Does anybody even USE motion controls?

Do u use them?

• Total voters

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I don't think it's rare at all to use split Joycons. It's easily the most precise and anyone who has every played a shooter on PC will be able to learn it quickly.

maru

Inkling
Stick all the way.

I’m not a PC gamer, so I guess I’m not too familiar with the motion stuff.

I realize that it puts me at a disadvantage, but for some reason, I just couldn’t get used to it. Aiming up and down just felt too awkward.

Splatoon was one of my first shooters though, so I’ve never really had the choice between stick and motion in the first place anyway.

MeTaGross

Inkling Cadet
I have used motion controls since I started the first game, as I found them intuitive and easy to use. When I got Spla2n I continued to use motion controls, but it was a rough start to the game for me. Because I was used to using the Wii U gamepad I had to change the control sensitivity to the lowest it could possibly go, but I still had issues. Over time I adjusted and now I have motion sensitivity at +1. Like all things, it takes time to learn and adjust, but it is far superior to stick when learned.

Also, playing with split joycons is weird.

saint_kthulhu

Full Squid
First thing I did when I got the game was turn off motion controls...

Then when I was reading up on how to improve it was heavily recommended to switch to motion controls.

So I gave it ago. Really hated it at first. It was like relearning the game. But it has helped a lot.

To get the most out of almost any shooter weapon, motion is the way to go. If you’re gonna stay with sticks you’re pretty much limited to brushes and rollers, and possibly a few other little-accuracy-required type weapons.

Kai.E

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-8062-1940-0630
I've never touched stick controls in splatoon. I'm so used to them I can never go back to sticks again. I remember a couple years ago I went to a cousins house and him and my brother were playing CoD, and they invited me to play. Me first instinct was to use motion controls and I looked like a total idiot to them. I played one round then quit. I'm never going to use stick controls again.

DualBlade25

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Haser
Switch Friend Code
SW-0688-5884-4388
I just feel that they're really awkward to use
but thats just me
When I first played, I hated motion so I leatned the stick controls. Its good for getting the hang of things. I then made some friends who said I should learn to use motion controls before i became a custom to the stick. Now I am good at motion and suck at stick controls

Emperor

twitter.com/Former_Eminence
I honestly wish there was at least one team in the competitive field that only used stick controls and were extremely successful with it. It would encourage more people to just play what they want to without feeling like motion controls are such a heavy requirement in order to be good at the game.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I mean, that's like expecting a soccer team wearing regular shoes to do as good as other soccer teams. Using motion controls just gives you an advantage.

Kausus

Inkling
NNID
Kausus
Switch Friend Code
SW-3782-1311-5237
i used nothing but stick in splat1 and motion controls took a while to adjust to for spla2n. i find that my aim and movement overall has improved since i started using gyro, and i dont expect to go back to using stick.

i guess the reason i never used them in splat1 is because of how clunky it felt to have to swing my whole wiiu gamepad around. i couldnt invest in a pro controller at the time, and even though i have one now, i don't use it for spla2n - rather, i play with split joycons. i find it the easiest and most comfortable way to use motion controls. (some argue that having both hands on the controller helps keep your aim steady, but it just adds discomfort and does the opposite for me.)

maybe in time i'll get used to using gyro with the pro controller, but for now, split joycon gyro is where it's at for me personally.

though, none of this means you can't be a good player while using stick, though i do think motion controls would give you an advantage if you were able to adjust to them.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
I honestly never played Splatoon without motion controls. That was more because I was too lazy to turn it off and it seemed pretty fun, so I kinda stuck with it. I mean, it doesn't really help with my superior lack of aiming abilities, but it does give me a few advantages over pure stick controls, most notably being able to "snap onto" targets really fast, which is the closest you can get to mouse + keyboard on a computer. There are a few videos that compare the two if you want to have some more elaborate explanation why motion controls are objectively superior as well. Please note that it doesn't mean you can't do well with sticks, but expect pretty much everyone in the highest competitive ranks to be motion control users.

One thing I'd like to add for Splatoon 2 - the Joycon gyro has been all kinds of iffy for me, and the controller's design made it easy for me to activate my specials on accident, or do other weird stunts that weren't intended or useful. The Pro Controller has a larger range of movement for the sticks and feels more precise, and honestly, a lot more ergonomic than the Joycons and I can only recommend upgrading to one eventually.

MasterMarine

Inkling
NNID
MasterMarine
Switch Friend Code
SW-4811-2485-9604
Better question is, does anyone even use the switch wired/wireless controller? Because there is no need and no reason to use motion controls with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom