Does anyone else have lackluster teammates.

Ace.

Inkling
NNID
TheRealAcem8
I don't like the idea of always blaming my team for losses as it's a team effort and sometimes I make bad plays to let them get the zone for 10-15 seconds but I seem to always get put with lackluster teammates, I started off in C- obviously and managed to carry myself to B- but now I can't seem to carry myself enough vs 4 people. I'm dropping around 20-25 kills per game with 3-5 deaths, the majority of the kills im getting are onsite and contribute to us pushing the zone or getting a zone but I always seem to get put with people going 0-8 or not really pushing or doing anything, anyone else getting this kinda bad luck or is it just me overthinking.

Alus

Senior Squid
NNID
starsauce
I feel this way too.

Be wary however that it's a illusion as well. You will feel like your teammates are holding you back from that next rank when you just might not be next rank material.

You have to be able to take advantage of anything your teammate does, if you aren't you aren't contributing as much as you could be. If that makes sense.

The moment you say (well I can't do anything they are useless) you are at your limit.

Of course your team could all literally do nothing, making everything I say moot.

It can be subjective.

Kirby Phelps (PK)

Full Squid
NNID
PKGaming
Whenever I'm on a serious losing streak, sometimes I wonder if my teammates are really to blame or if I'm just doing something wrong. Particularly in Splat Zones, when we're being pressured and pushed back by the other team, I try my hardest to take the others out, but they always get me instead because they've got numbers. And I think to myself, why wasn't anyone helping me!? What the heck was everyone else doing? But then I also think, maybe if I was a sharper shooter, I might've gotten them myself...

And in Turf War, many times this has happened. I spread plenty of ink around the stage on my own. If someone gets in my way, I take them out and continue spreading ink, hardly dying at all. I think "Man, I'm rocking this so hard." But then at the end of the match, I look down at the Gamepad and see we got wreckt. What the heck was everyone else doing!!?

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
Whenever I'm on a serious losing streak, sometimes I wonder if my teammates are really to blame or if I'm just doing something wrong. Particularly in Splat Zones, when we're being pressured and pushed back by the other team, I try my hardest to take the others out, but they always get me instead because they've got numbers. And I think to myself, why wasn't anyone helping me!? What the heck was everyone else doing? But then I also think, maybe if I was a sharper shooter, I might've gotten them myself...

And in Turf War, many times this has happened. I spread plenty of ink around the stage on my own. If someone gets in my way, I take them out and continue spreading ink, hardly dying at all. I think "Man, I'm rocking this so hard." But then at the end of the match, I look down at the Gamepad and see we got wreckt. What the heck was everyone else doing!!?
Honestly on that first point it seems like you're trying to 'do something' and overextending into their pressure line rather than just not being a sharp enough shooter. I can't really say whether that's true or not due to not seeing you play, but a desperation play to try and take them out should be avoided in favor of just staying alive in most cases.

As for turf war, just remember spreading ink and killing who you run into alone isn't enough. It will get you on top of the scoreboard, but if you don't keep an eye on flanks and stuff your team will get flanked and destroyed pretty quickly. Just dedicate a bit extra to that if you see that happening to you more often and you should do fine.

As for OP, look for ways you could position yourself better to prevent pushes and focus strongly on that if you're good at taking the zone. If you were doing as well consistently as you say you were, you'd be put with decent enough players enough to push yourself up to A rank, as most A rank players don't score that many kills consistently at all. Also remember, killing isn't the only way to beat someone in Splatoon, with pressure games often being a lot safer and more effective than trying to go for a kill.

yes, there is some luck with being put with players that will play well, but think of it like this: if your play is well above the level of every player of this rank, you should win the games where you have good teammates and where you have teammates who are as good as the other team, and still win some games where your team is somewhat worse. If you're stuck at the rank, take a breather and come back a little later when your emotions are stable, and if you still can't, it's time to look in the mirror at your own play. It's much more likely you're making some mistakes sometimes that throw the game rather than consistently being paired with bad players.

Kirby Phelps (PK)

Full Squid
NNID
PKGaming
Honestly on that first point it seems like you're trying to 'do something' and overextending into their pressure line rather than just not being a sharp enough shooter. I can't really say whether that's true or not due to not seeing you play, but a desperation play to try and take them out should be avoided in favor of just staying alive in most cases.
But what good is staying back and keeping yourself alive when they're in control and the counter is quickly ticking down? In situations like that, I don't have time to be defensive. They're the ones defending what they've already got and they're trying to keep us back.

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
But what good is staying back and keeping yourself alive when they're in control and the counter is quickly ticking down? In situations like that, I don't have time to be defensive. They're the ones defending what they've already got and they're trying to keep us back.
There is no good if you're more likely to die than not. Even a trade does more for the enemies than you in that case. You're right, they have the advantage, so why give them more of an advantage by trying to be a hero? You're a jump point, you can watch flanks, you can punish people overextending, you can build up your special while doing all of this. You'll be more of a hero doing those things by staying alive than you will be sacrificing yourself in a slim gamble for the point(s). Now obviously if the timer is down really low, you do what you have to do, but that's why I said in most cases.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
One thing which happens way too often for my taste is the following scenario: My team gets a good start and dominates the zone(s), timer goes down to 50-70. Then comes the inevitable point when I get splatted. Suddenly the enemy takes over almost the complete map, we can't claim it back and lose it in one run. That's super-annoying, because I get the feel the only way for me to win matches is to X-0 :(

EDIT
Just happened to have one of the worst matches yet. A kraken took out all four of our players when we were leading 11-100. Guess what happened...

Last edited:

ZeroParadox

Senior Squid
NNID
ZeroParadox
People are always going to tell me that as long as I'm doing my job, the team will be fine. And I understand that. Every pillar of the team needs to be solid enough to carry us to victory, and making excuse for why I'm not strong enough is no exception. Okay.

But I just finished playing on ranked today after watching three people literally jump into a roller.

Read that again. I didn't say "three people got caught by a roller", I didn't say "three people failed to jump over the roller". I'm saying three people jumped off the Oil Rig sniper spot into a roller that wasn't even looking at them. I finished this game as 12-3. I remember seeing a score of 5-11.

So done. (With bad players, because I like inkbrush and good players too much.)

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
People are always going to tell me that as long as I'm doing my job, the team will be fine. And I understand that. Every pillar of the team needs to be solid enough to carry us to victory, and making excuse for why I'm not strong enough is no exception. Okay.

But I just finished playing on ranked today after watching three people literally jump into a roller.

Read that again. I didn't say "three people got caught by a roller", I didn't say "three people failed to jump over the roller". I'm saying three people jumped off the Oil Rig sniper spot into a roller that wasn't even looking at them. I finished this game as 12-3. I remember seeing a score of 5-11.

Honestly, that sounds Hilarious enough to warrant losing to see. I'd be yelling "HOLY **** WHAT ARE YOU DOING" and laughing my *** off if I saw three people jump down into a roller for no reason.

Alus

Senior Squid
NNID
starsauce

Dude I'm starting to get used to it. I got pushed all the way back to C rank from B like twice now. I've had teams that would super jump to spawn and pick up small pockets of ink. Or people that super jump to the guy in the other teams spawn only to die. But I have never heard of THAT.

Anyways I just had a game where I went 17-3 and a teammate went 14-5 and we still could have lost.

I'm doing something wrong getting 3 triple kills like this and still getting close to losing. But I still feel like my team could take better advantage of this.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys

D-did that actually happen? How did they die to a roller that wasn't looking at them? Did you win anyway?
Sorry, I just read that and couldn't stop laughing for like five minutes straight. Especially when I pictured your teammates as Lemmings lining up to jump off a cliff to their paint-rollery deaths.

But on the topic, I'm generally not that good (great on Mackerel (Seekers & .52 Gal Deco are so useful), terrible on Walleye & Underpass when we don't have control (try to take the zone>get sniped, try to splat the sniper>get flanked from the zone, rinse (or don't, since Inklings dissolve in water) and repeat until teammates manage a push or we lose), okay otherwise), not jump-into-a-roller bad (maybe superjump into one though), but not that far above it (but I still reached B rank somehow). But sometimes I feel like, not so much my teammates suck (usually not the case), just that we're completely out of sync, like I'm trying to take the splat zone/off the sniper/keep that damn sniper away from the center by myself at times. It wouldn't be so bad if there were some way of communicating (besides C'mon! and Booyah!) with teammates, so I could maybe say "Hey I'm gonna go try shooing the sniper someone please help me out here," or some way to practice for ranked (like the single player Octoling levels work as decent Turf War practice; not great, but it helped me) so I don't feel ike (as much) of a liability.
Or maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

ZeroParadox

Senior Squid
NNID
ZeroParadox
D-did that actually happen? How did they die to a roller that wasn't looking at them? Did you win anyway?
I really hope that didn't happen, that I'm just somehow remembering this in the worst possible way.

I remember the first guy, I paintbrushed up to the spot and he followed. A roller was going to work on the zone and I wasn't going to get him from there. The guy comes up to me and I'm like "okay, if this guy goes after him, I can sneak up on him and-"

Then he jumps down before I finish the thought right as the roller is finished making a turn around the wall?barricade? that you can see from the spot and jumps into the path. At this point I'm like "Wow, nice dude." and I'm shaking my head.

What happened next might not have happened right then and there, I don't trust myself since I'm trying to repress the memory, but I know for sure that two super jump icons were there and I was like "Okay, these guys can help me deal with the roller." So I wait the second to get down there, throwing out a sprinkler to be doing something - the moment they land they just walk right off and he turns on them while dealing with my sprinkler and is like "aye" and they both die. I was so sure that two people couldn't mess this up so I jumped down just to the right of them right as this happened and now I'm trying to throw my hands up in the air. I get in three frustrated swings before he manages to roll me over because I backed myself into the corner near the ramp and didn't think I would need to jump.

So even if it didn't happen in a row, I'm absolutely sure it happened all within the same match. No we did not win. I waited for the scoreboard to load, saw that the second best score was 5-12, and then sat in the lobby trying not to be upset.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
I really hope that didn't happen, that I'm just somehow remembering this in the worst possible way.

I remember the first guy, I paintbrushed up to the spot and he followed. A roller was going to work on the zone and I wasn't going to get him from there. The guy comes up to me and I'm like "okay, if this guy goes after him, I can sneak up on him and-"

Then he jumps down before I finish the thought right as the roller is finished making a turn around the wall?barricade? that you can see from the spot and jumps into the path. At this point I'm like "Wow, nice dude." and I'm shaking my head.

What happened next might not have happened right then and there, I don't trust myself since I'm trying to repress the memory, but I know for sure that two super jump icons were there and I was like "Okay, these guys can help me deal with the roller." So I wait the second to get down there, throwing out a sprinkler to be doing something - the moment they land they just walk right off and he turns on them while dealing with my sprinkler and is like "aye" and they both die. I was so sure that two people couldn't mess this up so I jumped down just to the right of them right as this happened and now I'm trying to throw my hands up in the air. I get in three frustrated swings before he manages to roll me over because I backed myself into the corner near the ramp and didn't think I would need to jump.

So even if it didn't happen in a row, I'm absolutely sure it happened all within the same match. No we did not win. I waited for the scoreboard to load, saw that the second best score was 5-12, and then sat in the lobby trying not to be upset.
Ah, it's fine to be upset if you got stuck with a team that was that bad (or just new, either/or really). Sometimes exceptionally bad teammates happen to you. I've seen (and been on) plenty of those in Turf Wars (some managed to get 0 points, sometimes despite splatting people. I'm still trying to figure out how that's possible).

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
Ah, it's fine to be upset if you got stuck with a team that was that bad (or just new, either/or really). Sometimes exceptionally bad teammates happen to you. I've seen (and been on) plenty of those in Turf Wars (some managed to get 0 points, sometimes despite splatting people. I'm still trying to figure out how that's possible).
if you D/c midmatch it still shows your K/D but it sets your score to 0 (before bonus, so if their side wins they get 300).

Boidoh

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Boidoh
I'll copy and paste what I said on another thread here.

"I recently have blamed my self for my team's losses. On stages like Blackbelly Skatepark, I usually stand on the high ledge on the side and then quick-scope scrubs. I get aout 12 or so kills in the first minute or so, preventing the opposing team from taking over. However, once I get rekt my whole team falls apart.... Since I'm not there quick-scoping scrubs, my whole team just falls into disarray, and we ultimatly lose the match....

I'm not sure whether that's just my fault, or it's the team. I'd say it's mines because I wasn't supposed to get rekt, but at the same time, my team should be able to stand their own without me.

I went from B+ all the way to C+ today, and it's all because I got hit once, then the whole team just falls apart - every single time."

PremiumFootwear

Full Squid
NNID
PremiumFootwear
I'll copy and paste what I said on another thread here.

"I recently have blamed my self for my team's losses. On stages like Blackbelly Skatepark, I usually stand on the high ledge on the side and then quick-scope scrubs. I get aout 12 or so kills in the first minute or so, preventing the opposing team from taking over. However, once I get rekt my whole team falls apart.... Since I'm not there quick-scoping scrubs, my whole team just falls into disarray, and we ultimatly lose the match....

I'm not sure whether that's just my fault, or it's the team. I'd say it's mines because I wasn't supposed to get rekt, but at the same time, my team should be able to stand their own without me.

I went from B+ all the way to C+ today, and it's all because I got hit once, then the whole team just falls apart - every single time."
Ah, blackbelly skatepark. I was actually just talking about that map on another thread, my strategy is almost identical to yours too I'd imagine. I use the jet squelcher since it has good range, painting ability, and the splash wall. I stand up on the side ledge overlooking both the halfpipe on the enemy side and the center of the map. I'm assuming this is your spot too. I place the splash wall between the two walls in the halfpipes to zone out the enemy and also paint the tiny bit of the enemy zone I can see to keep them from owning it. This strategy is fantastic, and it will make or break matches for me.

Just like you said though, if I die and lose that spot, the enemy can very quickly gain ground and take over. I don't personally contribute it to my team being bad, more to the fact that with the ability to flank a competent team can easily take over. Especially in the B or higher ranks. I'm a B rank as well. I assume that my teammates see me in that spot and figure that I've got it covered, so they keep on keeping on wherever they are, and once the enemy has got me it's too late. That being said, I've managed to retake that spot many times and still win after getting killed there a few times. I want to try to find some other roles to fill in that map now so that I can be acutely aware of my teammates camping there and know to cover them when things go awry.

Personally, I think the problem with ranked battle right now is that players either don't have any strategy for the maps they play, or they only know one and don't have a backup plan for when the enemy has a strong counter or all their teammates are using the same plan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom