• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Do you think amiibo does too much or too little?

Do you think amiibo does too much or too little?

• Too much.

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Too little.

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • Just about right.

Votes: 6 27.3%

• Total voters

CM2

Inkling Cadet
NNID
chenmaster2
So far was there a point where amiibo feel a little too intrusive when it comes to the content they unlock?

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Unfortunately I have very few games with amiibo support, so I have to make my judgments on these descriptions. And honestly, the only games that I think overdo it are Animal Crossing: Amiibo Party (which I wouldn't put (all) the blame on the amiibo themselves), and maybe Splatoon (only because the unlockable gear is kinda-sorta-possibly a bit P2W, unlike MK8's Mii costumes).

Overall, I think they're used effectively.

NNID
m0nkeyd0g
This is only kind of related, but I really wish the Amiibo challenges in Splatoon were new/unique. They're all pretty easy, with the exception of that damned final boss (*curses* no chance I'm playing that again. No hero replicas for me), but I think it would have been cool if there were just five unique missions for each amiibo. One for each unlockable item.

To relate this to your post, I think that Splatoon (for good reason) does not rely heavily on amiibo support. That is because there is already plenty of "free" gear with very similar criteria to the amiibo stuff, and of course the hero weapons are just alternate designs of existing weapons.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
They do what they're intended to do: make people buy DLC without realizing that they're buying DLC. In that regard, they are truly brilliant. Nintendo looked at the negative attitudes people developed towards paid DLC and started selling what looks like a collectible with bonus content. It's amazing the difference it makes when you take something people aren't thrilled about, repackage it, and market it differently.

Platinum Inkling

Senior Squid
I think it's too much... as someone who doesn't like amiibo, it's disappointing to know I'll never unlock all the things that go along with them. I'd actually rather pay for DLC than buy amiibo, and I think there should be an option to just buy the unlockables without the amiibo. I hope that whatever console that Nintendo comes up with next either doesn't use them at all (unlikely, I know), or add some other way to unlock everything.

stitchedwithlove

Full Squid
NNID
stitchedwithlove
I personally think it depends. For instance, the Fire Emblem amiibo function with quite a few games such as Code Name: S.T.E.A.M, Fire Emblem: Fates, ACE COMBAT® Assault Horizon Legacy +, Yoshi's Woolly World, etc. However, the Pokemon amiibo fall short as they aren't as compatible compared to the other amiibo. Some also have better rewards than others.

Whenever I buy an amiibo I'm just satisfied and grateful to even have it in my hands. They bring me, and I'm sure other people, so much happiness. Why? Because it's a Nintendo character - it's iconic and its games have brought me so many joyful memories. It's a sense of nostalgia, I guess. And yeah, it is also for that "DLC". :P

DekuKitty

Pro Squid
NNID
SkyeHunter
I mean most people never take their amiibo out of the box anyway so it doesn't really matter.

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
Amiibo don't do much, but Splatoon actually seems to have the most amiibo benefits

1. A decent amount of money, and just from single player

2. 3 new weapons, sort of (they just look different)

3. 9 pieces of gear, which is doesn't seem like too much, but it is actually really good if you are trying to roll for pure gear (10% per perk instead of 6%)

4. You can practice charger and roller skills in SP, in addition to splattershot skills

I do plan on getting the Splatoon Amiibos...eventually.

Overall, I think Amiibos are quite unique. I mean, collectibles that have extra content on them that can be used in actual games? GENIUS! Plus, that's if you WANT the extra content. You don't have to buy them if you don't want.

The only thing I hate about them is how they made Amiibo Party, they went a bit too far for that. Sure, some people might buy the Amiibos necessary for that game, but a majority won't just go out and spend however money is needed to get them all. Plus some can't even buy Amiibos! And it makes me sad to see Animal Crossing being used like that, I love the series.

electraheart

Senior Squid
NNID
howalive
for ssb, i think sort of just right. it's neat fighting them and training them, i guess. tho i think it'd be cool if you could turn their damage boost off/on.
for splatoon, i couldn't stand the splatoon story mode so the thought of doing it all over again three times is painstaking in every way. the gear is cool tho and unlocking new weapons is nice but sSTILL.

モモコ

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Momogirl3
For splatoon it is a bit of both.

Amiibos lock too much in splatoon that should be standered (playing different weapons in 1 p)

now what they should of did is maybe have the different challenges (like kraken time trail mode, ink save mode) for all the stages. Doing that with allowing the use of different weapons would greatly increase the value of 1 p.

the amiibo gear prob should been with base game too while the amiibos could of had different color changes for them and weapons.

Something like mk8 does it right, the amiibos where not spifcially for that game while it gives a nice bonus for buying them for smash or something.

This is why splatoon amiibos needed to work different since they are pretty much for that game. They do not transfer well to others.

They do what they're intended to do: make people buy DLC without realizing that they're buying DLC. In that regard, they are truly brilliant. Nintendo looked at the negative attitudes people developed towards paid DLC and started selling what looks like a collectible with bonus content. It's amazing the difference it makes when you take something people aren't thrilled about, repackage it, and market it differently.
People do not like DLC because a lot of times, you are now paying for an unfinished game for the same price as a full game while paying MORE to actually have the finished game, kinda like why splatoon amibos are attacked.

DLC done right, look at MK8, no one complains about MK8 dlc.

Last edited:

Floating Eyeball

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Stanley618
I think they do a lot of good things for Splatoon, the new challenges look like fun to me, and the gear and weapons are pretty nice! (though I wish the Hero Replicas were their own kits rather than reskins)

I kind of feel like there should be more compatibility for amiibo in different games. It'd add to their appeal, especially for those only compatible in a few games or that aren't that great for their games. (like Smash characters that some people that play as much-I have a Donkey Kong and Bowser amiibo, but nobody I play with really uses them, so they're not getting a lot of use)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom