Do you think octolings will ever be playable in Splatoon?

LordNoob

Inkling
NNID
xDatEpicNoob
I've been thinking about this topic recently and I have a pretty good reason why I think they will be playable at some point.
The Splatoon developers said while back that they were inspired by different FPS games. ( Battlefield. COD, Halo and etc.) In One of the Halo games it was possible to choose play as an Elite (Enemies in Halo) or the regular Spartans in multiplayer. Even in the CODs and Battlefields, they had some factions/squads/teams in multiplayer as the enemies in the campaign.
I think being able to play as Octolings in Splatoon would be AWESOME and even if it was paid DLC, I'd buy it straight away.
What do you guys think?

Azure_Kyte

Inkling
NNID
Azure_Kyte
Well, for what it's worth, Octolings are/were playable by changing the save file's "Gender" value to 3 instead of 1 or 2 (Values may or may not be 0-ordered, forgive me for potentially being slightly wrong).

That being said, there is a problem where players that have an Octoling in their plaza get softlocked when entering the plaza, so there would need to be an update that fixes that first (Not necessarily difficult) before the Octolings became an option. There is also the problem of hat models. As the Octoling Hairstyle is vastly different to the other Inkling models, hats cause an obscene amount of clipping that devs would not want to see in a public release.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
All those problems are very simple to fix though.

Not to mention that Multiplayer-Octolings have their seperate models from the Single-Player ones.
If I remember correctly.

With all that in mind, we can pretty much confirm that Octolings will come to Multiplayer.
All we have to do, is wait!

Azure_Kyte

Inkling
NNID
Azure_Kyte
Most of those problems should be accounting for an exception here and there, definitely. My points weren't about how hard they are to change so much as the current state of affairs.

I disagree that the modelling one is "very simple to fix", though. That would require a decent amount of effort to work around the problematic headpieces clipping as they weren't designed to cooperate with the Octoling's hairdo.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Well, for what it's worth, Octolings are/were playable by changing the save file's "Gender" value to 3 instead of 1 or 2 (Values may or may not be 0-ordered, forgive me for potentially being slightly wrong).

That being said, there is a problem where players that have an Octoling in their plaza get softlocked when entering the plaza, so there would need to be an update that fixes that first (Not necessarily difficult) before the Octolings became an option. There is also the problem of hat models. As the Octoling Hairstyle is vastly different to the other Inkling models, hats cause an obscene amount of clipping that devs would not want to see in a public release.
There's also the Octoling eyes, which don't look like the Inkling eyes. When the gender value is set to 2 (male Inkling is 0, female Inkling is 1), it just changes the hair while keeping the female Inkling's model otherwise. That's why the Octolings you fight have those goggles.

Azure_Kyte

Inkling
NNID
Azure_Kyte
Ah, so I was off by one. Thank you array indexing. And you're right, I missed the eyes :P

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Just changing the placement of head-gear on Octolings is relatively simple to do, compared to other things.
I still don't understand why people make it sound like such an impossible thing.

Cuddlefish

Pro Squid
NNID
Anastas
I think it was a feature originally planned for this game that got cut for whatever development reason (most likely time constraints); I have my doubts that it'll make its way to Splatoon 1, but I'd make any bet that it'll be a basic feature in the sequel.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
If they dont intend to make Octoling available for Multiplayer, then why did they update the Octoling-model in the August Update?
Let alone make a seperate Octoling model for Multiplayer (aka not the same model, that the SIngle Player Octolings use).
There would be no sense to that, if they arent going to be playable in the first place.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Wait, it's a totally different model? Like, with the purple-rimmed eyes and all?

While I don't think it's quite likely, a possibility for Octolings is that they don't wear headgear but get customizable pants and dresses. Like instead of the jungle hat, it becomes cargo pants on them. Eyewear, like glasses, would stay the same though. I doubt this is what they'll do; more likely, there'll be a separate 3-D model for if they wear hats.

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
Wait, it's a totally different model? Like, with the purple-rimmed eyes and all?

While I don't think it's quite likely, a possibility for Octolings is that they don't wear headgear but get customizable pants and dresses. Like instead of the jungle hat, it becomes cargo pants on them. Eyewear, like glasses, would stay the same though. I doubt this is what they'll do; more likely, there'll be a separate 3-D model for if they wear hats.
I agree; just making their pants change would just cause more controversy over clothing, since we have pants for Octolings, but none for Inklings? Plus, I doubt plenty could be converted without looking blatantly similar to one another. :P

Terabyte

Inkling Commander
NNID
PokeBoy99
Personally, I really hope not. Maybe for a certain mode, but I just want Inklings to stay the only playable characters. I think Octolings would take away from the game some.

Shuriblur

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Shuriblur
I'm not sure the Octolings would work with the single player mode as it is right now. I mean an Octoling facing the Octarian Army? Seems out of place.

Psycho_Wendigo

Resident World Devourer
NNID
PyschoWendigo
I'm still uncertain about whether or not it's coming, I've seen the new multiplayer Octoling model, but I wouldn't mind it, but wouldn't want it to be a permanent option

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
It simply means, the Multiplayer-Octolings, that we have seen in NWPlayers hack-videos, have their own model and DO NOT use the model as the Octolings you face in single player.

Creating new content from scratch is a much bigger effort, than simply changing placements.

chrisblass1

Pro Squid
NNID
Chrisblass1
i feel like its gonna happen sooner or later, we've been getting octo version of guns plus they have a multiplayer octoling model too.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Of course. It may be why it'll be a while. The idea of playable Octolings may not have crossed anyone's minds until the game came out and they became an ensemble darkhorse.

MintChipper

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TonyEH
I kinda want a Inklings vs. Octoling gamemode more than a cosmetic option I'll be bored of in a week, but what are the chances of that happening.

L95

Inkling
I kinda see it happening eventually, as to whether it happens in this game or Spla2n remains to be seen.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
I think it is clear Octolings will see a use in Multiplayer, still in this game.

Why else would they bother making a seperate Multiplayer-model for Octolings and even update it in the August update, giving the Octolings mouth animations for losing?
This effort would make no sense, if it wouldn't be used in some way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom