Do you go for style, of effectiveness?

Leedika42

Senior Squid
NNID
Leedika.TheGov
Throughout my time playing Splatoon I have always thought of ways I can make the game last as long as possible, and one of those ways is through developing my gear.

Personally I only choose to try to make new gear for myself if I like the way it looks on my Inkling. Then I will ask myself "what abilities can I put on this that would be fun to use." To me the gear is your way of making the most out the limited customization of the inklings. For example, I think the male inkling looks amazing with glasses, so I have three different pairs with good abilities.

My question to everyone is "do you really care how you look, or do you just want the best abilities on your gear no matter what you look like and why?" (Please tell me I am not the only one who cares a lot about how their character looks...)

VideoGameVirtuoso

Pro Squid
NNID
ExtremeTechPro
I would be showing off my gear if I was not being shot at. I find it very difficult to suspect your opponents, or even your teammates, will appreciate your clothing style during a match. However, at Inkopolis Plaza, I could potentially see it as a way of presenting some level of customization to others.

I do care about getting appropriate gear for my weapons and playstyles, as well as looking stylish. However, I often prefer choosing intimidating gear, such as the Gas Mask (honestly not much choice there). It also potentially allows you to draw attention to yourself, which could be quite strategic during a team fight.

chrisblass1

Pro Squid
NNID
Chrisblass1
Anyway i try to go for both, but mostly style. Gotta look fly while im splatting people

Last edited:

My dog Rudy

Inkster Jr.
It also potentially allows you to draw attention to yourself, which could be quite strategic during a team fight.
Hmmm I was wondering if certain gears DO make you more noticeable to opponents, such as the neon shoes, anything that doesn't change color every game, samurai helmet and the power mask and power armor. Do they increase your inklings height and size so on maps like moray towers the snipers have a easier time spotting you?
In that sense fake lenses and hair clips would be advantageous because they bring less attention (which is good most of the time)

Kaze

Pro Squid
I'm not really a amazing player, I usually get rekt by anyone that can out range me since I'm a sucker for short range weapons,
but you can get far by luck alone though ;)
Dear god,
If i ever see meet this person in a lobby please let them always be on my team
-Chris

VideoGameVirtuoso

Pro Squid
NNID
ExtremeTechPro
Hmmm I was wondering if certain gears DO make you more noticeable to opponents, such as the neon shoes, anything that doesn't change color every game, samurai helmet and the power mask and power armor. Do they increase your inklings height and size so on maps like moray towers the snipers have a easier time spotting you?
In that sense fake lenses and hair clips would be advantageous because they bring less attention (which is good most of the time)
With my playstyle, I often need to attract the opponent's attention so other long-ranged players can easily attack them. I use the Krak-On Roller, so whenever they attempt to get close, I often easily surprise them with a OHKO. If I did not attract attention, then often my teammates are severely pressured and I would be splatted without support.

I can really handle pressure, even in enemy turf, so often two to three players are focusing on me at once. I usually place my faith that my teammates will take any remaining opponents once I take out one or two players in a aggressive stance.

I am reasonably sure that the gear you refer to do make you more noticeable on the map, but it does not increase your hurtbox.

Last edited:

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
mostly effectiveness. TBH, the only clothing I absolutely refuse to wear is that pink neon shoe.

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
I pick out abilities that work well for me, though I also try to develop a theme in my style. For example, this is the loadout I've settled on for the Hydra:
JSK Splatoon Gear 13.jpg

Basically, I sought some clothes that had stats to alleviate the Hydra's long charge-up and maximize its potential, and they came with the bonus of looking sorta like a vintage firefighter's outfit.

NNID
m0nkeyd0g
I am always thinking about both at the same time. Thankfully, most of the gear in Splatoon happens to be pretty fresh to begin with, so it is generally not hard for me to find stuff I like that also has a good ability. I have quite a bit of exceptionally fresh "shiny" gear now.

Ayasha89

Full Squid
NNID
Ayasha89
why not both?
I personally prefer style, but I see no reason why you can't have both style & useful abilities ;)

Remind me to disconnect myself and the Wii U from existence if I ever get to S/ S+ and face you. You look perfect for RM.

(Just reached A tonight. Getting out of A- was like B+ again.)

Kaze

Pro Squid
come on guys I'm not some hardcore pro player, I play mostly for fun & for that extra S+ prize cash... :oops:
Remind me to disconnect myself and the Wii U from existence if I ever get to S/ S+ and face you. You look perfect for RM.

(Just reached A tonight. Getting out of A- was like B+ again.)

chrisblass1

Pro Squid
NNID
Chrisblass1
come on guys I'm not some hardcore pro player, I play mostly for fun & for that extra S+ prize cash... :oops:
Ninja squid plus all them swim speed ups is the most terrifying thing i have ever seen...........fear what you cant see coming at high speed.........

Leedika42

Senior Squid
NNID
Leedika.TheGov
I never expected this to turn into a bit of a show and tell but I love my special related nerd outfit.

Sorry for the low res, I don't have a capture device.

Last edited:

Kaze

Pro Squid
̶W̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶l̶o̶v̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶s̶e̶e̶ ̶i̶t̶,̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶i̶m̶a̶g̶e̶s̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶w̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶s̶c̶r̶e̶e̶n̶ ̶:confused:

EDIT: looks like you fixed it ;)
I never expected this to turn into a bit of a show and tell but I love my special related nerd outfit.

Sorry for the low res, I don't have a capture device.

Last edited:

Leedika42

Senior Squid
NNID
Leedika.TheGov
Would love to see it, but the images are not showing on my screen :confused:
The images had an error trying to be uploaded. I found a way to get around it using imgur.

Last edited:

Inu

Inkling
Wow that swim squid gear is legit, thats what i plan on equipping eventually with my New Squiffer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom