Do you think Splatoon will rotate two stages for both modes every four hours for now and forever?

CM2

Inkling Cadet
NNID
chenmaster2
If it's true does it bother you?

StayPuft

Pro Squid
NNID
cellularSP
I sincerely hope they eventually change it.

Either reduce the 4 hours to 2 hours, or add a third map into the 4 hour rotation. On multiple occasions now I've just simply turned the game off right after turning it on because I hate the map rotation and it's gonna be those maps for... 3 more hours, ugh. I know why the devs have it the way it is now, so you can choose specific weapons for the maps and so players can learn the maps easier... but at the same time I don't want to be fighting against E-Liters for four hours since Moray Towers is in the rotation.

I suppose private battles can help alleviate some of these woes, since you can choose whatever map you want and whatever mode you want, but it is still a bit irritating the way it is now.

BeanYak

Full Squid
NNID
Catman789
I'm still surprised that they have it like this in the first place. To be honest I doubt that they will change it, although if the map pool gets big enough, then they might consider 3 maps at a time.. I think a 2 hour rotation would be good, like StayPuft mentioned.

Pyritie

Full Squid
NNID
Pyritie
Thirding 2-hour rotation. Four feels too long to have to wait if a map you don't like is in the rotation.

Sitri

Full Squid
NNID
SitriStahl
1 or 2 hours seems reasonable enough. It's going to suck when Rainmaker is released, and we have to wait 8 hours to play a specific mode instead of 4. Not to mention that the rotations have been incredibly stale lately.

StrobeFlashLite

Inkling
NNID
strobeflashlite
1 or 2 hours seems reasonable enough. It's going to suck when Rainmaker is released, and we have to wait 8 hours to play a specific mode instead of 4. Not to mention that the rotations have been incredibly stale lately.
When Tower Control was released, I was bummed when the game relies on the same Ranked Server for both Tower Control and Splat Zones. If anything, the best we can hope for is separate servers for each of the game modes or as you said, shortening the time for rotation.

Nuddlmaus

Pro Squid
NNID
Nuddlmaus
I think more maps are better than shorter rotations but for game modes i would prefer also some kind of rotation like 3 Maps, for Turf War and 3 Maps for Ranked, but Ranked Mode should change randomly while map change.

Because (for example) Chargers are still valuable in Tower Control and Splat Zone so changing Mode isn't that bad, as long the same charger friendly map rotation is still going.

XxTheWhopperxX

Inkster Jr.
NNID
XxTheWhopperxX
Ever since the game's launch I've been hoping for a 2 hour rotation. As stated above I hate getting on the game then turning it off right away just because I don't like the maps. Plus the game loves to favor one map over the other so I'll sometimes play the same map 10 times in a row and it gets old quite quickly. It also seems like the rotation loves to put 2 tower controls right after each other instead of switching to splat zones.. And the fact that they have 3 maps for splatfest means they can easily do 3 maps in the rotation. Urgh. Splatoon. I love you but you still have some issues.

Psycho_Wendigo

Resident World Devourer
NNID
PyschoWendigo
I do think eventually 3 maps will be added to the rotation, as 3 maps are already available during Splatfest, While I hope for a faster rotation as well, especially when Rainmaker launches, I don't know if that will happen

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
When Tower Control was released, I was bummed when the game relies on the same Ranked Server for both Tower Control and Splat Zones. If anything, the best we can hope for is separate servers for each of the game modes or as you said, shortening the time for rotation.
Splatoon's player base isn't big enough to support so many different modes at the same time, though. Separating servers for each mode will only make matchmaking take a lot longer and it will only get worse with time since most people will eventually stop playing Splatoon.

BeanYak

Full Squid
NNID
Catman789
Splatoon's player base isn't big enough to support so many different modes at the same time, though. Separating servers for each mode will only make matchmaking take a lot longer and it will only get worse with time since most people will eventually stop playing Splatoon.
Wow, that's a really good point, I never thought about that. It reminds me of going through the gamemodes in COD servers and avoiding certain ones just because of the small numbers. I don't know if this actually is a problem for Splatoon right now because, as far as I know, it's selling like hot cakes, but it will inevitably be a problem in the future.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Wow, that's a really good point, I never thought about that. It reminds me of going through the gamemodes in COD servers and avoiding certain ones just because of the small numbers. I don't know if this actually is a problem for Splatoon right now because, as far as I know, it's selling like hot cakes, but it will inevitably be a problem in the future.
It is selling well, but the Wii U install base still is rather mediocre, unfortunately. I hope I am wrong but I feel like the community will eventually diminish to the point players will flock to one specific game mode (ranked most likely) and stay there. But hopefully Splatoon 2 will be close to be released by then!

Mr. Gency

Full Squid
NNID
Mister-Gency
I think the map rotations are fine considering the point made about the limited player base and that we can play on whatever map or mode we choose in private games.

Zoot

Inkling Commander
NNID
IveGotAMegaphone
Wow, that's a really good point, I never thought about that.
Yep, the map rotation stuff is all because Nintendo was expecting the game to sell very poorly - a new, weird IP on an ailing console? It's a recipe for disaster! They could get away with dividing the player base across several modes in popular games like Mario Kart 8, but not with Splatoon. (Last I heard though, Splatoon had sold 1.6m copies worldwide!)

3-map rotation is definitely coming, I figured they were just waiting until there were more maps released to make sure each rotation is significantly different to the last.

Drez

Pro Squid
NNID
neokrw
No since I will have to learn that map eventually anyway.

Beerox

Inkster Jr.
The way it is works fine for me. If I don't like the maps, too bad. I have to learn and adapt, and pick a good gear set for what I'm presented with.

1o2

Inkling Cadet
I think with the addition of RainMaker, they HAVE to shorten the rotations at least to 3 hours. However I there was map selection like MK8 (except without the DLC favoring), where everyone in the lobby picks a map, and then a map is randomly selected. This way, even if a map is heavily favored (ex: Walleye Warehouse is super popular), as long as one person chooses the cancerous Mall, there's still a chance for the minority's choice to be picked.

staindgrey

Inkling
NNID
staindgrey
I'm one of the very few out there who thinks the current map rotation setup is a brilliant idea. I'd like to think it'll stay forever (with an inevitable bump-up to three as more maps are introduced).

Most of my online multiplayer games get dull due to map selection, and funnily enough, restricting the map selection and changing it every four hours alleviates that problem. In Gears of War 2, I had to play Blood Drive. All. The. Time. I'd always be outvoted. Same with other maps I grew to hate, like Gold Rush, while maps I genuinely enjoyed, like Security, would commonly be outvoted by the ones I was forced to play way too often. By having the entire map selection available at any one time, and then randomly selecting a couple to pick from, they effectively gave us too much and too little at the same time.

But by telling us, very clearly, which maps are currently available in which modes, we can adequately spend our time where we want to spend it without the risk of being stuck with something we weren't expecting or don't like. Pacing the content keeps any of it from getting dull too fast, and makes each stage feel fresher by the time we get our hands on it. I imagine support will eventually have to wane, but for now, I think it's perfect for this game.

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
I feel confident they'll add at least a third map to the rotation; outside of Splatfests, in the lobby menu and waiting screen as well as the stages screen on the GamePad menu (in Inkopoplis), they have that extra space for a stage, even though they could've easily adjusted the graphics to make it look like otherwise. I think we'll also get a shorter (time-wise) rotation, too, although I'm not 100% confident on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom