And lastly, ranked only deducts one point for losing.

DCs happen and sometimes they can be frustrating but the other team aren't jerks for trying to get the win. //Shrug
I wish unless you hold out for awhile (like 2 minutes) you will lose the same amount of points it's not heavily reduced

Lorbeerprinz

Full Squid
NNID
lorbeerprinz
I'm with the rest, it's not cheating to home on a team with disconnects. Personally, I hardly ever notice when the opposing team (or even mine) has a disconnected player since I don't always keep my eye on the squids on top of the screen. I do know how it feels to be on the recieving end of a 4 vs 1 match (happened in an early Splatfest, don't remember which one exactly), it kinda hurts to be overrun like this, but it's really just bad luck and bad servers. While I would say it's a little unwarranted for the 4-people team to show absolutely no mercy in cases where it's obvious that the other team is at a severe disadvantage (I think you'll notice soner or later when your opponent only has one or two active players), they aren't cheating. They might display questionable sportsmanship, but no cheating.
As for the overarching question of the thread, I do sometimes feel bad. Usually, I only notice when the opposing (or even my) team has a disconnected player in the results screen and then I go like "oh, no wonder we/they lost, meh", mostly when there's a big difference in the result between the two teams. It might get a bit annoying when it happens frequently, but all in all it's just bad luck. It doesn't feel all too good to wrestle out big win against an outnumbered team though.
That being said, it IS possible to win when outnumbered; I once had a 2-vs-4 match, i.e. two people of my team being disconnected, and we still won, somehow. It's probably rare, but if the remaining players are good and work hard, it can work.

Veena

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Anlaced
I wish unless you hold out for awhile (like 2 minutes) you will lose the same amount of points it's not heavily reduced
Really? All the times I've had a dc on my team in ranked I've only lost one point, I must have gotten lucky.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
Really? All the times I've had a dc on my team in ranked I've only lost one point, I must have gotten lucky.
If a player disconnects in the middle of a match, you take the full point deduction. If a player disconnects before the battle starts, you only lose 1 point.

Graff

I'm not funny D:
NNID
griffingraff
I'll only feel "bad" if we still lose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom