• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Does the new burst bomb nerf render the vanilla E-liter obsolete?

pooplooser

Full Squid
A quick yet possibly complicated question.
The next patch will make it where you can chain a maximum of 2 burst bombs, instead of 4. As if they were not already inconsistent enough I usually find myself using 5 or even 7! to splat flankers.
To me, 1 less burst bomb makes a TON of difference and is bad for silly snipers like me who sometimes spam burstbombs into the front-lines.
Seems like I'm going to have to switch to the custom E-liter 3k Scope, I might as well. Any thoughts?

SciDan

Inkling
NNID
SciDan
That is a complicated, the patch clearly targets those who try to continually throw burst bomb randomly at opponents until splat. The patch notes suggest to me that the developers want players to be more accurate with their burst bomb throws. The blast radius of actual damage from the burst bomb is reduced, but the internal radius of maximum and medium damage is greater. Also this is supported by the reduction of the knockback from burst bombs.

For my point of view I mainly use burst bombs as a defensive tool and I always aim to direct hit my opponents which generally results in myself using 2-3 burst bombs to splat. I think practicing directing hitting with burst bombs is needed instead of changing weapons without burst bombs. I also notice that throw a burst bomb in front opponents from cover can also deter them long enough to super jump away.

I am not saying don't change weapon, but before the update try a different approach to burst bombs and if you cannot get that get the 2-3 bomb kill or as a deterrent for oncomers, then change to Custom E-litre.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
This is probably exactly why the Burst Bombs are getting nerfed in the first place. We're so quick to blame Nintendo for the nerf but fail to realize why it's being done. E-Liters and Carbon Rollers have been widely known to abuse Burst Bombs. The abuse of Burst Bombs is probably what led to Nintendo making the decision to knock them down to only two per full tank. To be quite frank.... E-Liters were not meant to be on the frontlines. The E-Liter is like the Hydra. We are both supposed to be supporting our teams from the back. Vanilla E-Liters have taken to going to the frontlines and merely spamming Burst Bombs. Essentially... Many vanilla E-Liters are Burst Bomb mains and the actual E-Liter is a sub weapon. Simply put... If people hadn't heavily abused the Burst Bombs, they probably wouldn't be getting nerfed.

Does it make the E-Liter obsolete? No. It only makes it "obsolete" for Burst Bomb mains. Players who relied heavily upon the Burst Bomb and can't actually use the E-Liter will switch away from E-Liters entirely. People who can actually use it will continue to use the E-Liter or the Custom variant. It will knock the number of E-Liters down but serious mains for the E-Liter will continue and will relearn what they need to relearn. It is entirely possible to survive as an E-Liter without the bombs. Think about it.... Custom E-Liters survive. Most of the time, they don't have their Kraken ready and have learned how to defend themselves with the E-Liter. In all honesty... I think most vanilla E-Liters need to learn to defend without relying upon their Burst Bombs.

Practice direct hits with Burst Bombs. Two direct hits is enough to splat so you won't have to spam 7 bombs like before. Practice combining your bombs and the charger. Use them strategically instead of in panic. Shoot your opponent and toss a bomb at them. Even just a small charge combined with one or two Burst Bombs could very well be enough to splat someone without spamming the bombs. This won't make serious E-Liters leave. It'll just help teach people how to actually defend rather than rely on abusing Burst Bombs.

Dylan26

Full Squid
Content Team
NNID
Dylan26
imo i think itll be worse for 3k but we'll just have to have as good aim with burst bombs as with our shots ;)

also i think burst cancel weapons (carbon, sloshers) will get buffed by this 3k burst bomb nerf

sammich

Inkling Cadet
only if you used too many burst bombs.

the weapon still has the echo locator (which even got slightly buffed from cold-blooded's nerf) and they still can throw enough burst bombs in a single ink tank to confirm a KO.

all this nerf did is curb the kit's brokenness.

chubbypickle

Inkling Cadet
carbon and eliters basically shouldn't have 2 mains even though one is technically a sub, now its more of what it should be..........the last weeks in s ranked the carbon rollers use burst bombs way more than the normal gobble of the actual roller.

NeoSeth

Senior Squid
No, the standard E-liter will not be obsolete. Burst Bombs are still powerful in the kit and the weapon itself is still insanely strong. Hopefully though, after this change I won't be seeing standard E-liters charging the front lines with Burst Bombs.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
No, the biggest dent for 3K mains will be the -10% slower speed, and even then i get this feeling it won't harm the weapon itself that much because it fulfills an unique function to a team. BB's were pretty cheesy, now they are getting pretty decent i'd imagine.

If you want to spam bursts try out the vanilla splattershot. It even has a whole rush of them!

nicky

Inkling
NNID
gardner.nt
I personally changed to the Custom. I never charged the front lines with my 3k but the burst bombs were an incredibly useful defensive tool. Now I have to rely on Kraken, which I've gotten used to. If you're considering switching, note the usefulness of running tenacity to help with always having that kraken charged. You'll have to sacrifice a damage up main though ;) I think this nerf is incredibly necessary. If you ever watched NIS play, their 3K stacked enough special saver to be able to through 5 burst bombs on a full tank. Way too broken, way too scary. I'm happy with the nerf.

CM86

Pro Squid
From someone who plays the E-liter 3k scope all the time, I can say that while the burst bomb nerf is noticeable and unfortunate, it is quite manageable. For one, I play defensively with the weapon, which makes sense considering it has the best range. This means I do not run into squids up close to often. When I do, I can usually splat a squid with 3 burst bombs. While I can't throw three at once, the first two burst bombs slow them down. Then I dip in the ink for an instant and throw a third. No biggie. Alternatively, you can throw two directs for a kill or throw two then shoot the E-liter quick at them. All of these strategies have been successful for me.

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
Absolutely not. They are still very benefitial, and with using three mains of strengths up, a single burst bomb and a shot of the E-Liter in close range are enough for me to still be a capable close combat fighter.

Brunosky_Inc

57% Squid Kid / 43% Hipster
NNID
Brunosky_Inc
That thingy's still very viable. Losing its ability to ninja smoke your way out of ambushes doesn't take that away; it only makes it so that the weapon's poor close range capabilities are not completely compensated by its sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom