• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Does ranking matter?

Shadowcat

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Shadowcat96
I get a lot of players telling me, I'm the higher rank so I'm better than you!!! That's not the case my friend. From how Splatoon works as a game, It's highly team base where you'll need a team and syn to win a battle so don't expect going all lonewolf mode and except to take on the whole team. From what areas are inked, to Layouts, position control, etc. Some say a better player knows how to position and syn with his team at all times, some would say just git gud lol, getting a lower/higher rank is from the team work you put up whether your team is bad, good, bad syn or whatever. Keep trying, the game is still FRESH! learn what works on certain game modes, maps, and look what the opponents weapons are! you might can take some advantage. STAY FRESH!

itisRag

friendly neighborhood rag
NNID
itisrag
I don't think the ranking is extremely legit. It's a halfway decent indicator of how someone is doing, but there's a lot of serendipity and variables involved in contributing to how matches play out.

tokyodown

Full Squid
NNID
Tokyodown
Splatoon is all team based. Your individual performance does matter, but there's a million factors that go into a team winning. The one consistent way teams win in SZ is positional control, and even if you have a great game, sometimes their positioning is so good that it doesn't matter. I still don't understand the reasoning behind only have SZ used in ranked, but whatever...TW is a much better indicator of a persons skill in this game. STAY FRESH

Sigakure

Inkster Jr.
NNID
martinengo
So far, the ranking it's not as legit as it should be, not until we can make organize battles with our friends as teams. The luck factor is present right now. but anyways, being higher rank means you are going to play with better players or at least decent players, an A+ doesn't necessarily mean he is better than A- or B+ (at least not yet), but a player who is A+ must be a decent player, the same for a A- or A. I would even say a B+ should be a decent player, but as I said, luck still present, especially regarding to weapon combinations within all the members of a team.

Anyways, the game will get way better when we can choose what team to belong to.

And I agree with tokydown, every type of game mode should have t's own ranking. I really like Turf Warf more than Splat Zones (at least right now), because you are compensated properly even if your team it's not really good, I generally score 1200 or more, I consider myself a really good turf war player, even if I lose I don't mind that much, but I get compensated for doing what I'm suppose to do, and I tend to get +400 points than every other player in the match. On Splat Zones I do my job as well, I'm still improving, but I consider myself a decent player, but this mode doesn't compensate how good you do, regardless of your team, which as I said, sometimes can be bad players or the weapon combination it's bad between the members of a team (like 3 chargers and 1 roller, for example)

Shadowcat

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Shadowcat96
Yes! I've been enjoying this game sense the release and I'm having a blast! but anyways yes we currently have the luck fact of being paired with good, decent or just plain bad players, which is a bit annoying, I was A- but currently B from teammates getting rect.. Still it's a Team base game and from my understanding, having control is the best way for any team out there and I know mostly everyone knows that but it's just that certain weapons have advantages on certain parts of the map. I've been seeing the blaster soo much in Urchin Underpass in Rank because of the radius of the blast can stop the opponents from getting close to the middle. everyone is finding ways to improve there game! can't wait and see how the meta game will change later on. STAY FRESH!

PremiumFootwear

Full Squid
NNID
PremiumFootwear
To me, ranks don't mean a whole lot, but I have found that as I've risen up from C to B the players on my team are more competent on the whole, which is nice. It was pretty awful at first, I saw players play splat zone like it was turf war and those matches are never fun. Winning still does have a certain luck factor to it, but I think that can be minimized with the right playstyle. Of course this all my opinion, but I've found that taking the support role and acting as a spawn point for my teammates gives me a much better shot at winning across the board. That's just how I tend to play though, so it could just be me. I love using the jet squelcher to out range my enemies and the splash wall to lock them out of areas.

JuddTheCat

Inkling Cadet
Higher rank = you play Splat Zone a lot.
Since this is a team based game, it's really hard to get up in rank anyway if your teammates aren't good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom