Do you think we will get more ink colors like gold or black?

CM2

Inkling Cadet
NNID
chenmaster2
In the Splatoon 2.0.0 update we got a new ink color which I dubbed it "Squid Girl Color". So do you think they will make more available for us?

Zero Revolution

Pro Squid
NNID
Zeedief123
Switch Friend Code
SW-8519-0178-2889
I don't doubt it, although I don't think gold or black would work particularly well. Maybe just different shades of already existing colors.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I want the cream color that was featured in one of JP's splatfests.
I'd also love Velvet Red, but that color looks a lot like blood so i won't see that happening anywhere near soon.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Gold and black work wonderfully together. Trust me. They are such contrasting colors you always know when you see an ally or a friend.

JuddTheCat

Inkling Cadet
They added the Light Blue ink color to the game, so it's possible.

The Japanese splatfest had white ink (it looked amazing with the orange ink too)

Misery

Pro Squid
NNID
Xijara
I keep wondering WHY we dont already have black ink. It's one of those colors you sort of expect when you think of, well, ink.

Gold sounds cool too.

Though, it's only a veeeeerrrrryyyyyy minor complaint, as far as I'm concerned. I'm just so, SO glad that the game is as colorful as it is. I'm so tired of "edgy" and "realistic" sorts.... so very tired of them. Nintendo at least knows what COLOR is. I'm always of the impression that if you took a more typical developer these days, and showed them a rainbow, their heads would explode.

Though I do find it a little odd that all these squids can just change their ink color whenever the heck they feel like it... but they also transform and can explode/dissolve without completely dying, so I guess it makes almost sense maybe somehow... or not...

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
I kind of agree that its curious the game doesn't already have black ink haha. Black ink is fairly standard for ink and pretty much the color most people would think of when it comes to ink. So it's curious that Nintendo hasn't given black as a choice. x) I'd like to see it. It would look nice with a lot of the colors we already have.

White would look good as well as a color. It'd be kind of interesting. Think of it as white out. Like you're whiting out the other team. :p Okay. I'll stop. But seriously, it would be a good color to have along with black.

Pyritie

Full Squid
NNID
Pyritie
Probably because black would be hard to see, since almost all of the stages start off with lots of black and grey everywhere.

It would also make it more difficult to judge depth, because you wouldn't be able to see shadows on it.

Don't we already have a sort of gold color though? The one paired with navy blue?

Newtonjar

Senior Squid
I think black would just look nasty to be honest, sure it would look nice with a few colors, but I would never be able to convince myself that I am not spewing sludge which to me is just gross.

ChibiDubtalia

Pro Squid
Gold ink would be pretty nice. Maybe with silver as part of comparison too. I also wonder about the ink colors that was used in the Story Mode of Splatoon that can be used for multiplayer, possibly including the Octoling's ink color as well.

Litagano Motscoud

Inkling Commander
NNID
Litagano
I keep wondering WHY we dont already have black ink. It's one of those colors you sort of expect when you think of, well, ink.

Gold sounds cool too.

Though, it's only a veeeeerrrrryyyyyy minor complaint, as far as I'm concerned. I'm just so, SO glad that the game is as colorful as it is. I'm so tired of "edgy" and "realistic" sorts.... so very tired of them. Nintendo at least knows what COLOR is. I'm always of the impression that if you took a more typical developer these days, and showed them a rainbow, their heads would explode.

Though I do find it a little odd that all these squids can just change their ink color whenever the heck they feel like it... but they also transform and can explode/dissolve without completely dying, so I guess it makes almost sense maybe somehow... or not...
I often see the complaint that modern shooters don't have enough color in them, but I honestly don't get it. They do have color in them. Just because it's not as pronounced as games like, say, TF2 or Splatoon (both with comical and unrealistic art styles, hence able to have more flashy palettes and make sense) doesn't mean they aren't colorful. Not to mention, Splatoon is a game whose base gameplay depends on colors, so you're comparing apples to oranges.

Misery

Pro Squid
NNID
Xijara
I often see the complaint that modern shooters don't have enough color in them, but I honestly don't get it. They do have color in them. Just because it's not as pronounced as games like, say, TF2 or Splatoon (both with comical and unrealistic art styles, hence able to have more flashy palettes and make sense) doesn't mean they aren't colorful. Not to mention, Splatoon is a game whose base gameplay depends on colors, so you're comparing apples to oranges.

I'm just going off of what I witness from games that I play myself, or watch others play. Either way, I'm going to see probably a very extensive amount of the game.

It's not that I think every game ever needs to be drenched in rainbow wackiness. But too many of them are grey, brown, a bit of green, some more grey, added brown, a splash of grey, and then maybe a little green/brown. Occaisionally there may be a red laser or an orange explosion. Briefly.

The only real change is when you get something like a jungle or forest area, where suddenly there's still all of those tendancies, but with a huge blob of green then pasted over it. Except, even then, it often just seems.... muted.

Granted, that's a bit of a sarcastic view on it, but that's my impression of not just shooters, but a huuuuuuuuuge number of major modern games these days. They're just very.... drab. Dull. Almost lifeless, in alot of ways. Now something like Splatoon, yes, based on colors and everything, but I notice that every part of the game is pretty vibrant BEFORE the ink starts spraying. The world doesnt have to be covered in the stuff for it to have some color to it. In all honesty, I wasnt really counting the ink too much when I made the comparison earlier. Moreso, I was thinking about how all the different areas look BEFORE that.

And it's not like it HAS to be cartoony for it to work. Another example that comes to mind is actually Just Cause 2, which I've played to death. If anything, that game is MORE vibrant than either of these. And it's definitely NOT going in an "animated" style, or anything like that. Yet it makes it all work very well nonetheless.

I mean, really, the real world isnt even close to being as colorless and drab as what's portrayed in so many major games these days, and they sure dont HAVE to be that way, yet still are... which is part of why it bugs me so much. And after all this time... I just get tired of looking at them. They all just look the same to me, now...

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
In regards to the black ink, I'm pretty sure it was demonstrated how it would look, along with white ink. I noticed that the black ink makes everything way too reflective to be able to judge terrain, so I can't see it working.

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
I think black ink should be a new color since that's the color ink's associated with sometimes. Not too sure about gold ink, though.

I'd also love Velvet Red, but that color looks a lot like blood so i won't see that happening anywhere near soon.
Regular red ink in the game already looks like blood to me. :P

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Black wouldn't really work. A lot of the stages include asphalt floors which would make identifying turf a little more difficult compared to the much brighter color pallet we have now. Also it goes a little against Splatoon's bright aesthetic.
Yellow does exist in online battles already and all gold would be is a slightly different shade.

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
This is interesting... I do believe that they will add new ink colors, no doubt about it, but I'm not sure about black and gold. If anything, I would imagine more combinations like the Splatfest colors. Black in my opinion seems a little dark for the game, and whenever I play the game, I want to eat frozen yogurt cause of all the colors that happen to register as frozen yogurt in my mind. (I'm weird, I know) and it feels fun? I can't describe the feeling when I take time to look at the bright colors. Black would not have the same effect on me,, it kinda goes against the bright and cheerful theme of the game.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
I think there'll be new ink colors...but black will not be one of them, for reasons mentioned above.

I think, more likely that there'll be new color combinations. For instance, there hasn't been a yellow-and-green color pair, or a blue-and-purple pair (though one has to be light and the other dark).

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
I think, more likely that there'll be new color combinations. For instance, there hasn't been a yellow-and-green color pair, or a blue-and-purple pair (though one has to be light and the other dark).
There is a light blue and purple combination in ranked (or at least squad) battles, and I have got to say that it looks wonderful. Probably one of my favorite combinations.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Looking back on it, black couldn't work due to the graphics engine. (Everything would be too reflective, thanks @MissingNumbers )
And gold would just be a different shade of yellow. You wouldn't get the "Gold Shine" effect the color is known for in games.

But more colors would be nice. I'm sure Nintendo will have more colors in the future. But please, more ranked colors. Seriously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom