Do you think Squad Battles will increase your rank?

Cuddlefish

Pro Squid
NNID
Anastas
So far, I haven't found any information stating whether or not this'll be the case, but it should be.

Frankly, I think working with a team of people you know is the only true way to measure skill in a game with such a strong need for teamwork, but that's clearly already not the case. However, working with things as they are now, Squad Battles should totally count towards your rank.

As an additional thought, shouldn't there be Squad Battles for Turf Wars? Shouldn't this also count towards your rank since being able to work as a team would actually be able to indicate your skill in Turf Wars?

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
I think there should be a separate rank for team ranked kinda like in League of Legends.

E-Liter Elite

Senior Squid
NNID
DroseraC
I think there should be a separate rank for team ranked kinda like in League of Legends.
League's execution of ranked is REALLY undesirable. League often gets teams and players stuck in certain areas. Lacking that awful promotion series function saves Splatoon from most of that mess but it's still not something to emulate. Imagine being matched against a bunch of As because your B- team is on a winning streak. No thanks!

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
League's execution of ranked is REALLY undesirable. League often gets teams and players stuck in certain areas. Lacking that awful promotion series function saves Splatoon from most of that mess but it's still not something to emulate. Imagine being matched against a bunch of As because your B- team is on a winning streak. No thanks!
I meant kinda like as in literally the only similarity is a separate rank. I never said anything about their hidden elo system...

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
I hope it's separate, but I kind of doubt it will be since they're already making Splat Zones and Tower Control share a rank. The thought of risking my TC rank has made me swear off SZ thanks to that.

E-Liter Elite

Senior Squid
NNID
DroseraC
I meant kinda like as in literally the only similarity is a separate rank. I never said anything about their hidden elo system...
It's hard to imagine one without the other for me, sorry.

But note UNLIKE ranked teams in League, these Squads don't seem to be officially made. You're just grouping without a title from what the screen caps we've seen show. Would you have a different rank based on every combination of your friends?

Sitri

Full Squid
NNID
SitriStahl
I think it will because the button for it specifies going into Ranked with friends.

It should be, but I doubt that will be the case.

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
It's hard to imagine one without the other for me, sorry.

But note UNLIKE ranked teams in League, these Squads don't seem to be officially made. You're just grouping without a title from what the screen caps we've seen show. Would you have a different rank based on every combination of your friends?
Good point, I didn't think of that. I guess you would have to have official teams to have a different team rank.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
NNID
RespawningJesus
I don't think it will act this way. Honestly, it is much easier to just have Ranked Solo give you a rank, since of course you have no official team system in game. Not only that, do you really want a ranked system in a mode where there is likely going to be a much smaller population playing in?

E-Liter Elite

Senior Squid
NNID
DroseraC
Good point, I didn't think of that. I guess you would have to have official teams to have a different team rank.
That said, official Squid Squads and a separate ranking for them WOULD ease getting placed up against coordinated opponents with uncoordinated allies.

There's no precedent though, AFAIK, in Nintendo.

Sitri

Full Squid
NNID
SitriStahl
That said, official Squid Squads and a separate ranking for them WOULD ease getting placed up against coordinated opponents with uncoordinated allies.

There's no precedent though, AFAIK, in Nintendo.
Teams won't match randoms. Groups of 2 will match with 3 other groups of 2, while teams of 4 will match with other TO4s or groups of 3+1 random.

E-Liter Elite

Senior Squid
NNID
DroseraC
Teams won't match randoms. Groups of 2 will match with 3 other groups of 2, while teams of 4 will match with other TO4s or groups of 3+1 random.
That last scenario is the one I was referencing.

Again, maybe this is just League leaving me with awful memories but the worst games were the ones where everyone else had queued as a group and you were used to fill in a spot.

There's no way Splatoon can be as toxic as League, thankfully due to the lack of an in game chat, but it's still not a fun situation to be put in to.

Sitri

Full Squid
NNID
SitriStahl
That last scenario is the one I was referencing.

Again, maybe this is just League leaving me with awful memories but the worst games were the ones where everyone else had queued as a group and you were used to fill in a spot.

There's no way Splatoon can be as toxic as League, thankfully due to the lack of an in game chat, but it's still not a fun situation to be put in to.
It's unlikely that you'll be the random put onto a team of 3 people who aren't trying to win, at least in the higher ranks.

E-Liter Elite

Senior Squid
NNID
DroseraC
It's unlikely that you'll be the random put onto a team of 3 people who aren't trying to win, at least in the higher ranks.
Yeah, you're right. Just having trouble divorcing the nightmare that is League from other online team games. This community isn't the League community, I'm just being pessimistic by assuming it will turn out the same.

It should at least level you up in squad battles imo. I don't want to waste my time leveling up in random battles lol
This seems like a certainty. There would be no reason for you to get nothing from them.

If anything, discussion has mostly been about how ranked squad games will affect your rankings.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
There is no 3+1, the only options are 2+2 and 4. Dunno if those can get paired against each other or not, a 4 would have the advantage over 2+2 but splitting them would likely make it too hard to find any matches at all.

E-Liter Elite

Senior Squid
NNID
DroseraC
There is no 3+1, the only options are 2+2 and 4. Dunno if those can get paired against each other or not, a 4 would have the advantage over 2+2 but splitting them would likely make it too hard to find any matches at all.
The screenshot I saw had a "trio squad" option next to the Twin Squad, iirc.

RespawningJesus

NNID
RespawningJesus
The screenshot I saw had a "trio squad" option next to the Twin Squad, iirc.
I would like to see this screenshot, since a majority of the screen shots I saw had only duo and full team icons.

RespawningJesus

NNID
RespawningJesus
This picture shows trio squad
Thanks for the screenshot. Honestly, I don't really get why they would have trio squads at all, since it is a very awkward amount of people to have in a match, unless the whole point of trio matches is just to have a 3v3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom