Does anyone else like playing solo more than in a squad?

Smashling79

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Linkmaster3000
How many of you out there feel more comfortable playing solo more? I mean squads are fun and teamwork is easier, but I just like playing solo more. I recently quit my squad because I just wasn't into playing with them rather then playing with other people.

DekuKitty

Pro Squid
NNID
SkyeHunter
I mean I love playing with my squad, and it makes communicating much easier, but at least in solo que you aren't constantly being paired up with squads of S+ players who proceed to trample over you like your nothing but pesky ants.

eerie

Inkling
NNID
EerieBat
i'm a newer player and not in a squad at all, but i can imagine that playing solo takes away all of the stress that comes with being in the squad to begin with.
yeah, communicating and teamwork CAN be easier, but that whole territory also comes with the pressure of wanting to do better for your team (Since you know them better, perhaps more personally), they're likely taking it more seriously, and they generally expect whatever skill level out of you.
most people who play with randoms generally expect the worst out of their teammates. Which doesn't justify playing at your worst on purpose by any means, but its definitely less stressful if you happen to mess up or miss something haha.

i think this applies to anything though ;O
having said that, there are tons of positives in playing with a squad, and i'm sure there are plenty of them who are not-so-serious and more laid back and who won't give you hell if you have a bad match.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
i'm a newer player and not in a squad at all, but i can imagine that playing solo takes away all of the stress that comes with being in the squad to begin with.
yeah, communicating and teamwork CAN be easier, but that whole territory also comes with the pressure of wanting to do better for your team (Since you know them better, perhaps more personally), they're likely taking it more seriously, and they generally expect whatever skill level out of you.
most people who play with randoms generally expect the worst out of their teammates. Which doesn't justify playing at your worst on purpose by any means, but its definitely less stressful if you happen to mess up or miss something haha.

having said that, there are tons of positives in playing with a squad, and i'm sure there are plenty of them who are not-so-serious and more laid back and who won't give you hell if you have a bad match.
Yeah, if your squad isnt too competitive... like, sometimes I'll get much longer losing streaks playing squad matches but the person(s) I'm playing with are chill so we just have a good laugh about it and keep playing. Even if I lose more I get frustrated less because I've got someone to share in my turmoil. haha

Smashling79

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Linkmaster3000
I personally like solo more because my squad got too competitive and almost all of them are at S rank. I'm a B+ and I'm just semi competitive meaning I like playing people at my own level. (Not too easy and not too hard)if I kept playing with them in Squads I would just be demolished by other S players. However in regular ranked I'm playing with B's and maybe a few A's who are at my skill level which is less stressful and more fun.

cleosplatra

Inkling
NNID
bobogoat

You're right, there's plenty of squads who just wanna play for fun~ Me and my friends team up in ranked a lot, it's just fun having someone to get salty with

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
Problem with solo is that it's a total crapshoot what type of team you'll get. If there were a way to stay teamed up with certain players (or friend players while in multiplayer) after you left a lobby, it wouldn't be so bad. I usually don't remember to go through the list of people I played with to pick out the five or ten decent players I run in to after a couple hours of playing. They really should make it easier for player to hook up with each other in game. That's how I find a lot of friends in other multiplayer games: you just run in to a group of people you get on with and add each other on the spot.

Smashling79

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Linkmaster3000
Problem with solo is that it's a total crapshoot what type of team you'll get. If there were a way to stay teamed up with certain players (or friend players while in multiplayer) after you left a lobby, it wouldn't be so bad. I usually don't remember to go through the list of people I played with to pick out the five or ten decent players I run in to after a couple hours of playing. They really should make it easier for player to hook up with each other in game. That's how I find a lot of friends in other multiplayer games: you just run in to a group of people you get on with and add each other on the spot.
I do that a lot during Splatfest! You find 3 other people who are really in sync with you and you get on a killer win streak with them. Then you get so in sync with them you start spamming booyah's to each other lol.

Bazbot

Inkling
NNID
LaSantaTrinidad

Now, before I rain all over your parade, I'm a WildCard player which basically means I'm not a squads player, even though I like it because, *cough* I'm an S rank player, I hate turf war, and can't lose my rank in squad battles. I remember when I just connected to ranked battles the moment I hit level 10. I ditched turf war and haven't played it since. (7 months ago).

Now on to your idea, now looking at the whole one team forever deal, I guessed it was excellent, but a few things wrong with it.

1; Lag, matchups and more, It takes quite a while to take atleast 3 people from America, pair them up with 5 Japanese players, and then sorting out the teams, then keeping those direct teams, and doing the same thing again when more players shift in the circulation, there could also be a point where one team collects different players that are high ranked, now we're taking the squads idea now, then S+ ranked people could go against C- ranked people because there is now no such thing as C lobbies or S+ lobbies.

2. OverPowered teams, Now let's take the entire matchmaking concept of Splatfest, and then adding it to ranked and turf war... It's extremely possible for a few teams to build up super competitive people, and then those people just staying with that one team. Making even more random rage from random people.

3. Unneeded Tension (cnt no.2)
Let's name a squid person n0oB.

n0oB is flowing through the levels and finally gets to level 10 to where he can finally play ranked. n0oB is expecting a turf war with a little more difficulty. Until a team of C+s shows up and tension builds, n0oB is now tense and is ready for nothing. n0oB loses the battle.

n0oB is mad.

Spiderface

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Spiderface1992
I really enjoy playing solo, but I think I like squads more just cause I get less frustrated with losing streaks. Like if I'm playing alone and sucking, it's just depressing, but if I'm playing with someone it's still fun. And you can share each others suffering xD

StayPuft

Pro Squid
NNID
cellularSP
I have no friends that play splatoon anymore so

yeah solo queue is pretty great yeah!!

(I can't actually give a good answer because I've never played squad matches)

GirlyMii

Senior Squid
NNID
Miipopal
Both have their benefits. I play solo a majority of the time. One thing about squads is you don't have to worry about your rank. I also like communicating with friends in squads (if you are able). You really learn each other's play styles and have fun doing so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom