• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Do you think Splatoon will become a system seller?

A Squidding Success?

• Of course! Without a doubt.

Votes: 25 51.0%
  • Ehh, it will be alright.

Votes: 18 36.7%
  • Not really...

Votes: 6 12.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ikieri

Pro Squid
NNID
Mendozaz
Splatoon is beginning to become an extremely hype game this season and Nintendo is clearly doing their best to market it.
It even has its own bundle, so they're trying to use this as a system seller.
Do you guys think this will be successful? And if so why?

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
There are a lot of people who bought the Wii U because of this game.

Crucifigo

Pro Squid
NNID
Crucifigo
If competitive takes off that'll attract of a lot of serious players, and I'm sure plenty of them are willing to fork out for a Wii U considering the money people put into their PCs. I'm hoping that competitive tournaments will hit Twitch so I can watch people's techniques.

FuncDetail

Inkster Jr.
NNID
FuncDetail
I'm hoping that competitive tournaments will hit Twitch so I can watch people's techniques.
I am convinced that it will happen.

Regarding the thread at hand. It will most likely be for a few people. As said, the game will have a Wii U Bundle so that will most likely boost the sales of the console purchase due to this game only. I feel like some shooter fans on PC might be drawn toward the game due to gyro controls which are some sort of crossroad between regular console controls and mouse controls.

OmegaDivider

Squid Sisters Fanboy
NNID
OmegaDivider
Personally, I bought a Wii U for Splatoon.

Sadly, the Bundle is REALLY lacking in stuff for NA. If they sweetened it a bit then I could totally see it being a big system seller.

RoyLee

Inkling Commander
NNID
InfernoUprising
Just like @Crucifigo said, I think that this game has the capabilities to take off. I think that once the competitive scene takes off, the community, and the world will see. I plan on getting a capture card this summer so you can fully expect me to stream. Hopefully this game takes off just like smash did.

Terabyte

Inkling Commander
NNID
PokeBoy99
I don't expect it to rocket Wii U sells, but I do expect it to sell quite a bit. After all, there are people who have already bought a Wii U just for Splatoon and it's not even out yet. :P

Graff

I'm not funny D:
NNID
griffingraff
Comes down to competitiveness and longevity. It might not be an extreme hit right away, but as long as Ninty maintains Splat's marketing and update patches, it should do quite whale, mates.

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
Honestly I doubt it. While there are people here who bought a Wii U for Splatoon, they aren't really representative of the general population. It'll be a good game, but there will be relatively few people who buy a Wii U just for this game.

I'm hoping that competitive tournaments will hit Twitch so I can watch people's techniques.
Working on it. What we desperately need is a spectator mode, or else streaming tournaments will be very tough

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Zelda, Mario and Smash games are Nintendo's console sellers. So while Splatoon is the main reason I bought a Wii U, I don't think so. Smash itself didn't save the Gamecube from selling poorly and we are talking about the ~most competitive~ iteration of the series.

Osha

Full Squid
NNID
Oshawatt
I believe it'll sell 500k top. Sure, the reviews are favourable, but it doesn't mean it's gonna move a ton of units. If Smash and Mario Kart barely had an impact on the console, I don't think Splatoon will be the one to make it THE console to own.
Heck, when I went to get my copy last Saturday, there was a mother behind me who thought the WiiU was only the gamepad, so there's still a massive problem with the console's advertising.

MrRoidley

Full Squid
System seller? Definitely. But to the levels of MK8, Smash? Nope.
I believe that the series will be more of a system seller in future installments, though.

suavevillain

Inkling Cadet
It will do well but it won't be a major system seller. It will be a evergreen title due it doesn't have much other shooters on the console.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
Nah, Smash Bros. was probably Nintendo's best bet to push out consoles. We'll see though. Not really expecting Wii U sales to go up drastically though.

Nukichuu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Nukikero
In Japan yes but dunno about EU and NA. The hype seems bigger in Japan~

InkDaze

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Eyal9070
Yes and I think it will become one of Nintendo's biggest franchises, definitly predicting another game for the next console/phones/whatever

Mayday

Row, Row, Fight the Power!
NNID
MaydayBelieves
It might push some people over the edge to finally buy a Wii U, but not really a system seller. Not near Smash 4 or Mario Kart 8 levels.

Radi

Senior Squid
NNID
InfinityBeamX
Splatoon could convince some people to buy a Wii U, but I doubt that sales will rise a whole lot. Probably just a slight boost, which is still fine for Nintendo.

Pink

Inkster Jr.
NNID
KirbyCanvasCurse
I've been seeing a lot of people either buying or contemplating buying a Wii U because of Splatoon, so yes, I believe that it will sell quite a few systems at least.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Not really. I really doubt this will be the game that brings people in. Especially if Smash bros didn't sell that much.

With that said, Splatoon will be a game where people who already owned a wii u will enjoy by quite a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom