• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Do you study your opponent's movements?

Chaos_Knight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Cha0sKnight
Have ever noticed one enemy player start the match by going the same exact route every time? Like if one person rushes your base the same time every match and you want to find ways to stop them from doing so,

xJãÿιεαƒx

Inkling
I actually study their movies if I don't forget to think about it and rush it, sometimes I'll just walk in and shoot because I forget what I'm doing. Other times when I go in I have a strategy and see what they're doing and fight against it, it's kinda my reason to back off a bit at first and then get them.

Spiderface

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Spiderface1992
Yeah of course, paying attention to where the sniper likes to go, checking on anyone pesky with beakons, keeping watch for someone who keeps spamming their special..... Watch their path on the map at the start of the match to see how the mid is being approached.

Also you know. Rollers or brushes who keep trying to camp on walls.

I also note the player that seems to be the biggest threat and try to take them out. I don't lose track of the objective, but if someone's wreaking havoc or got their special charged, I try to give them a good old swing of my roller to prevent damage to my team. Even if it means trading, I think me trading with someone who's about to Kraken, Bomb Rush or Bubble is probably best for my team.

Another thing I do is try to remember to ink the walls that my opponents would want to use. Like if I see that they've inked one, I chuck a few burst bombs up to go over it just to slow them down a bit. Useful to stop them making quick escapes in an ambush...

Last edited:

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Yep. Spiderface's advice is pretty on point. Equally important is knowing the hot spots ahead of time, so you can guess correctly where the sniper's going to set up shop and liven up their day, as an example.

It's also important to KEEP paying attention. I had a notable match once on Kelp Dome Splat Zones where the squiffer was doing a fine job of harassing me, splatted me four times... and then got distracted or bored and focused on my teammates, leaving me free to paint the zone from relative safety with my Jet Squelcher. They'd have won that one if anyone besides the squiffer had paid me any mind.

WeirdChillFever

Pro Squid
Yeah as a Heavy Splatling Remix, knowing where the sniper is is key.
Then it's key to make its life a Killer Wail hell, while painting their area outside of their range with a Sprinkler or your main weapon.

One time on Kelp Zones, I was up against a fellow Heavy Splatling, but I managed to kill him everytime with my Killer Wail because he chose to take it to the grates.

On top of that, the opponent's perch might be a good location to set up camp yourself, with the whole symmetry thing.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Personally I've developed a good sense to tell what the enemy might try to do. That said, it's obviously not perfect as I tend to imagine their best course of action and they can end up doing something that doesn't really benefit them (like trying to play the range game against my Heavy Splatling with a Splattershot), but all joking aside I have been splatted in some silly ways.

What I do is think of what I would do to splat myself, like taking certain routes to flank or saving for a special weapon, or how to take advantage of a situation, like a surprise flanking maneouver. Due to my heavily defensive (pun intended) playstyle I practice this nearly every single match unconsciously, to the point where I almost play to games at a time, always imagining a surprise flank on Kelp Dome or a backdoor in Moray Towers. I also tend to notice trends on the way enemies behave, like a shooter that always opens up with Burst Bombs or a sniper that really likes to look at my gun (now I know the Remix looks awesome, but come on).

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
As a sniper myself, knowing where your opponents are is CRUCIAL, not knowing where the opponents are won't get you a single kill, and you'll be asking to get flanked. Also predicting is a huge part of my gameplay, because if you don't predict and just shoot wherever the opponents are, you won't hit anything.
(Unless it's a super jumping squid)
Now I can predict squids falling in midair, swimming through ink, or walking around normally. Being able to do that allows me to use my range.

Yeah of course, paying attention to where the sniper likes to go, checking on anyone pesky with beakons, keeping watch for someone who keeps spamming their special..... Watch their path on the map at the start of the match to see how the mid is being approached.
Equally important is knowing the hot spots ahead of time, so you can guess correctly where the sniper's going to set up shop and liven up their day, as an example.
Yeah as a Heavy Splatling Remix, knowing where the sniper is is key.
Then it's key to make its life a Killer Wail hell, while painting their area outside of their range with a Sprinkler or your main weapon.
Why do you people hate me ;-;

And yes, @WeirdChillFever, yes I love Mahi-Mahi ;)

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
I feel I should watch more enemy movements and how they approach more, but I do know all the basic approaches for each map, and it's pretty easy to tell where long range users will perch, where short range users will appear from to move up, and anything in between.

Since we are talking about snipers in this thread, I always keep an eye out for them when I know there is one on the enemy team. If they are perched and active, I am extremely careful to try and stay out of their line of sight. Thankfully, if there is one good thing about fighting a sniper, they are almost all very predictable in where they snipe from. Though the moment they find some weird place to perch themselves, it gets kinda scary.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
There's few things more satisfying in this game than blasting a charger with my jet squelcher before they can get their shot off at me :D

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Why do you people hate me ;-;
It's not much that Splatlings hate snipers (I just despise the gun itself, not the user), it's that we live by our range and heavy firepower. Whenever we lose one of those, the second one takes over. And when we lose both of them... well, it's not pretty :confused:

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
There's few things more satisfying in this game than blasting a charger with my jet squelcher before they can get their shot off at me :D
I don't think I've died to a jet squelcher in months, then again I don't see them too often.

It's not much that Splatlings hate snipers (I just despise the gun itself, not the user), it's that we live by our range and heavy firepower. Whenever we lose one of those, the second one takes over. And when we lose both of them... well, it's not pretty :confused:
Yeah for a splatling to even stand a chance against a charger, they have to rely on the charger to miss the shot in the first place.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
I try to study the opponents movements if I can keep track of their appearance and name. Otherwise it's all lost on me who's who.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I don't think I've died to a jet squelcher in months, then again I don't see them too often.
Which is a shame, because squelcher mains like myself excel at annoying people :P Gotta love fully automatic fire at charger range.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Nope, there isn't much movement for them going on after I splat them down with ink!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom