• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Do you prefer the old or new specials?

GrandestMagus

Inkster Jr.
Title is topic, as always. In my opinion, I'm mixed. At the same time I like the power of all the Splatoon 1 specials, I do find the Splatoon 2 specials weaker and easier to dodge. Tenta Missiles will always be easier to dodge than an inkstrike, in my opinion.
Do you enjoy the Splatoon 1 specials or the Splatoon 2 specials? Would you like to one day, hope to squid jesus that the Splatoon 1 specials one day return to Splatoon 2 specials? Do you hate spaghetti? I'd love to hear what you'd have to say.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
mothafucka talkin **** bout mah spaghetti

I'm a bit biased, because I'm used to all the old stuff and haven't gotten to try all of the new, so I can't say with certainty one way or the other. But I mean, I guess it's nice not having to worry about catching somebody off-guard only for them to pop a Kraken/Bubbler and taking you down instead. One might argue the new Ink Shield thing does the same thing, but at least with that it's A) not instantaneous and B) good for one extra hit only. Dunno about the Baller, though. I'll have to try it out when I can.

#freethekraken anyway

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
My major complaint only gears around the octo brush currently. I do not like the special, it's a hindrance to me. Feels like I am exposing myself too much in the air, and I want something more stealth like. If it was coupled with tenta missile, or perhaps ink storm, it would make the weapon's purpose a little more sense.

If I would too, change maybe the sub and have it as toxic mist. That would really make this weapon a beast.

BackwardCap

The Ink Brush Samurai
NNID
BackwardCap
Old specials felt powerful. These new ones occasionally feel like they hurt you more than they help you if you don't properly set them up for maximum effectiveness. I think this is due to their design philosophy being that every special must have a counter this time around. You can pretty much beat all the specials by just getting into a position where it's least effective and splatting the person using it.

mario123007

Pro Squid
Old specials felt powerful. These new ones occasionally feel like they hurt you more than they help you if you don't properly set them up for maximum effectiveness. I think this is due to their design philosophy being that every special must have a counter this time around. You can pretty much beat all the specials by just getting into a position where it's least effective and splatting the person using it.
I feel thew new special are more balanced as well. I also aware it is obvious that have to change specials because one of them in the old game requires gamepad.
I personally haven't played the first game but watch my brother play with different weapons, and me getting the Switch I am sure will to the get the game soon. My first play was during the Splatfest, and I hope I can try more of that Splat Dualies.

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
I like splat 2 specials the most.

Splat 1 specials are more like you use it and instantly give yourself a advantage.

In splat 2, you need to plan first before using a special in order for it to be effective.
Otherwise, it would just be lucky kills at best or a free splat for enemy`s at worst.
This make them alot more fun and rewarding to use.
Though i understand some may feel like they're weak (for a special).

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
The new specials. They're not as powerful, yes, but now my matches don't have what resembles quick-time events. "Moving forward moving forward PRESS LEFT NOW TO NOT DIE YOU HAVE 0.2 SECONDS TO REACT TOO LATE SUPRISE INKZOOKA/KRAKEN/WHATEVER BACK TO THE SPAWN WITH YOU!"

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
As fancy as things like the Kraken were, let's face it. The old specials were an unbalanced mess. They reach from useless abilities like inkstrike, which would probably even be the worst special among the new specials, to absolute gamechangers like the Bubbler.

Fullmental

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Pokeman92
Definitely prefer 2. I hated being tethered to kraken and bubbles and relying on them simply because there was no counter to them. I also hated doing everything right and getting a flank only to get bubbled or krakened before I could get the kill (or after I hit them x times and expect them to die, thanks to latency). Getting killed instead of kills just because of invincibility sucks and should never make a return in this game again.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
I honestly like both the specials in splatoon 1 and splatoon 2 with some exceptions. Kraken, bubbler and splat bomb rush. Kraken and bubbler mostly because of invicibility and how overpowered they were when pushing objectives, keeping enemies at spawn and latency. "Oh you just shot this person 4 times and hit them with a burst bomb? Too bad, they popped kraken/bubbler. Back to spawn with you". Inkzooka is strong but not overpowered IMO. It's pretty loud when an enemy activates it and the delay gives you some time to find cover. It was OP early on when you could shoot it as soon as you activated it. My main gripe with splat bomb rush is how quickly it can become overwhelming and how well it could lock down any given area. Suction takes a while to get going and burst bomb needs decent aim to be useful. The luna in particular was the best at using that bomb rush (in hindsight i think the luna is the only reason i hate splat bomb rush). The echo was crazy in the e-litre's heyday, but it's hasn't seen much use at all these days. The rest i feel are fine.

GearWax

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
KoopaTroopaBloop
Title is topic, as always. In my opinion, I'm mixed. At the same time I like the power of all the Splatoon 1 specials, I do find the Splatoon 2 specials weaker and easier to dodge. Tenta Missiles will always be easier to dodge than an inkstrike, in my opinion.
Do you enjoy the Splatoon 1 specials or the Splatoon 2 specials? Would you like to one day, hope to squid jesus that the Splatoon 1 specials one day return to Splatoon 2 specials? Do you hate spaghetti? I'd love to hear what you'd have to say.
Old. I found every special to be good in Splatoon 1, but 2 has some ones that I REALLY don't like.
Ink Armor is kind of like Echolocator. It helps, but there's never a situation where you NEED it- you kind of just activate it when it comes up. I don't like that.
Splashdown is awesome, and it's easily one of my favorites and one that I really like.
Inkjet is awesome too, but it should be easier to control and get that one-shot. It's predictable and easy to avoid.
Tentamissiles are cool, but again, too easy to dodge. They should land in a small vicinity AROUND their target to make them less easy to run from.
Stingray..... is just terrible. If you could see through walls ALL the time, then it might be good. And if it did more damage. But right now, it's just a much worse killer wail.
Bomb Launcher is just bomb rush. Nothing to say about that.
Inkstorm is meh. I like it in Turf Wars and Splat Zones, but in other modes it's just useless.
The Baller and Bubble Blower are ones I haven't played yet, so I'm not sure.

1's specials felt balanced, with maybe the Echolocator and Inkstrike being a little worse. While 2's are creative, some just really turn me off.

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
Reporting back on how I am managing with the new specials. Seems like the octo brush is really usable in splat zones because of the sub and special really comes in handy when firing towards the main point of the map.

I also found the other variety of dualies physically welcoming to tower control. I am also doing bomb canceling along with the ink armor for tri slosher. It is really all about pressure and using your specials wisely I feel for this game rather than relying on it so much.

NNID
drew28
I never played Splatoon 1 on a competitive level partly because the game always felt broken to me. The specials were way too strong and could be used with very little skill. The specials in Splatoon 2 are still very strong tools but require more skill to effectively use them and personally, that's how I think it should be.

OmegaDivider

Squid Sisters Fanboy
NNID
OmegaDivider
New specials bore me to absolute death.

Y'know what's easier than getting a kill after popping Kraken/Bubbler?

Not needing to play around Kraken/Bubbler.
The specials feel so inconsequential and flat out, easy to ignore.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
Looking back, if I had a penny for every time I groaned in disdain from being taken out by a surprise Splatoon 1 special, I could've bought three Switches and still have change for a sandwich or something.

But now that I'm getting into ranked on Splatoon 2, I feel like how I'm using my specials actually matters a lot more, like finding the right opportunity for my Splashdowns in Rainmaker or hopping off the tower with the Inkjet to defend it. They aren't foolproof strategies, but actually feel satisfying to pull off successfully.

AllToonedUp

Inkling Cadet
Personally, I prefer the new specials because they're more balanced and they have true counters. I understand that special weapons are supposed to be "table-turners" but the weapons in 2 seem to be more skilled-based and they can put you in an advantage but not to the point where its nearly impossible to kill the person using it.

Ink Armor is debatable but its not just a "lol panic button" like the Bubbler since it has start-up lag and only negates one hit.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
[QUOTE="GearWax, post: 229094, member: 23692"Ink Armor is kind of like Echolocator. It helps, but there's never a situation where you NEED it- you kind of just activate it when it comes up. I don't like that.[/QUOTE]If that's how you're using it, I suggest you're doing it wrong. I throw it up when I see a confrontation coming up when I don't have an overwhelming strategic advantage. For instance, if I have even footing against someone using a mid-range shooter (not the .52) or blaster when I'm using the N-ZAP '85, I'll put on the armor and then charge straight at their face, knowing I'll win. And it's beautiful to see that Assist icon pop up from the other side of the map and know I made a difference there, too.

Hamachiカマ★

Full Squid
New!! So much more balanced, the bubbler and kraken were mistakes. Also I love how the e-liter doesn't get burst bombs as a side note lol.

I do however think the poison mist sub is a bit hard to use. I personally don't like a sub that really requires another teammate. Unless you are using an ink sub saver it's pretty pointless as you will be almost out of ink too!
Idk I just might need to practice with it more.

Overall I really enjoy all the new specials and subs a lot.

IceIceSquiddy

Inkling
I like some of the new specials more than others, just like I did with the old ones. I'm particularly fond of the Tenta Missiles and Ink Storm as I've gotten some good results with them in both Turf War and Splat Zones. The Inkjet I've gotten some use out of, but I can't say I particularly care for Ink Armor. In fact, I find it to be pretty useless most of the time. It either ends up getting shattered and I get splatted regardless, or it wears off before I have a chance to even try to make use of it. I haven't really used enough of the other specials to have any sort of opinion on them.

As for older specials, I deeply miss the Inkzooka. I'm hoping it makes a comeback in a future update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom